Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought to myself, "Wow, my desk is really messy...but it doesn't bother me." Then, I considered my dad's desk. It's clean and organized and orderly. :p I've read conflicting arguments about how organized P's and J's are. Some sources say that type doesn't really affect physical orderliness in their surroundings...and others say that J's tend to be much more organized than P's. Is it true? I believe my dad is Judging..and all the areas of the house that he occupies the most are very organized. My room and desk are disastrous and it doesn't bug me much as long as I know where things are...but it drives him nuts that I can't stay organized. Even my schoolwork is very disorganized. Being organized is important to him, but almost frivolous to me.

This is my desk. It's kind of disgusting. :sad: Oh well. >.<

And my dad's:

It's kind of funny and alarming how different our desks are. :/

Would this be a reliable way to determine whether someone is Perceiving or Judging?

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Well, I don't think that being a P would automatically mean that you have a messy desk area. But my desk would certainly not be as organized as your dad's for very long. My desk, at the moment, looks similar to yours. But I have been able to keep it somewhere in the middle at times.

Also, my mom's an INFJ, and while she tends to prefer for things to be neat and orderly, she tends to be a bit messy herself...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm not comfortable working at a desk, so I basically got rid of it to make room for a bigger tank for my ball python lol.

My room is kind of in ruins right now because of issues with code enforcement (all my stuff is in boxes basically), and normally I'd have a couch, not a recliner, and for a while I had the floor, but, here's the workplace of a 100% P

I still sometimes work on the floor anyway. Or the bed when I had one.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Your dad's desk looks messy to me... Way too much stuff on there... :crazy:

But then, I know I'm extreme... :happy:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I need some level of organization but tend to look above the everyday mess. No matter how much time you spend fighting it, at the end entropy will always take over :tongue:
You should see where I live... :) I have a designated space for entropy! :laughing:

joking aside: that actually works wonders for me, having one place where I put everything that doesn't fit. then I can just mentally tag that area as the "not sorted out yet"-spot. And I'm not bothered about it, because then everything in there is also in the right place... :laughing:

Reactions: vel

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
You should see where I live... :) I have a designated space for entropy! :laughing:

joking aside: that actually works wonders for me, having one place where I put everything that doesn't fit. then I can just mentally tag that area as the "not sorted out yet"-spot. And I'm not bothered about it, because then everything in there is also in the right place... :laughing:
ah, that's an interesting way to go about it :)

I decided to just get rid of most of my stuff. My observation has been that mess is suspiciously always made up of stuff. So then I figured that if I get rid of stuff then there will be less mess :laughing:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

I decided to just get rid of most of my stuff. My observation has been that mess is suspiciously always made up of stuff. So then I figured that if I get rid of stuff then there will be less mess :laughing:
Yeah, that is probably the better long-term solution. :happy:

It just takes forever to get there, when there is a significant other with opinions to consider as well...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Always when I want to type somebody fo J/P, I tend to think of their table but I was wrong a few times (they resulted as J's, although I don't believe it, they are REALLY messy). My table is pretty much as yours and even now, when I'm 23 and living at home just about one month per year, my J mum cleans my room. And my P dad's working room and basement.
So yeah, the workspace-measure is adequate :D

·
Banned
5,240 Posts

Your logic astounds me. :tongue:

Let's just say that even when I try to make something neat, it somehow gets messy again. I do have my limits when it comes to messiness, but it always takes less effort to mess something up than to make everything neat and organized. Perhaps this is proof that I am a P.

·
Registered
878 Posts
If you saw my workspace (and indeed my entire house) you'd think I was an extreme P by this rationale. I have incredibly messy piles of junk everywhere and sometimes they collapse into messy not-piles. I really like things neat and tidy and put away all lovely in one place but I am too lazy to get them that way and if they are neat I'm too lazy to keep them that way. Maybe my husband's P has rubbed off one me -- I used to be much more precise about where everything went and while I had lots of stuff it all had a place and looked neat.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am currently taking a week off to tidy my house so you can imagine how bad i can get. I tend to leave it until i have a good reason for doing so and this time it's because i want to rearrange and redecorate so a lot of stuff is going to have to be thrown out. I hardly ever put things back in their original place and it's a case of as long as i know where something is. I find when i tidy up i can't findsomething when i'm looking for it a few days later. My mum is an INFJ and she's more organised clutter! She apologises for the mess whenever i visit but to me it doesn't look that bad! She doesn't like anyone to move her stuff though because she "knows" where things are especially business (which is in piles in the kitchen, lounge, office and her bedroom!). Oh and all that i have on my computer desk is my computer, keypad, some earphones, mouse & mouse pad and some dust. You should see the rest of my room though. On second thoughts you shouldn't :crazy:

·
Registered
94 Posts
my workspace/desk/room is just organized chaos lol i generally know where most stuff is about 80% of the time. but then i have days like this where i mis-placed my tanning goggles and i could have sworn i put em in a certain spot but nooooo. not in the car either. it just makes more sense to buy new ones then to search the house for em lol even though i try to organize and stay "neat" it lasts for about 2-3 days and then its back to a mess. what the eeff?!

·
Registered
673 Posts
My office usually "looks" extremely organized. But as they say looks can be deceiving. Just because there isn't clutter everywhere doesn't make it organized. It just means the clutter is out of sight.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I need some level of organization but tend to look above the everyday mess. No matter how much time you spend fighting it, at the end entropy will always take over :tongue:
This.
Sometimes I think it might be nice to be able to keep a home like those where they have little bric-a-brac on display that don't get eaten and assimilated by the dust-clutter, but places that are too clean make me a little anxious too. I fight the entropy regularly, but it is more effort than it's worth especially when I have plenty of help creating the mess. My husband is ISTJ and he is messier than me.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm a neat freak that correlates to how stressed I am. If I'm really stressed, everything is disturbingly neat. If I'm pretty relaxed I can get *somewhat* apathetic. But even my apathy is usually neater than other people's.

My workspace is clean. Clean surfaces, very few knick-knacks. I like minimalist + bright colors. Inside the desk drawers can get messy and unorganized though. Mostly it's important to me that everything *looks* clean to the eye. I think it helps with my productivity.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
My desk is not very well organized. I usually have stuff all over my desk and bedroom. I also hate desks and prefer to do work at my bed. Or sometimes at a table. And I am a J, although I do not feel like I am very strong on that preference. I am usually able to find everything if I need it though so i guess that is all that matters.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I am slowly eliminating any type of drawer where I can stash something. I'm a pack rat but I'm minimalist, if that makes any sense. They often duke it out when I'm going through my tri-annual cleaning spree. My pack rat side wants to keep everything and my minimalist side wants to throw everything out. I usually end up doing something in-between the two extremes.

My desk, un-used desk mind you, is a complete mess. How can it be a mess when I never use it? I really have no idea. I think my clutter breeds while I'm asleep, just like my laundry.

Reactions: Heather

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
My space is messy, but it's not disorganized. There's the cds I was recently using pile, the ones I never use pile, the paper pile, the stuff I was too lazy to put back into its pile pile, the pens and pencil pile, and the stuff pile. It's a good system and I don't see a need to change it.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts

This is when it's messy because I'm using it for multiple purposes.

But srsly, I even have a coaster for my desk. I hate wires, unnecessary things, even that hand rest for keyboard is used when extremely necessary things. I like to make it look like I have plenty of space see.

Your dad's desk is awesome.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts