Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
MOTM Feb 2012
ISTJ 9w1
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The traits of the Six and the traits of the Seven reinforce each other. This subtype is more clearly extroverted, more interested in having a good time, more sociable, and, for better or worse, is less intensely focused on either the environment or itself than Sixes with a Five-wing. In this subtype, there is also a dynamic tension between the main type and wing. The Six focuses on commitment, responsibility, and sacrifice of personal pursuits for the sake of security, while the Seven focuses on experience, satisfaction of personal need, and keeping options open. (People of this subtype can sometimes seem like Twos.) They can be affable, supportive, and strongly identified with others. Sixes with a Seven-wing are more eager to be liked and accepted by others than the Six with a Five-wing and are also more hesitant to speak out. The Seven-wing adds sociability, playfulness, and enthusiasm, but the Six component can be uneasy with this, so Sixes with a Seven-wing frequently monitor the reactions of others to see if they are behaving acceptably. Noteworthy examples of this subtype include Jay Leno, Tom Hanks, Johnny Carson, Sally Field, Candice Bergen, Gilda Radner, Princess Diana, Marilyn Monroe, Julia Roberts, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Reggie Jackson, Patrick Swayze, Tom Selleck, Ted Kennedy, Andy Rooney, Rush Limbaugh, “Fred Mertz,” “Archie Bunker,” And “the Cowardly Lion.”

Healthy persons of this subtype desire to feel not only accepted and secure with others, but also happy, particularly with regard to material well-being. They have broad areas of interest and often have one or more hobbies or pastimes. People in this subtype are friendly and sociable, taking neither themselves nor life that seriously, or at least not solemnly. Many Sixes with a Seven-wing are attracted to the performing arts (acting, popular music) or other professions that allow them to combine their energetic, interpersonal qualities with discipline and craft (advertising, marketing, managing, law). They tend to be self-deprecating, and if possible, turn their fears into occasions for reassurance, further bonding with others, or even humor. Healthy Sixes with a Seven-wing are usually extremely playful and funny, since a sense of humor is one of their most salient means of coping with life and its tensions. They are generally more extroverted than the other subtype.

Average Sixes with a Seven-wing are also hardworking and loyal, but begin to have problems with procrastination and initiating projects. They tend to depend more on others for reassurance and will usually seek advice from a number of sources before coming to an important decision. If they get conflicting advice, they tend to be more indecisive than the Sixes with Five-wings. They do not handle anxiety, tension, or pressure will and often humor is used to deflect others, an d their passive-aggressiveness to get them out of unpleasant situations. Increasingly, the subtype complains, frets, and turns the Seven's propensity for envisioning options into a tendency to conceive of everything that can go wrong in a situation. At the same time, the Seven-wing causes them to succor themselves with various distractions and compensations. Overeating, drinking, and substance abuse may enter the picture, along with nonproductive “hanging out” (the good ol' boy, the gal who hangs out at the local bar or club). Sixes with a Seven-wing may not take the strong political stands of Sixes with a Five-wing, but they tend to become highly opinionated and quite vocal about their likes and dislikes. Because they are afraid of confronting the real sources of discontent in their lives, however, their anxieties about personal failings or important relationships are often displaced onto helpless “third parties” – the “kicking the cat” syndrome.

Unhealthy persons of this subtype are more disposed to becoming dependent on others, and do not attempt to disguise the depth of their emotional needs. They may become struck in abusive working conditions while dependent upon other people, addictive substances, or both. Inferiority feelings combine with the desire to escape from themselves. Unhealthy Sixes with a Seven-wing have few means of dealing with anxiety, and as anxiety gets worse, they become increasingly emotionally erratic. People of this subtype are in a flight from anxiety, tending to become manic rather than paranoid. They act out their unconscious fears, flying into hysterical overreactions much more readily than the other subtype, making them highly unpredictable and reckless. They may alternate between desperately clinging to destructive relationships and lashing out at their supporters. This subtype is also subject to debilitating panic attacks, since anxiety, rather than aggression, has the upper hand. Suicide attempts, as a way of eliciting help, are likely.

Riso, Don Richard., and Russ Hudson. Personality Types: Using the Enneagram for Self-discovery. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1996. Print.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
:O well I'm supposed to be type 6w7....but I can't relate to this at all. I'm very withdrawn, I tend to numb out and disconnect. I only joke around if I feel safe and conformable and if I sense others will be able to handle it. I'm also slow and slothy, very contained and relaxed, even if I'm nervous on the inside. Tend to not pay atention to my surroundings much, especially if things get boring I'll just vanish into my mind and won't be present mentally much.

I barely use any substances like alcohol to keep me calm lol, if they do anything it is to turn me into an ENFP and I got drunk only once in my life, never got addicted to anything. I'm far from extroverted, not interested in the performing arts and don't get manic.

As to being social...well I'm not. It is difficult and draining for me, especially once it gets boring.

I am also highly independent of other people, but like having company.

Starting to think I'm a 9 or I'm really just 4w5. I'm unsure about 9 thou. I don't shut out negative things.

·
MOTM Feb 2012
ISTJ 9w1
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:O well I'm supposed to be type 6w7....but I can't relate to this at all. I'm very withdrawn, I tend to numb out and disconnect. I only joke around if I feel safe and conformable and if I sense others will be able to handle it. I'm also slow and slothy, very contained and relaxed, even if I'm nervous on the inside. Tend to not pay atention to my surroundings much, especially if things get boring I'll just vanish into my mind and won't be present mentally much.

I barely use any substances like alcohol to keep me calm lol, if they do anything it is to turn me into an ENFP and I got drunk only once in my life, never got addicted to anything. I'm far from extroverted, not interested in the performing arts and don't get manic.

As to being social...well I'm not. It is difficult and draining for me, especially once it gets boring.

I am also highly independent of other people, but like having company.

Starting to think I'm a 9 or I'm really just 4w5. I'm unsure about 9 thou. I don't shut out negative things.
Yeah. That in particular sounds very 9-ish. You don't shut out negative things, but do you honestly perceive them as negative? Because it only matters what you inside believe, not what society believes.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Yeah. That in particular sounds very 9-ish. You don't shut out negative things, but do you honestly perceive them as negative? Because it only matters what you inside believe, not what society believes.
Hmm could you give me an example? There are a lot of things other people see as strange and negative, which I quite enjoy. Obviously I will react immediately or eventually to things I perceive as negative.

:\ this is all very confusing. All I know I tend to withdraw from the world and live in my head :p. It is sort of a coping mechanism. Things stress me so I disconnect. I sleep like a rock before exams, even if I'm stressed out for example.

From what I have read thou type 9 disconnects from itself and focuses on the world around it. I do the opposite. I disconnect from the world and focus on my own internal processes or fantasy land :p.

·
MOTM Feb 2012
ISTJ 9w1
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm could you give me an example? There are a lot of things other people see as strange and negative, which I quite enjoy. Obviously I will react immediately or eventually to things I perceive as negative.
I remember you started a thread in the 9 forum about liking "dark" things, which is why I said that. See, just because you like that stuff doesn't mean you aren't a 9. It's the wrong sense of the word "negative". Nines are all about keeping their inner peace. If that stuff doesn't upset you inside, then it isn't a negative thing to you, although society might say it is. However, if you relish in the feeling it gives you (especially if it is non-happy) then that might point to 4, as 4s enjoy the full spectrum and depth of feelings. Usually we 9s tend to numb out truly negative things, like our own feelings of inadequacy, sadness, and especially anger. We don't want to be feeling negatively. Sometimes we can tone down our joyful feelings too. We're just very even-keeled. I'll probably type up the 9 description soon.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I remember you started a thread in the 9 forum about liking "dark" things, which is why I said that. See, just because you like that stuff doesn't mean you aren't a 9. It's the wrong sense of the word "negative". Nines are all about keeping their inner peace. If that stuff doesn't upset you inside, then it isn't a negative thing to you, although society might say it is. However, if you relish in the feeling it gives you (especially if it is non-happy) then that might point to 4, as 4s enjoy the full spectrum and depth of feelings. Usually we 9s tend to numb out truly negative things, like our own feelings of inadequacy, sadness, and especially anger. We don't want to be feeling negatively. Sometimes we can tone down our joyful feelings too. We're just very even-keeled. I'll probably type up the 9 description soon.

Hmm I seem to be the opposite of that. Meaning: I numb out to the world and become highly aware of my internal workings. Its like I detach from the external world and hide in my mind. This makes me unresponsive and not attentive sometimes, like my head is in the clouds. Sucks really bad when we play some card game or something where I need to focus, but I get bored and my mind starts to wander off.

o.o the description thou is very good for type 6w7 and I thank you for reminding me that I may just not be type 6.

EDIT: But then again maybe I am! XP...see the above doubting pattern. x.x...gah...6w7 for sure.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I tend to get lost inside my head. Today I did and when I snapped to I wondered if anyone had been talking to me or yelling at me. :p For the most part some interesting idea catches my attention and then I am off on a train of thought. I can be quite internally aware too at times, and I often puzzle myself more than other people puzzle me.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm supposed to be a 6w7 too and I think I can relate to it mostly. I have varied interests (I have to admit I don persue all). I make friends easily but keep very few best friends. I'm mostly hardworking now (I was less disciplined in my teenage years) but I still have a bit of 'inertia'. Needs a little nudge to get started, and it's hard to stop once I start. In addition to all of that, I do hold down negative emotions usually.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I can relate to this more than w5, but I'm an introvert at heart. As much as I like social contact, it drains me so, so much. And the 7 wing helps me to be more realistic, but I do slip into pessimism when I'm worried for someone else. Say if they're ill.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hit me pretty spot on. I had previously come up with 6w7, along with some gentle coaching from a friend, but this really does solidify the diagnosis.

Thanks for posting that.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I am such a 6w7.

Yes, those bad parts about hysterical overreactions and debilitating panic attacks, too.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I'm not a core 6w7, but I relate to a lot of this -- enough that it reinforces to me I have 6w7 in my tritype. Probably some of my college friends see me as a 6w7 most of all. I could be very focused on my friends, joking around a lot, caring about being good to others and fun to be around. Also when I'm not doing well I can seem hysterical with bad panic attacks and suicidal feelings. Being secure and happy are always important to me.

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
I relate to all of this except the suicide attempts.

I always hold onto the hope that the anxiety will pass. Oddly enough it always does.

Same goes for panic attacks. I learned early on as a young child how to deal with them as they tended to appear out of nowhere. I mentioned it in another post, but telling myself, "Hey you weren't bothered before by this. Why are you worrying now?"

And then trying to process where the "..." of the fear is and just saying nothing has happened. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

The more I see it, the less freaked out I get. I also put more stock into my social skills and "go-getter" business attitude then my raw knowledge. It has gotten me into more places then people with straight As and perfect SATs.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Oh yes, I am a 6w7. I felt identified with this description, but again, we're the masters of ambivalence, ambiguity and unpredictability; we go readily the other way around at the next moment.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm seriously starting to wonder about this...O_O 6w7 does sound a lot like me at least on a day to day basis.

I'll have to look into this more...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts