Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was called over-analytical. Is this an ISTJ thing?
This is how it came up:
I was asked to describe myself in 5 short words and those 5 words are going to be the description for all people who were born on the same month. I said that I'm afraid to look as snob. When they insisted, I said it's difficult for me to do it and describe myself because I know that I am an ISTJ and I'm afraid that I mix up these two things. That's when one of them said "over-analytical! that's it."

So, are we all over-analytical?

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Yesterday I was called over-analytical. Is this an ISTJ thing?
This is how it came up:
I was asked to describe myself in 5 short words and those 5 words are going to be the description for all people who were born on the same month. I said that I'm afraid to look as snob. When they insisted, I said it's difficult for me to do it and describe myself because I know that I am an ISTJ and I'm afraid that I mix up these two things. That's when one of them said "over-analytical! that's it."

So, are we all over-analytical?
Yes, we can tend to be over analytical, but in the scenario you've given, I would not say that was the case. More like it was a goofy game that had no basis in reality. IOW, it was asking to be shot down.

I would have reacted much the same way--as would most of my friends, regardless of type.

·
Registered
434 Posts
From my observations you're overly detailed more than anything.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
From my observations you're overly detailed more than anything.
I think this may be part of the same issue. We analyze something by breaking it down into its component parts so that we can then understand the whole. We must understand the details of how everything fits together in order to better understand the bigger picture.

Therefore, I suspect in this instance, saying we over analyze something is analogous to saying that we are overly detailed.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Well think about it, how practical is it to define the complexity of a human in just 5 words? I realize this wasn't life or death and was more or less a pointless game, but is there really a correct answer to that question? I would have said something like "Your mom is good in bed." to throw them off :crazy:

Edit: Got side tracked with the momma joke. Yes, "we" are analytical, but we're like that by choice, are we not? They say ignorance is bliss, well I say at most its temporary bliss. If there wasn't always a right or wrong way to do something; if there wasn't an answer to every question, etc. how much could you really get out of life? I see people on a daily basis who go through life without hardly giving it a second thought. How can you enjoy life like that? If you don't know and understand your surroundings, how can you appreciate them? If there is no rhyme or reason to the things we do, why exist? So in my eyes it is imperative that we use our God given gifts to fully understand everything we can about our very short life.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
My ISTJ sister will tell me something that happened to her, every detail, every impression, every expression of all parties involved. She'll ask at the end of the woeful tale in frustration, "I don't know! Am I over-analysing?" To which I'll reply with a heartfelt "YES!" Usually...I sometimes think she perceives something in a situation that was not there (like "That cashier was really rude!" And I'm scratching my head, thinking, "Where is she getting that?"), but now and then, I can honestly reassure her that she's not imagining things.

Reactions: Sela and niss

·
Registered
434 Posts
I think this may be part of the same issue. We analyze something by breaking it down into its component parts so that we can then understand the whole. We must understand the details of how everything fits together in order to better understand the bigger picture.

Therefore, I suspect in this instance, saying we over analyze something is analogous to saying that we are overly detailed.
You're analyzing detail though. It's the detail that's causing you to enter that "state." No detail, way less analysis. That's what I've noticed at least.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Oh and by details I'm referring to the concrete, sensational world. I should have said that. Like how many ways to put away a fork. That's what an ISTJ I work with is like when he goes overboard. (a.k.a. when he wants to stay really busy for the next 20 minutes to avoid being asked to do more work. That guy can really focus in.)

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
You're analyzing detail though. It's the detail that's causing you to enter that "state." No detail, way less analysis. That's what I've noticed at least.
I think the very definition of analyzing involves detail. So, without detail there indeed would be, not less analysis, but no analysis. What we have to watch for is spending so much time on the analysis that we get bogged down and never make it back to the reconstruction of the whole idea.:crazy:

·
Registered
434 Posts
You aren't dealing with the ideational realm though. It's the teeny tiny facts of the sensational realm you get lost in. Or at least that is what my post about my observations of ISTJ's was referring to.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Oh and by details I'm referring to the concrete, sensational world. I should have said that. Like how many ways to put away a fork. That's what an ISTJ I work with is like when he goes overboard. (a.k.a. when he wants to stay really busy for the next 20 minutes to avoid being asked to do more work. That guy can really focus in.)
Ooohhhhh....Now I remember that conversation. The one where you couldn't make the guy do what you wanted him to do. I think he was probably being passive aggressive to try to control what he could of the situation. You really shouldn't let that color your understanding of ISTJs. We aren't usually like that unless we feel we are being controlled unfairly.

Reactions: Sela

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
You aren't dealing with the ideational realm though. It's the teeny tiny facts of the sensational realm you get lost in. Or at least that is what my post about my observations of ISTJ's was referring to.
The realm makes no difference. The details are what you analyze.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I was 98% kidding. He is one of my best friends he just drives me nuts sometimes. I wanted to make a monument dedicated to all the times he's annoyed me in my life.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My dad is ISTJ and he's the same way. When he has a big project he gets overwhelmed and falls deeper into detail and then won't get started. It's a form of over analysis but I still think extreme attention to detail is the culprit rather than being over analytical in general.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well basically all thought is analysis in some sense. If you go that route the word becomes meaningless. My distinction between ideational and sensational was helpful. Facts not concepts.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Again, the definition requires the use of the word "detail." And no, it doesn't matter if we are analyzing abstract or concrete items, the details are what makes it analyzing.

As an ISTJ, I can assure you that your understanding of what is overwhelming an ISTJ is in error. In order to understand the project, we must break it down into its component parts--and that's not so hard for us. Nor is it hard for us to reassemble the component parts once they are understood. Where we get bogged down is in the unknowns--the "what if's" that cannot really be quantified. Cold, hard data doesn't really phase us. Ambiguous uncertainties will knock us on our can every time.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Everyone knows what I mean when I say ISTJ's are detailed. Stop trying to prove yourself.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts