Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever have one of these devient bastards!? I have had a few over the years and they are absolute bastards. Most recent was this morning. Took a swig of coffee and shit hit. It was like a one two punch. First a quick spin of the room, then, BAM! It was in full force, I jumped from my chair, dizzy and possibly derealisation (probably the result of the abrupt chemical release) Of course the room was not spinning. I moved my desk over, knocking my cell phone face down to the floor. I did not care. Started toward the stairs starting to wonder if I would would be conscious when the ambulance arrived. Wondering if "this was it" how long I was going to be in the hospital. Wondering where my brain fucked up. Thinking perhaps I was having a stroke or something.

I made it to the wall and held on, my legs felt like jello, I was still dizzy. I realized now I was shaking which explains the jello legs. I started up the stairs trying to think of what to say, when the thought hit me to try and calm down! My heart was racing, I was shaking, the spinning was starting to subside and I was still worried I was going to be found in a lump at the bottom of the stairs. At least someone would have heard me fall down them I guess. Stopping about a quarter of the way up the stairs, I held on the the railing and wall trying to calm my self down. It seemed to work. Just things started to subside, my mom came down to do something. At this point I was thinking about telling her I may need a trip to ER. Instead I just finished heading up stairs where things where coming to a lull. I was still shaking. I stayed upstairs for a few minutes then made my way back down, pulled out the phone that was on the floor and started to google to calm my nerves a bit.

The shaking slowed even more, the other symptoms peaked in a matter of a minute or two, the shaking lasted longer. Probably about 10 minutes. I am still a bit jumpy. I feel unrested now. Gee, I wonder why?

But at the same time, my thoughts seem clearer, I don't feel like I am as tense as I was earlier. The last few days I have felt pretty much despondent. Depressed, just cut off from the world. I feel a bit calmer now. Still apprehensive that another one of these bastards are going to hit, since they just tend to come with out warning.

But thinking back, there probably was a warning. The precursors: The ever sinking into the depressive spiral that I have been going through. The emotional roller coaster I have gone through over the past month. My sleep patterns have been jacked. Last week not much sleep. The last couple days, slept probably about 10 hours give or take. Wake up, hit the coffee. My Fe development and just other small shit building up that I have not been able to properly deal with, so, shit just gets bottled up, then what? This. Its happened before. Scary as shit.

You ever have a panic attack? What was it like for you?

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
I was hospitalized last year for a panic attack. I thought I was having a heart attack, and the whole "shit this is how its gunna end" thought process went through my head. Not fun stuff man.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,883 Posts
feeling: like a horde of ants devouring my body... or a one night stand that utters the words "I wuv you" by the dashboard lights... and there's a safety lock on the door.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I have pretty bad anxiety, but not panic attacks...normally. I DID used to get sleep paralysis and that was absolutely terrifying. My roommates snores were all garbled in my mind so it sounded like a demon laughing. Add that to not being able to move and being smothered by blankets...yeah.

I've had it a few times but that time freaked the shit out of me most of all.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I never had a panic attack but (I know it sounds so cruel) your description was hilarious. Just saying.

Reactions: AvocatInTraining

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have them fairly often, blah blah disorders. The world tilts, my throat closes up, my skin gets clammy, and I can feel my heart constrict to pebble-size. Shaking sometimes happens too--like a fever chill, but with more force. They used to freak me out, but they're essentially like a cough at this point.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've never had a panic attack either, and sleep paralysis? Seems terrifying from what I've read. I really hope it never happens to me. The brain is an amazing thing.

·
Registered
450 Posts
lastman said:
But thinking back, there probably was a warning. The precursors: The ever sinking into the depressive spiral that I have been going through. The emotional roller coaster I have gone through over the past month. My sleep patterns have been jacked. Last week not much sleep. The last couple days, slept probably about 10 hours give or take. Wake up, hit the coffee. My Fe development and just other small shit building up that I have not been able to properly deal with, so, shit just gets bottled up, then what? This. Its happened before. Scary as shit.
You're going to want to minimize this somehow. You need proper sleep to sort of even out and reset brain activity. Since weaning off the Seroquel I have lost the ability to fall asleep naturally so I've been taking Unisom (over the counter at most drug stores and doesn't make you feel like shit the next day).

Actually, I've spent most of my life stupidly unafraid of anything. I'm scared of THINGS or ideas rather but normally completely unaffected by the usual mortal fear stuff. I remember I made fun of a girl forever ago because she was having a panic attack at my place. I wish I could find her and apologize. I naturally run a bit manic but due to allergies I was tipped over into a delirious off state, psychotic/schizophrenic. The local docs, of course, threw me on entirely too much risperdal so the first month of recovery it was like a never ending panic attack. I was freaking out, badly. I either couldn't leave my bed (always moving though) or I had to be in a car or something. I had a problem where I had jolts of that icy cold fear coursing through my body at random times and it felt like my mind was attached to an insane chihuahua. I made it through 2 months of that and I demanded to go to the hospital to get a med change at 4 in the morn, I didn't get seen until 8. The main issue there was I was unable to read or focus until the second month so I could work out a possible solution and the docs just reassured me it was fine, assholes. I got a med change and you can imagine it like when you run your hands under cold water and finally start to feel a bit of warmth. I never had a problem with that again after that day but damn, I know how much they suck.

Its fairly common for panic attacks to ramp up when people hit their early 20's as the brain shifts gears and the prefrontal cortex starts to kick on, in many cases you can think yourself out of them somewhat.

CosmicJalapeno said:
I was hospitalized last year for a panic attack. I thought I was having a heart attack, and the whole "shit this is how its gunna end" thought process went through my head. Not fun stuff man.
I know the "death by heart attack" feel. The entire time I was taking Seroquel, probably 8 months, it caused my heart to do fucked up shit and it would lurch then restart and pound. Sucks.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I always feel a brief flash of panic first thing at work and I think about what I have to do that day. It only lasts briefly, though; I never have a full-blown panic attack that I can't get over. I also have brief panic attacks in certain social situations such as crowded parties where there's loud music; I can usually deal with it by quickly going outside for a breath of fresh air. It's funny, though; I usually disappear without warning so that whoever I was standing in a group with says, "where did you go?" when I get back.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I get panic attacks and anxiety attacks fairly often.
Sometimes they're relatively mild compared to the two times I had to be hospitalized. Same shit as @CosmicJalapeno .

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, I've had panic attacks. They're not fun. Thankfully, it's been quite some time since I've experienced one.

I have terrible allergies, and I've been through anaphylactic shock before. Seriously - I almost died. Amazingly, I was already/still IN the hospital when it began (it was to an antibiotic I was given), so the immediate treatment saved my life.

For a several years afterward, anytime my allergies would have even a moderate flare, I'd panic, thereby making it far worse. Of course I'd then panic more, and eventually end up in the ER due to allergies/hyperventilation/eventual uncontrollable asthma. It didn't matter where I was.

Finally, I encountered a sympathetic ER physician who sat down and explained what was really happening with me, instead of just treating my symptoms. I haven't had one since.

I've never been prone to them, say, due to social/performance reasons or anything. Thank goodness for that. I can't imagine.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I get them occasionally.

They are not fun. The wrenching feeling in your stomach, shallow breathing, the rush of adrenaline making it hard to calm yourself. The first time it happened I thought something was physically wrong with me, I didn't realize it was a panic attack until much later.

I experience pretty bad anxiety often, but once or twice a year, I will have a day that seems like one long panic attack, they will subside and come right back, I won't sleep for a couple days.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I get pretty bad anxiety with the reactions (shaking, heart palpitations, adrenaline rush, etc.). I've never had a panic attack, but just going with my own experience with anxiety, I feel bad for those that reach such a horrendous state.

P.S. @DarwinsBastard's avatar looks like @lastman's avatar having a panic attack... Coincidence? I think not.

292 Posts
I have never had a panic attack. I am surprised at how many of you have. I didn't even know that was so common among our type. I have had only mild anxiety in the past... not nearly enough to require medication. The closest scenario I can imagine that might cause a panic attack is being under the influence of some sort of drug that really causes me to lose the ability to think rationally, while being physically trapped in a large social group against my will. This would be worse for me than being held at gunpoint.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I get them a few times a month or so. Especially when I'm out in public and in crowded places. Yesterday was a day where my anxiety was bad and I was walking through walmart and the mixture of my social anxiety, a lot of people, bright lights, and a lot of noise was too overwhelming and I was clammy, shakey, and my little quirk of rubbing my fingertips was happening. I went in line and talked to the cashier and that sent me over the edge and into an anxiety attack and I was shaking even more and my heart was beating very fast and strong and I had a big adrenaline surge and felt a strong desire to bolt out of the store.

It gets worse with stress, and stress causes most of mine, but sometimes I just have days where my anxiety is at it's worse levels.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've never had a panic attack, I just disconnect myself mentally if not physically from situations where I feel overly anxious.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I used to get panic attacks nearly every day when I was in my mid-late teens. The trick to beating them is to learn how to control them. Understand what they are, why they happen, that they can't hurt you. Make them your bitch. When they occur, just feel them out and don't, well, panic. That's how I got mine to stop. I basically began to view them as a foreign but harmless conscious entity that got off on antagonizing me. So instead of freaking out and letting them control me, I began to taunt them, even welcome them to take me for a ride; see where they could take me. They went away soon after I stopped fearing them.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts