Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this age where we have so much choice, we might think that it would be better for us. Surely more choice is better. But there are three reasons why I think more choice may not be better, practically at least. More choice leads to:

1. Indecisiveness: think of the donkey who has too many stacks of hay to decide from, eventually dying from starvation because it cannot choose.
  2. Poorer decisions: the many decisions will stress you into oversimplifying the problem into one feature. E.g. online dating - there are so many choices that your brain (they have done studies on this, I think on male brains) reduces the decision to physical attractiveness.
  3. Discontent: have I made the right decision? How can I be sure? Well the answer is you cannot. The more choice you have, the more unsure you are, and therefore the more unsatisfied you are after you make the decision.
Some things I think we can do:

• Think carefully about what you want before looking at the choices that are offered.
  • Write down the criteria and stick to them rigidly.
  • Realize there is no perfect choice.
  • Learn to accept a good decision, instead of a theoretically best one. (Even for life partners!)
Sometimes the optimum is good enough, especially when we have unlimited choice and limited time.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Making choices is easy. There is my choice, and then there are wrong choices. All I have to do is to figure out which is my choice. Once I know that, I can't make the wrong choice.

:crazy:

·
Registered
555 Posts
I agree. Making decisions is very difficult for me naturally. Even choosing between a red cup and green cup is difficult for me. I can see how people make split decisions based on aesthetic appeal. I do that all the time.

Anyway, I have an ESFJ mother, so most of my choices have been made up for me...my degree, the university I'm going to, the meals I eat, etc. And yes, I have moved out.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Not a problem. It just means I need to analyze more angles. I like that.

I'm in the process of trying to find my next PC case. I'm gathering information about possible candidates based on what I look for in a case and how much I'm willing to pay. There are some pretty sweet models, but it's not hard to eliminate one by one if one simply has more of the features that I want and need. If all else fails, at least I can tell what's more aesthetically appealing to me. And even if I end up having to choose aesthetics over a minor functional detail it will be because that minor functionality can be purchased separately. For instance a fan hub. Some PC cases come with a pre-installed fan hub which is useful to me and I'd like to have it. But I'm not about to pick an uglier case over it because it can be acquired separately and it's cheap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In this age where we have so much choice, we might think that it would be better for us. Surely more choice is better. But there are three reasons why I think more choice may not be better, practically at least. More choice leads to:

1. Indecisiveness: think of the donkey who has too many stacks of hay to decide from, eventually dying from starvation because it cannot choose.
  2. Poorer decisions: the many decisions will stress you into oversimplifying the problem into one feature. E.g. online dating - there are so many choices that your brain (they have done studies on this, I think on male brains) reduces the decision to physical attractiveness.
  3. Discontent: have I made the right decision? How can I be sure? Well the answer is you cannot. The more choice you have, the more unsure you are, and therefore the more unsatisfied you are after you make the decision.
Some things I think we can do:

• Think carefully about what you want before looking at the choices that are offered.
  • Write down the criteria and stick to them rigidly.
  • Realize there is no perfect choice.
    [*]Learn to accept a good decision, instead of a theoretically best one.
    (Even for life partners!)
Sometimes the optimum is good enough, especially when we have unlimited choice and limited time.

These are really good points. I have a huge problem with decision making. I also think in some way I think there is fear behind a lot of my indecision. Its like if I spend more time analyzing it trying to get to the best solution I dont have to face the reality of doing the work that comes with the decision.

·
Registered
682 Posts

For me it's not to beat up on the decision, even if things go sideways. It was the best I had at the time. Even if it's devastating consequences... people will tell you, "I told you so" and all sorts of crap. Sometimes they just want power/control, etc on this comment. Don't let them take it away from you.

I suffered from anxiety for awhile (still am, just less worse) and heavy punitive punishments... likely draconian.

Feel yourself and be yourself... no matter what happens. If you can feel good about yourself, even if its a little bit (hey, I had a hard history), then something is going right, IMHO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree... even ordering a pizza from a new place with 25+ different pizzas can be very difficult. Once I actually gave up :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts