Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my ENFP friend and I are having a hard time conceptualizing exactly how much of a difference the P vs. J facet makes, and how it does so. More specifically, how does it, for example, change the dominant and auxillary functions between and INTP and an INTJ?

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Ok, so my ENFP friend and I are having a hard time conceptualizing exactly how much of a difference the P vs. J facet makes, and how it does so. More specifically, how does it, for example, change the dominant and auxillary functions between and INTP and an INTJ?
INTJs use an entirely different set of functions, if INTPs became more J, we'd become more like SFJs, our Si and Fe becoming more proficient.

·
Registered
103 Posts
P only means that you have an extroverted perception function (Ne or Se) more developed than an introverted one (Ni or Si).

What make you a P is your Ne being more dominant than your Si, and what makes INTJs Js is having Ni over Se.

For an INTP to become more J it would have to put Si over Ne which would make him an ISFJ or ESFJ like @NeedsNewNameNow said.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I think the people a above me did a good job explaining the differences between INTPs and INTJS.

To be very general, I think the difference between P and J is how new information is used and processed.

A P preference is the ability to leave any inferences very open-ended and revise them as needed. Practical implications of this include an avoidance of decision-making unless it is absolutely necessary. The perceiver must be very confident in his or her conclusion or they abstain from making it. Such a confidence is difficult for a perceiver because they know new information may change their conclusion, so they avoid it. Perceivers continuously process new information and build on whatever concept they are working on without ever really making a final judgement. They are very good at last minute improvisation and are very good at utilizing new findings in existing ideas.

I think a J preference is a desire for finality in conclusions. A person with a J preference is motivated by the result or the outcome of a problem, not necessarily the process of getting there. Practically speaking, J preferences tend to plan their methods of executing problems and they aren't ones to improvise. A J preference is utilizing a set of facts and drawing a conclusion on a given set of facts. They aren't so concerned with the possibility of new information changing their conclusions.

Both preferences have their pros and cons. Personally, I wouldn't trade my P in for anything.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
J/P designates whether you prefer to use a judging function (that's your T or F) or a perceiving function (your S or N) when relating to the outside world. Specifically, it's looking at your dominant extroverted function.

ALL extroverts with a judging function will have a dominant function of either T or F, while all extroverts with a perceiving function will have either S or N as their dom.

Introverts, on the other hand, have an introverted dominant function, so their secondary function is the extroverted one. So therefore, all P introverts have either S/N as their dominant extroverted function, and all J introverts have either T or F as their dominating extroverted characteristic.

This is why INTJs are so different than INTPs. You're looking at a dominant Ni with extroverted Te -- which makes them come across as much more intellectual externally but inside their minds jump to rapid conclusions almost subconsciously. INTPs on the other hand will extrovert Ne -- so externally our verbalization of thoughts is more spontaneous and playful (again, same function as INTJs, but it interacts internally for them and externally for us) -- and internalize Ti.

Same deal with the other functions. INTPs have Si then Fe, INTJs have Fi then Se.

I don't know if this answers your question at all, to be perfectly honest with you.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts