Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys pace back and forth while stuck in thought? How often, and for how long?

I do it more than I want to admit, and it has gotten progressively worse since I started taking meds my psychiatrist put me on.

Reactions: Froody Blue Gem

·
Registered
785 Posts
I pace all the time man, I have energy out the ass if I don't work out for a couple hours a day. If my mind is engrossed in a topic I also tend to pace obsessively. What does your doc have you on a stimulant?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yeah, I do it.

Typically whenever I have what I deem to be an interesting idea/thought to flesh out, I have the need to move.
If I’m at work I’ll choose that moment to do something that required me leaving the room, at home I don’t give it much thought and I’ll end up downstairs before I realise what I’m doing.
If I can’t leave my position for whatever reason, I’ll get quite fidgety.

It’s stupid really, because I invariably distract myself during my walk, it’s as if subconsciously I’m trying to sabotage my train of thought. I don’t understand it.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
I don't pace, but I can't help but start thinking intensely while I'm out walking. It's hard for me to stick in "thoughtless" mode when I'm perambulating. What I've heard is that when driving or walking (i.e., spatial transport) it engages a particular part of the brain that stops interfering with the abstracted thought centers.

Reactions: Froody Blue Gem

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
Yes.

I have a lot of weird habits like this. Not long, though. I just find myself doing it at home.

My hands are spastic too, my fingers sometimes start moving (kind of like flapping but not really) without my knowledge, it public it's embarrassing but that doesn't happen often.

I'm not on medication but when I was I think it actually happened less.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yes, I pace obsessively when I want to think. So much so, that I have a hard time sitting down and thinking.

I find it to be a terrible habit; it's like my brain is tricking me into thinking I'm "accomplishing" something, when in reality, all I'm doing is being stuck in a rut of thought instead of action.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I've also found pacing helps me think better, and I tend to pace when I'm thinking intensely about something. People often think there's something "wrong" with me when I'm doing it and ask if "I'm OK". On the contrary, I'm often the most excited and energized about life when I'm pacing.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
When I'm in school and need to pace, I ask to go to the bathroom so I can pace in peace. One time I was traversing along the bathroom when I heard the door open, and I immediately ran to the nearest mirror to make it look like I was fixing my hair XD.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to freak anyone out by looking crazy with my pacing. And it doesn't help that I also tend to talk to myself when I'm going through random thoughts... Something's wrong with me :unsure:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
When I'm sitting I fidget all the time, with every limb. My hands will shake, twirl pencils, grab things, etc. while my legs are switching sitting positions or rapidly tapping.

Actually, since most of my thinking is done at my desk, the rapid tapping is probably a substitute for pacing.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
When I'm sitting I fidget all the time, with every limb. My hands will shake, twirl pencils, grab things, etc. while my legs are switching sitting positions or rapidly tapping.

Actually, since most of my thinking is done at my desk, the rapid tapping is probably a substitute for pacing.
Ugh I tend to bounce my legs up and down, cross my ankles, switch positions, shake my feet, etc. And the PENCIL TWIRLING, don't even get me started on that.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I only pace when I'm on the phone ... or if I'm pissed ... but if I'm pissed then it's not really 'pacing'. It's just me wandering aimlessly outside until I either calm down or freeze to death(if it's in the winter).

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-2w3-5w4 so/sp, LII-Ne
2,613 Posts
When in a private place, I may skip and pace. Doing this helps me to process my thoughts, and my ideas are more complete and vivid. My art/creative projects are more complete when I have time to plan them out properly. I also utter my thoughts out loud when I get deep into my thought process. I make more random connections when I have time to myself to let my thoughts spawn at their fullest.

When there are other people around, I hold myself back from doing this. The thoughts and ideas are always on the mind, including when I'm at work or at class. They are more fleshed out when I'm in a quiet, solitary environment.

·
Registered
INTP 6w7
2,272 Posts
I don't pace back and forth while thinking. It would be too distracting from my thought process to watch where I was going, and dangerous if I didn't as I get so stuck in my thoughts I would probably run into things. I know an INTJ who does this regularly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts