Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what it looks like when an ISFP is overcompensating using SE?

I read somewhere that if they are brought up in a household that dosn't accept sensitivity or something the ISFP can overcompensate and try to be the toughest, smartest etc and its meant to be caused by SE so......

What kind of childhood experiences can cause this?

What are the characteristics of an ISFP doing this / what dose it look like? (male)

how can i counter this.

I think i may see this in myself so I'm curious as fuck as you can probably understand ;/

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not sure if overcompensating to be the toughest, smartest, etc. is related to the functions. The functions are meant to explain cognition, not necessarily behaviors/motivations. So Se involves the perception of sensory info. It isn't inherently aggressive or tough, at least not any more so than Ne, the other extraverted perceiving function.

Try taking a look at the Enneagram if you haven't already, it's more geared towards understanding behaviors and motivations.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Being overly competitive or sexual, also can be mistaken for Te. I had two Se parents and two Te grandparents, I love the 80s and will slit your throat, but am otherwise a very ethical person.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Overcompensating by being the toughest, smartest etc sounds like it could be inferior Te. Maybe take a look at info on the inferior function in ISFPs (there will be articles on the forum :) )

I think it's meant to be healthy for ISFPs to develop Se, as it's our second function. Jumping the gun to Te is where it can cause more issues I'm led to believe.

And yes could be related to enneagram too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts