Personality Cafe banner

Overcoming Rejection

3772 11
I think the biggest hindrance to me forming new and positive friendships and engaging in romantic relationships has been a dominating fear of rejection from other people.

I don't know why but I've always seemed to inspire hatred in other people. Its gotten to the point where it feels like people disliking me is inevitable, as if its a perception I have to actively fight to change. Projections? Self fulfilling prophecy? Probably both and then some.

And its hijacked my life.

I'm not asking for advice really, just venting . .

I figure the best place to start is with women. Fuck rejection, right? If they reject me its their loss and I'm stronger for it.

I want to get to the point where I can engage in social situations and not have rejection lingering in the background, influencing everything I do. I just want to be myself.

Why is that so fucking difficult?
Reactions: clear moon
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
I think it's because we care (really care) about our emotions and guard them very well against any ridicule (I didn't come up with this, I read it somewhere here, forget where exactly).

Rejection basically means (to us) that the emotions we're harboring for someone mean absolutely nothing to them. (that might not be the case at all, but still that's how we generally perceive it, at least at first).

We just can't stand that .. I don't know why. I guess we feel betrayed, in a way.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.