Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
MOTM Feb 2012
ISTJ 9w1
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This subtype is the one that has been most often associated with Fives – the intellectual who is interested in science, technology, acquiring facts and details. Fives with a Six-wing are the “analysts” and “catalogers” of their environments; they are problem solvers and excel at dissecting the components of a problem or thing to discover how it works. The traits of the Five and those of the Six-wing combine to produce one of the most “difficult” of the personality types to contact intimately or to sustain a relationship with. Both components, the Five and the Six, are in the Thinking Triad, and Fives with a Six-wing are perhaps the most intellectual of all the subtypes. They also tend to be more disengaged from their feelings than Fives with a Four-wing. Persons of this subtype have problems trusting others, both because they are essentially Fives and because the Six-wing reinforces anxiety, making any kind of risk-taking in relationships difficult. However the comping mechanisms of the Five and Six are somewhat at odds, creating an inner tension between the two components. Fives find security by withdrawing from others while Sixes find security by working cooperatively with others. Hence, their interpersonal relations are erratic and in general are not an important part of their lives. Noteworthy examples of this subtype include Bill gates, Stephen Hawking, Sigmund Freud, Simone Weil, Jacob Bronowski, Charles Darwin, Edward O. Wilson, Karl Marx, James Watson, Ursula K. LeGuin, Alfred Hitchcock, Doris Lessing, Cynthia Ozick, Bobby Fischer, B. F. Skinner, Isaac Asimov, Howard Hughes, Ezra Pound, and Theodore Kaczynski.

Healthy people of this subtype are more extroverted and focused on the external world than Fives with a Four-wing. They are not particularly introspective, preferring to observe and understand the world around them. Healthy Fives with a Six-wing observe the world with extraordinary clarity, combining the Five's drive for mastery with the Six's quest for certainty. The result is a gift for drawing meaningful conclusions from disparate facts, and an ability to make predictions based on those conclusions. They are often drawn to technical subjects, engineering, science, and philosophy, as well as inventing and repair work. The Six-wing gives this subtype a greater ability to cooperate with others and to bring a disciplined, persistent approach to their endeavors. There is more sufficient talent, Fives with a Six-wing can combine their innovation with business savvy, sometimes with very lucrative results. Their attention is more often directed at objects than at people although they identify strongly with key people in their lives. They may feel things deeply, but are extremely restrained in their emotional expression. In them we find an intellectual playfulness, a good sense of humor, as well as other attractive, loveable qualities. If others have been tested and permitted to come closer, they discover that people of this subtype have a deep capacity for friendship and commitment. There is also an endearing element in their desire to be accepted by others, and even if they are sometimes socially clumsy, others cannot help but be touched by their eagerness to reach out to people.

However, average persons of this subtype generally have problems with relationships. The Six-wing provides good organizational abilities and and endearing personal quality, but also adds to the Fives' anxiety and fearfulness. They don not see to know what to do with their feelings, much less how to express them directly. Hence we find an insensitivity to their own feelings and emotional needs, as well as to the feelings and emotional needs of others. They have little awareness about how they communicate themselves to others. (They are the classic intellectual nerd, the socially inept oddball.) Average Fives with a Six-wing can become extremely preoccupied, theoretical, and absent-minded. They are totally wrapped up with intellectual pursuits and live completely in their minds, immersing themselves in their work to the exclusion of everything else. When interpersonal conflicts arise, average Fives with a Six-wing avoid resolving problems by burying themselves even more deeply in their intellectual work, and by employing passive-aggressive techniques, putting off people and problems rather than dealing with them directly. They can be rebellious and argumentative for no apparent reason, although something may have touched off unconscious emotional associations. Fives with a Six-wing tend to cling more tenaciously to their views and theories (reductionism) and to antagonize people who disagree with them, whereas Fives with a Four-wing tend to reject all meaning (nihilism) and to disturb the certainty of people who seem insecure.

Unhealthy people of this subtype tend to be suspicious of people and to have counterphobic, contentious, and volatile reactions to others. They are extremely fearful of intimacy of any sort and can be highly unstable, with paranoid tendencies. Unconsciously seeking rescue, they also fearfully reject and antagonize their supporters. The isolation and mental distortion we see in unhealthy Fives are reinforced by the Six-wing's paranoia, inferiority, feelings and conviction of being persecuted. Neurotic Fives with a Six-wing ultimately become extremely phobic, projecting dangers everywhere while retreating from all social interaction. They may lash out at imagined enemies, and sometimes with lethal results. Psychotic breaks and madness are possible.

Riso, Don Richard., and Russ Hudson. Personality Types: Using the Enneagram for Self-discovery. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1996. Print.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I relate to much of what you wrote. Being roughly equal as a 4 and 6 wing, I've experienced the lowest of the lows and the highest of the highs, with an inclination for technical subjects and acquiring facts in an obsessive manner and enjoying the aesthetic pleasures as well.

Expressing genuine emotions that are intense within me continues to be a problem to grapple with, as well as maintaining relationships, or attempting to start one. I'm much more comfortable in solitude with small slivers of time with other people, but I feel that I've developed and melted away some underlying anxieties that 5s seem to have, from interacting when I do not want to, and trying what I fear, such as competing in extreme sports or finishing what I've started.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I've found that I have difficulty expressing myself, unless it's a very close relationship with someone.

I also have trouble finding an interest in other individuals. I value them as people, and see them as my equals but I don't take much interest in their lives or who they really are. This is unless something perks my interest, which is rare. Yet, I want to change that about me... at least I think I do. I often think what other people might be going through, and can empathize really well, but that doesn't translate into interest.

I seem to prefer a few, deep connections with people but I don't really know how to pursue that in life. And yet, I don't mind if I'm unable to attain that. I'm certain of what I am trying to achieve here and have full faith in that ideal now. With that mission at heart, I am happy, even if I haven't the slightest clue how I should go about performing that mission.

Us 5w6's shouldn't get down about our type. Look at those famous people that are listed; they are visionaries to be proud of, and reveal what potential we might bring to bear during our lives, in our own unique way.

·
Banned
221 Posts
As a 5w6, finding a comfortable place in mind to open up to others can get tricky. I find what helps me do that is being close to open, warm and easy going people, and that's precisely how my type 7(ESFP) childhood best friend was ( though I see this isn't a type specific thing). She was very warm and accepting of herself as well as others. I didn't feel judged around her as she made me feel secure about opening up and I felt I can reveal about even the worst part of myself.

Criticism when delivered in judgement/value neutral and constructive manner is much easier to accept on my end. I can take that as a problem to solve and look at it in an objective and detached way( as if I was my own lab study subject) thus "damage" is minimal and no hard feelings will ensue. Also, I find that I do well under consistency, routine and structure in an environment of personal relationships. That six wing craves it, and is helpful in maintaining my sense of well-being.

Regarding my emotional life as a 5w6, I had an experience of confirming its intensity( v. extensity) some years ago when my maternal grandma died. I grieved and cried(composed and calmly, though), but I was also rather preoccupied with helping out with funeral arrangements and helping others cope with the loss. About month after the funeral, I had a dream in my sleep. In it, my grandma was on her way/ "journey" on a senior sightseeing tour that she used to enjoy going when she was alive. I bid her farewell and that's when I realized that it's only a dream and she's no longer with us. This literally created a pain in my chest. A sharp one. It all hit me at that moment that I will never see her again. That absolute feeling of finality and loss hit so hard. I woke up from that dream not being able to breathe easily from crying. That experience has made me see how much of intense feelings are all in there largely trapped inside unexpressed.

I try to write cards and express my thanks to those I appreciate. Doing that helps me
scratch the surface of my thoughts and find feelings that are already there. Feeling is like a solvent, and with it, thought has a carrying agent to the recipient's heart. I find it much easier to come out with my feelings in writing than face-to-face exchanges(which feels topical and almost faux at times when it's really not). I think it's like that because congruent emotion to the thanks I'm saying can't come to the surface fast enough for me to experience it in myself at that moment. Thus delayed, and creates unease in saying/expressing so. My tritype is 5w6--4w5--9w1. I think that 4w5 pushes for emotional authenticity, and earning some time for myself to experience them when writing does help satisfy that 4w5 Bohemian inside me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've found that I have difficulty expressing myself, unless it's a very close relationship with someone.

I also have trouble finding an interest in other individuals. I value them as people, and see them as my equals but I don't take much interest in their lives or who they really are. This is unless something perks my interest, which is rare. Yet, I want to change that about me... at least I think I do. I often think what other people might be going through, and can empathize really well, but that doesn't translate into interest.

I seem to prefer a few, deep connections with people but I don't really know how to pursue that in life. And yet, I don't mind if I'm unable to attain that. I'm certain of what I am trying to achieve here and have full faith in that ideal now. With that mission at heart, I am happy, even if I haven't the slightest clue how I should go about performing that mission.

Us 5w6's shouldn't get down about our type. Look at those famous people that are listed; they are visionaries to be proud of, and reveal what potential we might bring to bear during our lives, in our own unique way.
I am very much like this aswell.. I try to listen to people and can empathize with them and their feelings, but its very rare for me to be interested in what they are saying.
I zone out so easily and this is a huge problem for me with relationships.
I find most people boring, when in fact its probably me who is the boring one.
How can I work on this and become a better person?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am very much like this aswell.. I try to listen to people and can empathize with them and their feelings, but its very rare for me to be interested in what they are saying.
I zone out so easily and this is a huge problem for me with relationships.
I find most people boring, when in fact its probably me who is the boring one.
How can I work on this and become a better person?
I can really relate to what you (two) are saying.
I too respect others and empathize with them, but rarily am I really interested in what they're saying. Maybe this is because most of the talk is small talk and/or i don't know them that well. When I'm with one of my close friends we can talk about nothing, but most times we talk on a deeper level about mature/interesting/deep stuff. Because of this (I think) all other talk with other people seems boring and useless.

I often know what to say, and what results that will have, but I don't feel like doing it.

On another note, do any of you have a sort of inner struggle sometimes where on one side you want to be social and on the other side you want to be alone?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I too respect others and empathize with them, but rarily am I really interested in what they're saying. Maybe this is because most of the talk is small talk and/or i don't know them that well. When I'm with one of my close friends we can talk about nothing, but most times we talk on a deeper level about mature/interesting/deep stuff. Because of this (I think) all other talk with other people seems boring and useless.

I often know what to say, and what results that will have, but I don't feel like doing it.

On another note, do any of you have a sort of inner struggle sometimes where on one side you want to be social and on the other side you want to be alone?

Yes its so confusing lol

Atm im a single mum of a 18 month old and im trying to find work. I'm very picky in where i would work, because of the inner struggle i have going on too. One minute i say i want and need to be more socialiable, but deep down i just want to be left alone.
I would have to work in a small organisation, but i just cant find anything and its getting to me so much.
I want a job and need a job seeing as i dont want to be on benefits forever but this constant fighting with myself is making my life so difficult.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've been spending most of my time in the INFP forum even though I feel a bit different to them. They're all so lovable whereas I'm more of a cold fish, though I wasn't always so. I find the Type 5w6 more accurate of the present me -

The traits of the Five and those of the Six-wing combine to produce one of the most “difficult” of the personality types to contact intimately or to sustain a relationship with. Both components, the Five and the Six, are in the Thinking Triad, and Fives with a Six-wing are perhaps the most intellectual of all the subtypes. They also tend to be more disengaged from their feelings than Fives with a Four-wing. Persons of this subtype have problems trusting others, both because they are essentially Fives and because the Six-wing reinforces anxiety, making any kind of risk-taking in relationships difficult.
The word intellectual conjures up a donnish air which isn't me. I do spend lots of time researching odd things but hardly intellectual.

I noticed that Citruss is 5w6--4w5--9w1 whereas I'm 5w6, 9w1, 2w1 and I think I'm sp/so but that changes depending on what I'm focusing on at the moment so I largely ignore that.

I often chat with another INFP | 5w6 and we get along well so I was wondering if other 5w6 types also had difficulties finding similar minds? Do you think your Type 5 is more significant than your MBTI type or vice versa or hardly matters?

·
Registered
718 Posts
@adagio
~Because you're not a cold fish. :p
You make me happy.

Reactions: adagio

·
Registered
73 Posts
This describes me perfectly. From top to bottom.
Irony: Being called a problem solver while unable to solve my own problems.
As to my feelings: I'm elated that someone understands who I am. But it makes me uncomfortable, too, especially at the end. It's frightening in it's accuracy.

·
Registered
73 Posts

I've noticed a while ago that I tend to zoom out when my sister is telling me something. At some point while she was again blabbling away about some game of hers or whatever I just interrupted her saying that I wasn't even listening anymore.
I shocked both of us with that statement. She was also offended.
But ever since that day, whenever I notice that I zoomed out I told her that and she got used to it, but it also gives her the opportunity to sort her own thoughts and then we try to resume the conversation where I zoomed out for I'm actually interested in what she says, she's just too erratic in her storytelling...
I'm also genuinely interested in other people's stories but I find that as soon as they start to tell me their stories I do not actually care about any of it. I'm not just bored, I really feel that I don't care. It can be the most interesting story, I just want them to be done already. It gets worse over time because I struggle to concentrate on them, because I don't want them to know that I have a problem staying focused on people.

Being social and alone at the same time? Almost constantly.
I grew up with two of my sisters constantly around me. I was never truly alone. I think that's why I always feel like I want someone close, just in case I want to talk or to fight boredom.
Yet it's pure horror. I want to be alone as soon as someone is there. Because no matter who it is, I have to pretend that I'm happier than I actually am.

The word intellectual conjures up a donnish air which isn't me. I do spend lots of time researching odd things but hardly intellectual.
Intellectual - of or associated with or requiring the use of the mind; "intellectual problems"; "the triumph of the rational over the animal side of man" (freedictionary.com)
:wink: doesn't mean you're intelligent though... in case you need some downgrading...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yet it's pure horror. I want to be alone as soon as someone is there. Because no matter who it is, I have to pretend that I'm happier than I actually am.
This. I feel like I'm constantly trying to pretend that I'm happier than I am with everyone except my husband (and even him sometimes). Even when I'm not particularly unhappy, I'm not exactly happy. But then I think I have a different opinion of what 'happy' is compared to most people.

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
I find myself nodding and relate with most of the things mentioned in the article. I wish it also has some tips on dealing with anxiety feelings when it comes to romantic relationship.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I find myself nodding and relate with most of the things mentioned in the article. I wish it also has some tips on dealing with anxiety feelings when it comes to romantic relationships.
You have it good, you are an extrovert. I am an INFP with anxiety.

I heard Xanax or Valium works well for people like us.
I normally get tipsy, very much like Rajesh from the Big Bang Theory.

Want to have a tip for anxiety for relationships. That's easy, FAKE NON-ANXIETY. People will never know you are nervous except you.

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,521 Posts
@MBTI Enthusiast

Fives find security by withdrawing from others while Sixes find security by working cooperatively with others.
I guess I have 5w6 and 6w5 traits...

They are not particularly introspective, preferring to observe and understand the world around them.
I'm kind of both... admittedly that could be 6w5 like or 4-ish...

Healthy Fives with a Six-wing observe the world with extraordinary clarity
Most people say extraordinary cynicism in my case though I don't come off as bitter (frank maybe).

·
Registered
21 Posts
You have it good, you are an extrovert. I am an INFP with anxiety.

I heard Xanax or Valium works well for people like us.
I normally get tipsy, very much like Rajesh from the Big Bang Theory.

Want to have a tip for anxiety for relationships. That's easy, FAKE NON-ANXIETY. People will never know you are nervous except you.
INFP and 5w6? I feel you, brother :) Anyway, thanks for the advice, looks like there's nothing better available :dry:

Reactions: Konkelvonk

·
Registered
18,509 Posts
This subtype is the one that has been most often associated with Fives – the intellectual who is interested in science, technology, acquiring facts and details.
And is a poor conceptualization of type 5w6 and I would in fact argue that it is R&H who have perpetuated this idea about 5w6 rather than helping to dispel stereotypes and misconceptions. While it is true that science can be considered a 6-like logical system, it doesn't mean a 5w6 must always be pre-occupied with or be interested in the sciences or even be scientists. Any type can, for a number of reasons, be a scientist or be pre-occupied with the sciences.

Fives with a Six-wing are the “analysts” and “catalogers” of their environments; they are problem solvers and excel at dissecting the components of a problem or thing to discover how it works.
Has zero relevance to avarice. Sounds what they are describing is a Ti type, not type 5.

The traits of the Five and those of the Six-wing combine to produce one of the most “difficult” of the personality types to contact intimately or to sustain a relationship with.
Both components, the Five and the Six, are in the Thinking Triad, and Fives with a Six-wing are perhaps the most intellectual of all the subtypes.
They don't relate at all. It would be like saying that a type 6 will always have issues having personal relationships with other people because they are in the center of the head triad. Also, why would 5w6 be the most intellectual of the all the subtypes? Is it because the 6 wing is in the mind center? That's a grave misunderstanding of how the mind center works and and a poor understanding of how type 5 works. Being in the mind center doesn't mean you have to be intellectual at all. All it means is that the primary feeling you are dealing with in your life is anxiety. Has nothing to do with whether one is intellectual or not.

Again, it sounds like what they are really describing is an inferior Fe type, a person who unconsciously seeks that social inclusion and interaction but often feel they are too misplaced to really fit in until a nice Fe type includes them.

They also tend to be more disengaged from their feelings than Fives with a Four-wing.
Not necessarily true either as a wide range of factors can determine this. Despite my 4 wing and my 4 fix, I would say I am very removed from my feelings to the point where I can't tell whether I am feeling happy or not until others around me actually point that I seem to be in a good mood. Therefore they put too much emphasis on wing, not enough on core.

Persons of this subtype have problems trusting others, both because they are essentially Fives and because the Six-wing reinforces anxiety, making any kind of risk-taking in relationships difficult.
All 5s have issues with trust because they are anxiety-based and they fear that people will take their time and energy away from them. 6 wing doesn't necessarily change this much though a 5w6 might be more distrustful of external systems.

However the comping mechanisms of the Five and Six are somewhat at odds, creating an inner tension between the two components. Fives find security by withdrawing from others while Sixes find security by working cooperatively with others.
Not every 6 finds security in co-operation. A phobic 6 might, a CP6 not.

Hence, their interpersonal relations are erratic and in general are not an important part of their lives.
Why would interpersonal relationships be important part of a 5's life whose life is controlled by avarice? The wing has little to do with this. It would be like saying that a 5w4 would be more withdrawn out of the type 5s but how is this determined as whole? Withdrawn-ness is a defense mechanism with one a type deals with conflict. In the case of type 5, it also has to do iwth energy and the fear of engulfment. But again, wing content doesn't really change this. This erratic behavior that they describe again sounds more like inferior Fe rather than an actual type 5.

Furthermore, what about sx and so types? They would seek interaction and interpersonal intimacy in ways an sp 5 would not.

Noteworthy examples of this subtype include Bill gates, Stephen Hawking, Sigmund Freud, Simone Weil, Jacob Bronowski, Charles Darwin, Edward O. Wilson, Karl Marx, James Watson, Ursula K. LeGuin, Alfred Hitchcock, Doris Lessing, Cynthia Ozick, Bobby Fischer, B. F. Skinner, Isaac Asimov, Howard Hughes, Ezra Pound, and Theodore Kaczynski.
Nice name-dropping but it's always dangerous trying to type celebrities to make something seem popular since we don't know them and it's therefore difficult to tell what drives these people in their lives.

Healthy people of this subtype are more extroverted and focused on the external world than Fives with a Four-wing.
False for numerous reasons. First of all, a 5 is a 5 regardless of wing and always integrates to 7 and 8 when integrating, both types that spend and focus energy outside of oneself. But if we are going to consider wing in account, 6 moves to 3 and 9, and 9 is a withdrawn type. If applying this logic, then a 5w6 would be more with withdrawn than a 5w4 assuming same health levels because 4 moves to 1 that gives type 4 the need to act on their image whereas 6 when moving to 9 becomes calmer and controlled and thus in a sense also, more withdrawn.

They are not particularly introspective, preferring to observe and understand the world around them.
Nothing that says a 5w6 cannot be introspective because of the 6 wing. It solely determines how the type 5 tries to understand the world which in this case is more focused through the existence of external systems rather than the need to reach one's own unique understanding.

Healthy Fives with a Six-wing observe the world with extraordinary clarity, combining the Five's drive for mastery with the Six's quest for certainty.
A type 5 also seeks certainty but for different reasons than a type 6. A type 5 tries to understand something to the very core, so it is wrong to say that 5 really seeks mastery. It is true that type 5 is a competency type, but the competence in type 5 is more of the backside of type 1. It isn't mastery that is sought because mastery suggests some kind of action. No, it is understanding which is very different. That understanding is not achieved until type 5 feels certain about what it is he understands. Therefore certainty is a vital aspect of the logos of type 5. It would similarly be more correct to say that type 6 seeks security rather than certainty. though yes, type 6 also seeks certainty but it is a different kind of certainty than what type 5 seeks. Type 5 seeks certainty in knowledge and understanding, that it is in a sense, absolute, but this is not the kind of certainty type 6 seeks. 6s, in a general sense, seeks the promise that something is and always will remain the same. Their kind of security is thus an expressed need for stability and security. Without clarifying this between the types this entire passage is incredibly misleading.

The result is a gift for drawing meaningful conclusions from disparate facts, and an ability to make predictions based on those conclusions.
Has nothing to do with type 5 and any type is capable of doing this. If anything, it sounds more like they are describing a person with a thinking preference in the MBTI system.

They are often drawn to technical subjects, engineering, science, and philosophy, as well as inventing and repair work.
Has nothing to do with type 5 and any person could be interested in this for a wide variety of reasons.

The Six-wing gives this subtype a greater ability to cooperate with others and to bring a disciplined, persistent approach to their endeavors.
Not necessarily because a 5 is still a 5 with a line to 7 and 8. Other aspects play a role as well such as tritype etc. A 592 will be far more co-operative than a 584 will.

There is more sufficient talent, Fives with a Six-wing can combine their innovation with business savvy, sometimes with very lucrative results.
Vague and meaningless sentence. Any person can achieve this for a wide variety of reasons.

Their attention is more often directed at objects than at people although they identify strongly with key people in their lives.
But people are objects. What they really want to express here is likely that a 5, especially a 5w6, is more attuned to external systems than the people within those systems, though still shoddily done. It also sounds more like they are describing a Jungian extrovert than an actual 5.

They may feel things deeply, but are extremely restrained in their emotional expression.
Describing someone with inferior feeling but not necessarily a 5.

In them we find an intellectual playfulness, a good sense of humor, as well as other attractive, loveable qualities.
Hello there alpha quadra description.

If others have been tested and permitted to come closer, they discover that people of this subtype have a deep capacity for friendship and commitment.
Allow me to express this, but duh, as is every type as capable of doing since this is not type-related.

There is also an endearing element in their desire to be accepted by others, and even if they are sometimes socially clumsy, others cannot help but be touched by their eagerness to reach out to people.
Hello inferior Fe.

However, average persons of this subtype generally have problems with relationships.
Of course, since having issues with friendships has nothing to do with one's enneatype.

The Six-wing provides good organizational abilities and and endearing personal quality, but also adds to the Fives' anxiety and fearfulness.
What is described here is entirely irrelevant to actual type 6 and 5. Any person can be this without being neither.

They don not see to know what to do with their feelings, much less how to express them directly.
Inferior feeling but has nothing to do with enneagram.

Hence we find an insensitivity to their own feelings and emotional needs, as well as to the feelings and emotional needs of others.
Describing a thinker in MBTI.

They have little awareness about how they communicate themselves to others. (They are the classic intellectual nerd, the socially inept oddball.)
Inferior feeling with focus on Fe. Again has nothing to do with enneagram.

Average Fives with a Six-wing can become extremely preoccupied, theoretical, and absent-minded.
Has nothing to do with type 5 nor 6. Any type can be pre-occupied, theoretical and absent-minded.

They are totally wrapped up with intellectual pursuits and live completely in their minds, immersing themselves in their work to the exclusion of everything else.
Sounds like introversion but this isn't necessarily a quality of neither 5 nor 6.

When interpersonal conflicts arise, average Fives with a Six-wing avoid resolving problems by burying themselves even more deeply in their intellectual work, and by employing passive-aggressive techniques, putting off people and problems rather than dealing with them directly.
Sounds like someone with inferior feeling but has nothing to do with enneagram.

They can be rebellious and argumentative for no apparent reason, although something may have touched off unconscious emotional associations.
Entirely unrelated to wing-influence. All 5s should be rather argumentative and rebellious at some level because of the connections type 5 has to 7 and 8, both id types and one of them is a another power-seek type whose sense of power comes through the control over the environment.

Fives with a Six-wing tend to cling more tenaciously to their views and theories (reductionism) and to antagonize people who disagree with them, whereas Fives with a Four-wing tend to reject all meaning (nihilism) and to disturb the certainty of people who seem insecure.
Entirely unrelated to enneagram. Fi types tend to antagonize people they disagree with because it is how Fi operates during conflict, whereas Fe types tend to try to shame the opponent. This has thus nothing to do with wing and R&H essentially assume that Fe = 6 wing and Fi = 4 wing. That's not how it works.

Unhealthy people of this subtype tend to be suspicious of people and to have counterphobic, contentious, and volatile reactions to others.
Sounds like type 6 to me, rather than type 5.

They are extremely fearful of intimacy of any sort and can be highly unstable, with paranoid tendencies.
Has nothing to do with enneagram per se though an sp/so or so/sp 5 could have issues with closer levels of intimacy.

Unconsciously seeking rescue, they also fearfully reject and antagonize their supporters.
Sounds like type 4 to me.

The isolation and mental distortion we see in unhealthy Fives are reinforced by the Six-wing's paranoia, inferiority, feelings and conviction of being persecuted.
Neurotic Fives with a Six-wing ultimately become extremely phobic, projecting dangers everywhere while retreating from all social interaction.
In other words, what they are really saying is a 5w6 when unhealthy becomes like an unhealthy type 6. That's not how it works. A 5 is a 5 is a 5 no matter the wing.
They may lash out at imagined enemies, and sometimes with lethal results. Psychotic breaks and madness are possible.
Any type can do this for any number of reasons. What determines type is why this is being done.

In other words, R&H descriptions are full of bullshit and don't describe type 5 at all but for most of the part they seem to describe some kind if IxTP who is really a counterphobic 6 so/sp. Good job R&H.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.