Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you say overanalyzing is something we tend to do? I have seen alot of other responses that say so. What happens is the reason why finding purpose/meaning can be difficult for some as a result is because of doing so. In my experience if we just perceived things the 'way they are' instead of trying to make them into something else or ponder things move more normally and making friends is even easier? Happens often when I just arrive in a new environment with not as much experience.

So what say you? For those of you who find yourselves 'lonely' the key to fulfilment and finding it is that we cannot do so by overanalyzing things. I have a habit of pondering because I come from a side of my family that is very restrictive of what you can actually 'do'.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After all, we're idealists. I like to predict the future a lot, and I end up running through over what I want to say people (though I usually get caught off-guard alot), but most of the time it backfires and I absolutely need to stop thinking by talking to someone or finding something really chill or loud to listen to.

·
Registered
57 Posts
INFPs are often mistyped, and mostly mistyped as INTPs for good reason. We are analytical by nature, because our two extroverted cognitive functions are Intuition and Thinking. Those two together create an "analytical" trait, but often that is misconstrued as "amazing at science and maths" while INFPs aren't typically so good at that. We can be analytical in other ways, for example overanalysing a change in the way someone speaks to you. You might get upset and think that they're sick of you, that they hate you, that you've done something wrong but in reality they might just be tired or going through a rough time. INFPs are the embodiment of the whole "overanalysing something to the point of an emotional breakdown, and then when you wake up after crying yourself to sleep you realise that actually you were making a big deal out of nothing" thing.

·
Registered
INFP 5w6
1,322 Posts
Its trying to anticipate the future while letting the past hold you back that causes tension called anxiety, causing the mind to race to find a solution for a problem that doesn't exist, since what currently "is" is perfect. The resolve will be in the present moment.

I have a habit of pondering because I come from a side of my family that is very restrictive of what you can actually 'do'.
You are currently reinforcing this belief by justifying its existence from a time that no longer exists. Drop the past. You can change at any moment because you are free to do so.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What exactly do you mean with overanalizing?

Spending too much time between two or more choices? Or going too deep in meaning of something? Ex. You make a joke and the girl you like didnt laugh, so you start overthinking, she might think im an idiot or inmature bla bla....

In the first case, what help me a lot to be decisive is to write on paper my alternatives and make a actionable plan with the steps and timeframe for each step. TIP: allow you some flexibility with your timeframes, rigid generate stress and make you sensible to your emotions. In this scenarios the key is to keep rational and not emotional.

In the second scenario you also have to be rational but in a different way; questioning yourself and ideas. The vast majority of ideas tend to be irrational. Ex with the girl and the joke, you think she think you are an inmature, but maybe the reality was she didnt hear the joke because she was worry about something. In this scenario the "what if" tend to be a good friend.

Did I answer your quesstion?

Greeting

Charly the rabbit

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Yes, but we are not the only type. INFJs and INTJs do this as well -and they get in trouble, the ones I know irl anyways.

Even my ISFJ father all of a sudden since he reached his 60s he's become an overanalyzer, and he reads too much into things, and ponders too much about life, reaching conclusions that are ridiculous and harmful. He wasn't like this in years prior. I believe that his inferior Ne kicked in about ten years ago, and he became crazy with speculations and meanings and ponderings. He's also lost his ability for decision-making; Ne has turned him into an infant who can't make choices, it's incredible to watch the evolution.

I bet there's many other types who overanalyse, but I can't name names because I just don't have irl experience with them, only with the ones I mentioned.

Reactions: Hero of Freedom

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I developed a kind of impulsive side to me by trying to combat this actually, like I'll just do something immediately (or much quicker than I normally would at least) because I know I'll analyze it to death and never make a decision until forever hours later. I still have the problem though. It's a bit all or nothing ish.

Reactions: Hero of Freedom

·
Registered
52 Posts
Over analysing and overthinking is literally second nature for me. Every time I make a career choice or even something recreational I don't think too much of it at first but soon I will be weighing up if it's going to 'fulfil me' or going to be something long lasting. I'm constantly on a path to find my destiny, and I'm going to stop writing now because I've literally turned into a cliche. Bi!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think INFPs do get stuck in an analytical or theoretical loop a lot of times where we play out all permutations of a future event...the best way out of it is to simply accept its your processes going into overdrive but also make an attempt top actually do stuff in reality and see what happens...its often very rarely as bad as we think

1 - 10 of 10 Posts