Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here played Blizzard's new and rather popular FPS? So far, I haven't seen a thread about it here.

I like it so far and play quite often. I have it on PS4 because my laptop specs wouldn't run the game so well on PC, but it's just fine on PS4 as well. I suppose I can share my PSN if there's any other PS4 players out here. (I also play Borderlands games on PS4)

Do tell me if you play Overwatch and on which platform. Also, which of the characters do you main or do you tend to main at all and rather play any of them when needed?

(+ Do you have any insight on the characters MBTI types?)

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
The game is fun, the player base is awful. Not awful in a trolling/harassment way, but awful in that most seem to lack functioning brains.

I've played other games where the players were bad, but something about overwatch seems to have attracted an exceedingly large number of them. After my 10th loss in a row, watching my teammates basically kill themselves on the bullets being fired at them(they would run straight at the enemy), I uninstalled the game.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
The game is fun, the player base is awful. Not awful in a trolling/harassment way, but awful in that most seem to lack functioning brains.

I've played other games where the players were bad, but something about overwatch seems to have attracted an exceedingly large number of them. After my 10th loss in a row, watching my teammates basically kill themselves on the bullets being fired at them(they would run straight at the enemy), I uninstalled the game.
Are we gamer souls? Replace 'Overwatch' with 'League of Legends' and you have my on and off relationship explained.

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
Are we gamer souls? Replace 'Overwatch' with 'League of Legends' and you have my on and off relationship explained.

I wouldn't be surprised. I've seen mention of LoL players moving to Overwatch on a few occasions.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised. I've seen mention of LoL players moving to Overwatch on a few occasions.
Yeah... problem is most that flock en masse to Overwatch were the bottom of the barrel in terms of comprehension skill when it came to League. I.E: The legitimate terrible players with ego complexes so big that they could eclipse a supernova. League is nothing more than a breeding ground for those that thought they were 'competitive' and when they got their asses smashed in league, they decided to go to the next game.

Classic humanity.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I am so totally with you guys. Game is great, community is horrid.

In competitive I had a team in which I was the lone support trying to keep 5 offense heroes alive. No tanks. We lost the first round REAL quickly. I was like "That's what we get for having no tank" and I was met with a chorus of "Why couldn't YOU have switched, then?" To which I replied "Because I'm support, and that's something people are infinitely less likely to play."

I mean, meta breaking is nice and all, but at the same time, the meta exists for very good reasons. And the meta is to have 2 Tanks, 2 Supports, and 2 Damage heroes. Two tanks to reinforce the frontline, two healers in case one dies, and two damage dealers is plenty of DPS for the team. Unless we're a coordinated premade, I'd very much rather stick to the established meta strategies and team composition. So focus on winning and don't try anything funny; that's what quick play is for.

·
Banned
7,928 Posts

In competitive I had a team in which I was the lone support trying to keep 5 offense heroes alive. No tanks. We lost the first round REAL quickly. I was like "That's what we get for having no tank" and I was met with a chorus of "Why couldn't YOU have switched, then?" To which I replied "Because I'm support, and that's something people are infinitely less likely to play."

I mean, meta breaking is nice and all, but at the same time, the meta exists for very good reasons. And the meta is to have 2 Tanks, 2 Supports, and 2 Damage heroes. Two tanks to reinforce the frontline, two healers in case one dies, and two damage dealers is plenty of DPS for the team. Unless we're a coordinated premade, I'd very much rather stick to the established meta strategies and team composition. So focus on winning and don't try anything funny; that's what quick play is for.

That's another thing that got to me.
Everyone else is going DPS, and I'm sitting there trying to figure out whether to go tank or support. If I went support, the entire team would go in opposite directions. If I went tank, the entire team would hide around corners when it was time to push. I lost count of how many times I'd be sitting there with Reinhardt's shield, slowly pushing up, then realize NOBODY followed me. They were all there one moment, and then when the enemy appeared, my team ran away.

I'd always end up just playing Roadhog, since he could heal himself, and it would let me hook single targets and kill them. There were a few games where I ended up getting gold medals in almost everything. Even damage.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I agree with you. Especially playing competitive without purposely well formed group via friends, or so, feels somewhat useless because I find myself being the only one taking it seriously sometimes and my rank suffers because of those less serious or plain dumb people there. Though it helps a bit when you can't choose the same character twice to a competitive team, but some people clearly have no strategy in mind and half of the heroes in defense team are DPS, for example.
Playing with PS4 also means no typing chat and the only way to tell them to get that third Genji out of the team is via voice chat and I'm not using voice chat with strangers, just a bit too uncomfortable.

Though I do enjoy the quick play and those less frequent times when your teammates seem to take competitive seriously enough. Also the lore is nice.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,200 Posts
I really enjoy playing the game but I took a break from the competitive mode because of the same problems - players choosing offense heroes on defense, switching heroes on a winning game, losing because some player left the match that was going perfectly fine, and me always having to fill in the tank and support roles. It's so frustrating watching the rank go up and down after all that effort too. I was very close to reaching the next rank (diamond).

But I'm not pulling the "I lost because my team is shit" card because sometimes it is also a fault of my own. But I do wish people would co-operate more often, bc that is what winning relies on. I actually don't main widow. D.va is my most played character. I like to annoy the enemy team with mercy by reviving everyone after they burned out all of their ults ^-^

·
Registered
ESTP - SEE Fi
4,694 Posts
I really enjoy playing the game but I took a break from the competitive mode because of the same problems - players choosing offense heroes on defense, switching heroes on a winning game, losing because some player left the match that was going perfectly fine, and me always having to fill in the tank and support roles. It's so frustrating watching the rank go up and down after all that effort too. I was very close to reaching the next rank (diamond).

But I'm not pulling the "I lost because my team is shit" card because sometimes it is also a fault of my own. But I do wish people would co-operate more often, bc that is what winning relies on. I actually don't main widow. D.va is my most played character. I like to annoy the enemy team with mercy by reviving everyone after they burned out all of their ults ^-^
Actually I think your post is a tad stupid. Picking offense hero in defense is the most viable strategy since McCree / Reaper are invaluable. Same goes for Tracer if you can pull it off on some maps.

Defense heroes are noteworthy for being unreliable outside of Hanzo in King of the hill. Mei's buff is still not adressing her lack of sustained damage in order to be a worthy threat, and all the other defense heroes are in F tier, meaning they're getting picked at > or < 5% of the time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...overwatch_hero_meta_report_new_metas_come_in/

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,200 Posts
Actually I think your post is a tad stupid.
Tactfully put

Picking offense hero in defense is the most viable strategy since McCree / Reaper are invaluable. Same goes for Tracer if you can pull it off on some maps.

Defense heroes are noteworthy for being unreliable outside of Hanzo in King of the hill. Mei's buff is still not adressing her lack of sustained damage in order to be a worthy threat, and all the other defense heroes are in F tier, meaning they're getting picked at > or < 5% of the time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...overwatch_hero_meta_report_new_metas_come_in/
Defense heroes can deal huge damage if you position them right. That is the key to using them, except most people play in the style of an offensive character. Tracer is incredibly useful on defense for harassing and distracting the enemy back line, true. The enemy team can brush past too easily when there is no defences set up to push them back from the choke point.

·
Registered
INFJ ♀ 2w1 || 9w1 || 5w4 Sp/Sx Decadent.
835 Posts
MMMMMM I have several things to say about Overwatch.

Viewer discretion advised:

Tumblr pandering GARBAGE!

Now that I got that out of the way... I really enjoy the level of action and the cooperative gameplay I can enjoy with my friends.

My top mains are:
1. Mercy (Support)
2. D.va (Tank... Though I've been digging Reinhardt a lot lately)
3. Mei (Defensive)
4. Reaper (DPS)

My opinions on their MBTI types:

OFFENSE
Genji: Uhhhh either ISTP, INFJ OR ISFP
McCree: ESTP
Pharah: ISTJ
Reaper: INFP
Soldier 76: ISTP
Sombra: ENFP
Tracer: ESFP

DEFENCE
Bastion: RBOT
Hanzo: ISFJ
Junkrat: ENTP
Mei: INTP
Torbjorn: ISFP
Widowmaker: ISFP

TANK
D.va: ESTP
Orisa: RBOT
Reinhardt: ESFJ
Roadhog: ESFP
Winston: INFJ/INTP
Zarya: ESFJ

SUPPORT
Ana: ESTJ
Mercy: ISFJ
Lucio: ESFP
Symmetra: INTJ
Zenyatta: INFP

·
Registered
193 Posts
I play primarily with friends, mostly Zenyatta, Junkrat, Lucio, Mercy, or Torbjorn. I haven't been interested in competitive MOBAs since my early 20's, we're mostly just killing time and being bad.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I'd love to play it but as usual it isn't for me.

I really don't like FPS ( shooting specifically) it isn't that I'm anti-gun or anything. Just so not my style. I really like Genji but to play as him I guess you have to already be very good at the game.

So nope.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Ugh. This time the DBL post is not my fault. My net connection is all fucked up/

But while I'm here; the above argument si another huge reason why I don't play these games.

See, back in the day games were for enjoyment and relaxation. That is why they were called games and not work.

If I play a game it is for fun. Not to listen to a bunch of "Git gud" babies whine and bitch at me for my choice of character. I'm going to play whom i want to play and if you have such a problem with it you can leave.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ugh. This time the DBL post is not my fault. My net connection is all fucked up/

But while I'm here; the above argument si another huge reason why I don't play these games.

See, back in the day games were for enjoyment and relaxation. That is why they were called games and not work.

If I play a game it is for fun. Not to listen to a bunch of "Git gud" babies whine and bitch at me for my choice of character. I'm going to play whom i want to play and if you have such a problem with it you can leave.
Depends on who you play with. I'm pretty amused by the 16-21-year-old NEETs who are astonished that not everyone aspires to the shitty treatment and harsh hours of e-sports, but there are plenty of adults and chill people in Quick Play and Arcade for shits and giggles.

·
Banned
3,936 Posts
Well, it was fun, but I don't miss it much. Maybe I'll come back to it once I save up for PC upgrade. Stuttering doesn't really conttribute to pleasant experience.
Maining Trum-- Mei, Hana Sl--... D.Va for tank, Mr. Edgy McEdge aka Reaper for assault, and Mercy because nobody else would.

That's why I never play solo. Well, it's also plain boring. Online shooters and MOBAs are generally toxic environment due to overwhelming majority of players being immature brats of varying ages - there's no putting it other way.

Best illustrated at picking some support char - there will always be at least one retarded Widow/Hanzo/McCree who lurk God only knows where, but will always spam "I NEED HEALING". And that's from same people who bitch about "not following meta".

Generally, quick play is more bearable than competitive mode and is good fun with some skype banter in the background. Goes surprisingly well with bianco vermouth, I should note.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,200 Posts

Finally, Doomfist is here!

Overwatch is bad for players criticising character choices, but as a team game, it is necessary to choose a character that will compliment the team, but its more of an issue in ranked. In quick play players can choose who they want to play. I wish comp wasn't so toxic though. Some players just can't take a loss.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts