Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many people out there that believe that they are smart when they're not and it's so hard to make them understand that they are wrong when their arrogance hits the ceiling. It happens that exactly these people are being so confident about themselves that it can make one laugh ... or cry. The truth is that, if they'd knew how much there is to know and how little knowledge they actually have they'd see how ridiculous they look.

Is it possible that overconfidence has to do with education?
Is it a certain function (or functions) involved?
How can u make one understand that they are stupid? (sorry , I'm pissed)

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
How do you know you're not one of these people?

·
Banned
560 Posts
I don't think confidence is related to personality type. Sounds like you're talking about confidence in regards to intelligence. Have you heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect?

Taken from Wikipedia: The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.

Dunning

Reactions: Ramysa

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you know you're not one of these people?
I have times when I am insecure although I try not to show it. I'm pretty quiet most of the time and I avoid polemics . My friends tell me that I should be more daring . Even so, I do ask myself the same question. I continuously correct myself and push myself harder to do better and more, still , one can never be to sure.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think confidence is related to personality type. Sounds like you're talking about confidence in regards to intelligence. Have you heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect?

Taken from Wikipedia: The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.

Dunning

I had no idea. Thank you! I'm gonna look into it!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
There are so many people out there that believe that they are smart when they're not and it's so hard to make them understand that they are wrong when their arrogance hits the ceiling. It happens that exactly these people are being so confident about themselves that it can make one laugh ... or cry. The truth is that, if they'd knew how much there is to know and how little knowledge they actually have they'd see how ridiculous they look.

Is it possible that overconfidence has to do with education?
Is it a certain function (or functions) involved?
How can u make one understand that they are stupid? (sorry , I'm pissed)
Why does this bother you so much?

What bothers me is willful ignorance, but you'll find willfully ignorant people all across the scales of intelligence.

But, there are many different types of intelligence. I used to roll my eyes upon hearing this, thinking it was just a cop-out people would use to justify things like relativistic (even Nihilistic) complacency and mediocrity. But I've come to see that using "intelligence" as an mainstream means of categorizing human beings can lead to a lot of trouble with discrimination. As with many things, those with the most power end up determining what constitutes superior or meaningful intellect, as well as designating the "signifiers" one must use to prove they have it.

I mean, it's kind of disturbing to me how flippantly people joke about how "stupid people" should not be allowed to "breed". Yeah... a world of eugenics, which would doubtlessly end up being fueled by classism and ableism, that would be MY kind of world.

Anyway, I'm not saying there isn't a line. Some people just overall have a higher mental capacity and agility. I just worry about the emphasis we put on this sort of thing, for the wrong reasons. There's no need, in my opinion, to rage about someone else's level(s) of intellect...

If you're raging about their degree of willful ignorance... well, I don't have a good answer for you. People invest a lot of energy into being intelleectually irresponsible sometimes.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why does this bother you so much?

What bothers me is willful ignorance, but you'll find willfully ignorant people all across the scales of intelligence.

But, there are many different types of intelligence. I used to roll my eyes upon hearing this, thinking it was just a cop-out people would use to justify things like relativistic (even Nihilistic) complacency and mediocrity. But I've come to see that using "intelligence" as an mainstream means of categorizing human beings can lead to a lot of trouble with discrimination. As with many things, those with the most power end up determining what constitutes superior or meaningful intellect, as well as designating the "signifiers" one must use to prove they have it.

I mean, it's kind of disturbing to me how flippantly people joke about how "stupid people" should not be allowed to "breed". Yeah... a world of eugenics, which would doubtlessly end up being fueled by classism and ableism, that would be MY kind of world.

Anyway, I'm not saying there isn't a line. Some people just overall have a higher mental capacity and agility. I just worry about the emphasis we put on this sort of thing, for the wrong reasons. There's no need, in my opinion, to rage about someone else's level(s) of intellect...

If you're raging about their degree of willful ignorance... well, I don't have a good answer for you. People invest a lot of energy into being intelleectually irresponsible sometimes.

Thank you for your insight :) . And to answer your question : It bothers me because someone like that can mislead other people. Think abt having a parent like that, who thinks they know everything and "feed" their child all kinds of wrong info. How will that kid grow? Or in a group of individuals, when someone like that gives false info abt smth and someone else who actually has the right info tries to correct and "educate" that person but doesn't succeed, who do u think the group will follow? Who will they believe? Won't the wrong info spread?
Maybe I shouldn't be bothered but my mind keeps fabricating possible bad outcomes from every li'll thing and some are quite disastrous .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.