Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys find yourself overcompensationg on?

I don't know if this is the best example, but I leave myself way too much time to do things. Just today, I have to be somewhere at three, so at one I started to feel like "I have to get ready now! No time!" When really, all I have to do is brush my teeth and put some mascara on, which will take me maybe ten minutes. But nooo, I leave myself two hours to do that.
The same when I used to have a job. If I had to work at, say, 6. I would make sure I was home around 4 at the latest. It's not like I really needed those two hours to change my clothes and grab my purse, but I felt like I did?
Somewhere in me, I must know that I'm not good at the short-range time management, so I give myself too much time rather than risking being late.
I'm the same way with money. I always round way up. I would keep a couple hundred in the bank and not count it at all. I never needed it, but I just didn't want to go over. I never have gone over either, not even close, haha.

The time thing kind of confuses me. Ni is forward thinking, so I would think I would be able to plan better? But my Ni seems to only work in long-term future planning. When it comes to say, getting ready for going out or doing chores, my time management is a bit exagerrated.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
What do you guys find yourself overcompensationg on?

I don't know if this is the best example, but I leave myself way too much time to do things. Just today, I have to be somewhere at three, so at one I started to feel like "I have to get ready now! No time!" When really, all I have to do is brush my teeth and put some mascara on, which will take me maybe ten minutes. But nooo, I leave myself two hours to do that.
The same when I used to have a job. If I had to work at, say, 6. I would make sure I was home around 4 at the latest. It's not like I really needed those two hours to change my clothes and grab my purse, but I felt like I did?
Somewhere in me, I must know that I'm not good at the short-range time management, so I give myself too much time rather than risking being late.
I'm the same way with money. I always round way up. I would keep a couple hundred in the bank and not count it at all. I never needed it, but I just didn't want to go over. I never have gone over either, not even close, haha.

The time thing kind of confuses me. Ni is forward thinking, so I would think I would be able to plan better? But my Ni seems to only work in long-term future planning. When it comes to say, getting ready for going out or doing chores, my time management is a bit exagerrated.
I do this quite a bit. I've always assumed it had more to do with my 5ness and making sure my resources are in tact. I would say in the last year I've been a lot better at not constantly looking at the clock. I've always been someone who arrives at my destination 20 minutes earlier, just in case. My mom was always a late person and it drove me nuts, especially since it's something she denies when you bring it up. I do know I'm good at time management, so it was really hard for me to loosen the reigns, so to speak, and not become anxious as time the clock clicks by and I force myself to not jump into "getting ready mode" (2 hours before I actually need to).

One of the reasons I've tried to stop myself from doing this is because I tend to get really anxious once I'm all ready and there's still an hour before I actually have to leave. At that point, all I can think about is leaving and getting things done so the longer I have to sit and wait, the more anxious I get.

I also do the same thing with money. I can't say my short hand planning is bad though. Even if I only have 20 minutes to get ready, I'll certainly be a bit more flustered, but I can easily pull it off and run out the door on time.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do this quite a bit. I've always assumed it had more to do with my 5ness and making sure my resources are in tact. I would say in the last year I've been a lot better at not constantly looking at the clock. I've always been someone who arrives at my destination 20 minutes earlier, just in case. My mom was always a late person and it drove me nuts, especially since it's something she denies when you bring it up. I do know I'm good at time management, so it was really hard for me to loosen the reigns, so to speak, and not become anxious as time the clock clicks by and I force myself to not jump into "getting ready mode" (2 hours before I actually need to).

One of the reasons I've tried to stop myself from doing this is because I tend to get really anxious once I'm all ready and there's still an hour before I actually have to leave. At that point, all I can think about is leaving and getting things done so the longer I have to sit and wait, the more anxious I get.

I also do the same thing with money. I can't say my short hand planning is bad though. Even if I only have 20 minutes to get ready, I'll certainly be a bit more flustered, but I can easily pull it off and run out the door on time.
Haha. I can agree with so much of this! My mom is the same way. She's consistently late, always denies it, or will say she was only 10 minutes late when I've watched the clock and she's actually 30 minutes late. It always bothered me, so I think that's a big reason I make a point to be on time. And I certainly get anxious once I am ready too. It's the worse when I get ready to early and the person ends up being really late or being late and then cancelling because I am beyond ready at that point. You're right though, it may have to do more with the 5-ness than being INFJ. I have the habit of overpreparing sometimes. I figure rather safe than sorry, but sometimes I see that I am being ridiculous and need to relax.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Haha. I can agree with so much of this! My mom is the same way. She's consistently late, always denies it, or will say she was only 10 minutes late when I've watched the clock and she's actually 30 minutes late. It always bothered me, so I think that's a big reason I make a point to be on time. And I certainly get anxious once I am ready too. It's the worse when I get ready to early and the person ends up being really late or being late and then cancelling because I am beyond ready at that point. You're right though, it may have to do more with the 5-ness than being INFJ. I have the habit of overpreparing sometimes. I figure rather safe than sorry, but sometimes I see that I am being ridiculous and need to relax.
My dad is constantly late. Because I drop him off at the bus in the morning, I'm usually a few minutes late for work too. It bugs the hell outta me. It drives me nuts because it takes me all of 5 minutes, if that to get ready for the day. I shower, lay my clothes out and have everything ready the night before. It confounds me at times how some people don't do this.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I think I am apt to minimize rather than over compensate.. Ni tends to get to the heart of the matter and solve problems.

Some other possibilities.. Pre-Charge.. I give my self more time "to get ready" than I often need. Not because I need more time, but because I need to store energy.
Does anybody actually like having less money than they thought they did? It's impractical and potentially embarrassing. The Ni dom is known to not like embarrassment and money is a tool to solve problems. It's simply better to have more than you thought not less.
Ni shifts perspectives.. Like I just did.
You call it over compensation .. But to me it's minimizing.. You see addition. I see reduction.. To you, you are creating potential problems. To me you are clearly working on solving problems.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I also like to have a lot of time to prepare myself. I rarely forget things I have to do or forget my plans, but I need a lot of downtime and like to feel that if anything comes up I will be ready for it and have the time for it.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,469 Posts
I do that too (with time). I also underestimate how long things are going to take all the time. I'm like yeah, I'll just make these 10 different dishes for Thanksgiving and it'll only take me like 1 or 2 hours. 12 hours later...I'm still cooking/baking. I don't know why I do these things to myself. You'd think I learn but I never do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts