Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, I've been using a lot of Si. I rarely use it being that it's my Inferior function. I've heard when such times happens, it's due to stress... or something along the lines. I'm still quite young, only twenty so there's no way I have easy access to such a function.

I find when I use Si to be horrible. I remember experiences so well, it's as if they happened only a moment ago. I remember every detail of the memory... it feels so fresh and yet, it's a memory. It's like reliving history; going back in time and going through it all again. It's horrible. Then all these regrets come flooding through...

I'm just stressed. Art school and relationships have royally fucked around with my mind. I know the stress will go but oh man... it feels like this stress is going to stay forever. Stress sure knows how to get comfortable real quick.

Now tell me, what have your experiences been like with an over active Si? I'm curious! How was it for you?

Saying that, Si can be fantastic. As I'm an ENFP, it is my least use function and so, I barely know how to use it. I'm sure those who have it as their dom/aux, can use it much better than I.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
IF I understand it correctly...I think my weak Si is involved in my anxiety disorder.... Like you say, sometimes the past will just hit me and I'll remember every detail of how I felt and everything that went on (usually negative events) and sometimes my reaction to events will be based on past experience rather than what is actually happening presently. If that's Si, I certainly don't know how to use it properly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Agreed! It feels like a survival mechanism gone haywire. Healthy Si is there to remind you about things that worked, and things that were unpleasant, so that you can pursue and avoid them, respectively. But an overactive Si not only keeps these memories razor-sharp, it seems to heighten the bad experiences. Like you're not ALLOWED to relive the good ones, 'cause you don't deserve it.

Well, that's my damaged mindset, anyway. I can't emotionally detach from the recorded information. Every miserable thing I've gone through is just waiting, coiled up, like a bad acid flashback waiting to happen. I wonder, in fact, if those nasty emotional memories are triggered by similar stress chemicals showing up in the blood.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I've been sitting in it for almost a year. It was induced by a huge amount of stress. However, I won't say that age doesn't play a factor as well. I hate it.

I normally take so many risks. I would pick up and move on like nothing else. But now, there is this idea of "the way things have been".

I've used Si in healthy ways many times before. I know when it is good. But to have something limit my capacity they way it has this year is both good and bad. I did need to ground myself more in the environment and I did have to relive and stop running from my past. I feel like I've been facing it dead on for the past year. But my behaviors are completely different.

I'm a high achiever. This time last year, I had about 4 different leadership positions, I was performing, I was in training for another marathon, but I wasn't taking care of something looming from my past: a huge custody battle. It was "icky" so I never wanted to really stop and take care of it.

Also up to that point, I had been in relationship after relationship, after relationship. I couldn't be without a relationship. I existed for relationships. I'd rather worry about a relationship than what was were some big issues from the past.

Then, the relationships stopped working. It felt like it broke in half. It really had gone wrong. In addition, I couldn't do it anymore. Then the custody issue from the past could no longer be stuffed away. The person who was always known for achieving a million and ten things at a time, finally had to focus on what was really around her.

Doing that, caused everything to halt. I've processed memory after memory in this past year. I used those memories to fight the hardest battle in court. I also used painful memories of relationships gone wrong, to keep me out of relationships for awhile.

I'm not sure when I'll have that "let's try anything mode" again. It's now been tinged with past mistakes and past hurts. I'm more cautious than I ever was. But I want to go back to me. Stopping everything was so hard for me. It's something I never ever imagined doing in my life. If any of you know anything about enneagram 3 and the shame you can feel when you stop achieving, that might enlighten you to how hard it has been to do just that. But I'm coping. Si makes sure to help me cope. It's always there lurking and reminding me.

I've had great success while letting my world "stop". My mother used to always say this about me: "That's one thing that has been constant with you. You always have to be doing several things. Always involved." So it was hard to let that image go for awhile. I will say again. Si has helped ground me for the time I needed to be grounded. I needed to focus better. But it is the strangest feeling. I'm telling you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Your strength will ultimately confound and defeat the bruises of the past. They ain't got nonthin' on you. [[hugs]]

Reactions: pinkrasputin

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@pinkrasputin: Wow. Thank you for the post. I can relate, but my sufferings weren't like yours. What I relate and understand most is taking risks, picking up and moving on like nothing else... but as of late, it's been the opposite. I hope it goes away soon.

Your description of an ENFP using Si is certainly interesting though it sounds a bit painful. It's good to hear that it can be used correctly, even by an ENFP. It's so easy to use Si when remembering the bad things... it just comes naturally. Hard work is required for me to Si positively. And I bet it is strange! I think when it comes to ENFPs, using Si will always be a strange experience, regardless of age. ;)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Well, I have an overactive Si for 6 years now. Something happened in the family that triggered it somehow. It was a rough period so maybe it was triggered by the coping skill of my ENFP type.

Last year I got in touch with the MBTI tests and I learned a lot about me. First I was diagnosed INFP, but somehow being alone and not going wild was somehow not me. It was anxiety creating. After 1 year I did the test again and now in a more feeling-stable-time or not-depressd-time and what a suprise!

ENFP Wooha! A lot of things were suddenly clear to me. I am more outdoors these days and it feels great. I need a job right now and I am thinking about promoting something. Or working @ a party scene (I like music a lot). A well I need the money to get out more :tongue:

Last but not least I am a coach in competitive swimming. And its frustrating that everytime some assistent coach or cocky swimmer speaks like he owns the world (conflict situation for me) my Si will become active. I would think of so many different ways to say to confront him and not do it because of the overactive Si. Thats the thing I need to work on now: JUST SAY IT DONT THINK! DO! :blushed:

Ah well little inside of my world.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Not an ENFP (ENTP) but I have the same similar thing. When I suffer from not enough sleep + stress I become kind of paranoid. Mostly I'm afraid people "above" me (parents, boss, etc) are going to find things out that I did in the past. I worry about being fired, getting in trouble (well I don't really care what my parents say but there are other repercussions) and other things and there is no need to be. Like at all, but it's always running through my mind. I'm at this stage right now and usually I'm really laid back but now I'm tense and stressed and paranoid and I hate it because I can calm myself down but as soon I stop consciously telling myself I have nothing to be afraid of it starts again. I miss being me :sad:

·
Registered
ESFJ
642 Posts
Wow, I think this has been my problem for the last two years. Any suggestions on how to get it under control? It's driving me NUTS! :unsure:

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Overactive, inferior Si...
I'm not sure, but there was this period in my life when I was trying to self-manage my ADD and was also having anxiety problems to add some stress. I became anal-retentive and planned and unwilling to stray from certain paths. That wasn't a good time in my life. If ever I suspected myself of being in shadow mode, it would have been then...

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
I hate Si.

With a passion!

Really!

But I also hate Fi.. so...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hate Si.

With a passion!

Really!

But I also hate Fi.. so...
How come?

I think Si is valuable if properly used. Hell, any function is awesome if it's used properly. Each function has equal strengths and weaknesses. Si can remember details with great accuracy. They compare past experiences with present reality. With such a rich memory of what worked and what didn't, Si users are able to form clear, realistic goals.

I like Fi... though it has left me looking a little aloof. :laughing:

I wish I could use Si properly... perhaps when I'm older. I'm too young and batshit. Whenever I do use Si, it's not used well. It's so damn negative. I just relive horrible memories. Thankfully, these moments are rare!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts