Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an article that said that Oxytocin makes people more extroverted and less fearful and anxious and also correlates negatively with amygdala-hippocampal complex volume. So MRI scans can be used to make a guess at personality. If so, then drugs can change a person's personality. Then can an INFJ become an ENFJ after some Oxytocin shots or lots of hugs from friends? Seems like our personalities are very physical in nature.

Oxytocin's Fingerprint in Personality Traits and Regional Brain Volume

Abstract
Oxytocin has a fundamental role in social behavior. In humans, supporting evidence shows that oxytocin enhances people's ability to trust or affiliate with others. A key question is whether differences in plasma oxytocin concentration in humans are related to people's differences in their social traits of personality and if such differences are reflected in the structural organization of brain areas responsive to the action of this hormone. We examined the correlation between oxytocin plasma levels and personality traits in 30 healthy subjects, tested with the Inventory revised neuroticism-extroversion-openness personality inventory (NEO-PI-R). By using the voxel-based morphometry technique, we also investigated changes in gray matter volume as a function of the plasma oxytocin level and NEO-PI-R scores. A positive correlation was found between plasma oxytocin and extraversion scores, a dimension that captures social affiliative tendencies. Moreover, we found an inverse correlation between plasma oxytocin and the volume of the right amygdala and the right hippocampus, 2 brain areas implicated in fear and anxiety. Finally, we showed that the amygdala-hippocampal complex correlate negatively with extraversion scores. Our findings provide evidence for a neural mechanism linking physiological oxytocin's variability and structural variation of brain regions relevant for emotion regulation to individual differences in affiliative personality traits.

https://academic.oup.com/cercor/article/24/2/479/354254
Cerebral Cortex, Volume 24, Issue 2, 1 February 2014, Pages 479–486, https://doi.org/10.1093/cercor/bhs328

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
as someone who is prescribed valium for sleep issues I can attest to that claim
valium is an opioid, along with oxy
I take 10 pills [10mg] per month
it does make me more extraverted in behavior
I can strike up a conversation with a total stranger
this is from a hard core INTJ 5W6 S.P
I should look into getting prescribed some valium then. I could use a little help in extroverting. :frustrating:

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
valium is an opioid, along with oxy
pretty sure valium is a straight-up benzo, no opioid chemistry involved

I take clonazepam (also a benzo), but for panic attacks not for sleep (unless a panic attack is making me lose sleep, not supposed to take it regularly). Also a too-introverted-for-my-own-good INTJ 5w6. I don't find that anti-anxiety medications make me more extroverted though. If I'm sleep-deprived they can make me more introverted because I'm too groggy to care about socializing.

However the oxytocin thing makes sense. I can't imagine being much of an oxytocin-oriented person. Some of the concepts described in relation to oxytocin seem foreign to me. Such as being "socially affiliative" or enjoying hugs.

Not sure if this is as scientifically valid, but the hormone-based personality types (which correlate with Kiersey temperaments) developed by Dr. Helen Fisher, fit well with those findings. FWIW, the oxytocin(/estrogen)-based personality on that test is my lowest score.

https://theanatomyoflove.com/relationship-quizzes/helen-fishers-personality-test/

Whether personality can change with biochemistry would depend just how alterable gross structure/function is. I can imagine changes like that in specific situations, more so than a change in someone's default that profoundly alters their character.

·
Spam-I-am
13,638 Posts
I should look into getting prescribed some valium then. I could use a little help in extroverting. :frustrating:
it affects me oddly
almost like a natural chemical that is lacking
I sleep 8 hours soundly
wake up feeling energized
and makes me very social
I can now talk to several people at once

Isn't this "oxy" oxycodone. The article is about oxytocin.
all ''oxy'' Pharma products are opioid based

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@vinniebob thanks for sharing your experience. That's fascinating that personalities can change with valium. Oxytocin and oxycodone kind of do similar things then.

INTJ becomes ENTJ. INFJ becomes ENFJ. What a big change! These are amazing little pills then.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Oxytocin and oxycodone kind of do similar things then.
In vinniebob it does, I suppose, but, there are differences between them generally. From what I heard and surmise, oxycodone acts more to "numb" or relieve pain while oxytocin acts more to calm. Also, oxytocin acts directly to effect people's feelings of good will for their in-group while opioids act directly on a brain system responsible for the controls of feelings of pain.

·
Spam-I-am
13,638 Posts
@vinniebob thanks for sharing your experience. That's fascinating that personalities can change with valium. Oxytocin and oxycodone kind of do similar things then.

INTJ becomes ENTJ. INFJ becomes ENFJ. What a big change! These are amazing little pills then.
I agree
I can only speak for myself it could affect others differently
I have become very popular since taking valium

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if there is a chemical that makes extroverted people introverted. Ritalin maybe? I wonder what it would be like to take a pill and wake up to be an introvert for a day.

·
Registered
771 Posts
More cuddles - more extroversion? Dam son. It's also worth mentioning that happiness is basically trait extroversion (in the big five) minus trait neuroticism. So that would mean more oxytocin, more happiness.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
it affects me oddly
almost like a natural chemical that is lacking
I sleep 8 hours soundly
wake up feeling energized
and makes me very social
I can now talk to several people at once

all ''oxy'' Pharma products are opioid based
FYI, oxytocin is not an opoid. There is more than one thing in life that starts with oxy :wink:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Given the findings that psychopaths have increased activity in the right amygdala and right hippocampus, I've often thought that it would be a worthwhile experiment to administer oxytocin to psychopaths. This would be the easiest to carry out in a forensic setting where there's usually a good percentage of them in the population. I'm actually surprised some PhD psychology graduate student hasn't already thought of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts