Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Preferably you get your point across with no aggression at all. Preferably people know there are consequences for not doing what is asked and will do their best.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I struggle with this, but my rule of thumb is when it becomes personal, it's aggressive. When it's impersonal, it's assertive.

It's not an exact science, but it helps.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Are you assuming aggressive = angry?

Because I do not. I see aggressive as being forcefully competitive, steam-rolling an idea. Being progressive not reactionary.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Too broad for me to provide a concise response. In what regard? Who are the parties in question? Boss- to- employees, I'm always assertive and need to be. If I'm being aggressive then something's wrong on my end. My point can and should be effectively communicated through clear language, word choice and tone.

Re: sales, we have goals to meet, and sometimes aggressive strategies for up selling, being very direct with client businesses, etc can mean the difference between them going with our brand over a competitor.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
Where do you draw the line? Specifically at work.
In terms of language:

At work, I think the line between assertive and aggressive is drawn at making it personal. I always try to avoid the words "you" and "I" or any variation of that - making the conversation about a thing, rather than the person. I think as soon as someone hears the word "you" directed at them, they take it personally. Not using it fosters more cooperation, in my opinion.

Assertive: All vouchers should be completed by Friday at 11:00.
Aggressive: You need to have your vouchers on my desk by Friday at 11:00

Assertive: The size of the picture on page 4 should be a little larger.
Aggressive: You should have made the picture on page 4 larger.

In terms of behavior:

It's all about body language, posture, tone, volume, and voice inflection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts