Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this whole website. I stumbled across it while researching my personality type, which I was recently tested on by my psychologist, and was almost alarmed at the similarities. But my real question is:

Is it uncommon for an INTP to feel as if our Government is purposely leading us into something like a World War III, or that we are under continual surveillance?

I read that some INTPs feel as if authorities are trying to control them, but I was wondering if this is something out of the ordinary, or if this is just me overthinking our current situation with the NDAA and the whole "War on Terror?" Thanks.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this whole website. I stumbled across it while researching my personality type, which I was recently tested on by my psychologist, and was almost alarmed at the similarities. But my real question is:

Is it uncommon for an INTP to feel as if our Government is purposely leading us into something like a World War III, or that we are under continual surveillance?

I read that some INTPs feel as if authorities are trying to control them, but I was wondering if this is something out of the ordinary, or if this is just me overthinking our current situation with the NDAA and the whole "War on Terror?" Thanks.
If Castle has taught me anything, World War III can be triggered by

attempting to kill the daughter of the most wealthiest chinese politician who can buy out US's debt. By doing so, he will trace the assassin having originated from the US government, stop the buyout of US debt, and declare war on the US!

It's all crystal clear by just that one episode!

they have all the strings hanging in the room like how future Hiro Nakamura told past Hiro Nakamura the timeline can be mapped out!

What's on TV has got to have truth to it, right? ..... right?

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
With the "War on Terror," yeah, you had a right to be paranoid. Bush worded that phrase to build up support for Iraq, which was not involved with 9/11 in any way, shape, or form. (Otherwise, he wouldn't have named it after the "War on Drugs.") But in these parts, I'm more paranoid about those who are paranoid of the government. While they're haring off on some "9/11 was an inside job" ghost story, the government'll do something really nasty! The conspiracy theorists are part of the conspiracy!

·
Registered
108 Posts
The government doesn't "act" as one unit, such that it could have motives and goals - it is merely a collective term used to refer to the public sector of individual decision makers. Consequently, I think it is a misunderstanding to anthropomorphically label governments as anything other than an "emergent" order.

The way I see it, pervasive psychological fallacies (things like action bias, confirmation bias) ultimately add up in a way that political events (elections) are meaningless in respect to how they ought to be in an ideal state. Power gets arbitrarily centralized, and it begins a feedback loop where political constituencies are distanced from those who represent them, allowing those representatives to get away with more egregious legislative efforts, which in turn further centralizes power.

I know it is pessimistic, but I don't really bother arguing political theory anymore. There isn't much practical use in doing so beside honing apologetic skills - even if you do convince someone, it likely is because of your charisma or their ignorance. VERY few people vote on principle, and thus the whole system is destined to be abused.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the "War on Terror," yeah, you had a right to be paranoid. Bush worded that phrase to build up support for Iraq, which was not involved with 9/11 in any way, shape, or form. (Otherwise, he wouldn't have named it after the "War on Drugs.") But in these parts, I'm more paranoid about those who are paranoid of the government. While they're haring off on some "9/11 was an inside job" ghost story, the government'll do something really nasty! The conspiracy theorists are part of the conspiracy!
I wouldn't call myself a conspiracy theorist, but I find things like the MIAC Terrorist Report alarming. Government agencies warn us of domestic terrorists, then a bill is passed allowing the military to indefinitely detain any American citizen if they are deemed to be a terrorist, without due process. It seems almost like pre-Holocaust Germany or Soviet Russia to me. The Government telling us that they are only doing this to protect us.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I find things like the MIAC Terrorist Report alarming.
Haven't heard of it. I'm not tied into the 24/7 news networks, so... The first thing that comes up on google with MIAC is Minnesota Intercollegiate Atheletic Conference, which is I don't think is what you're talking about...

Government agencies warn us of domestic terrorists, then a bill is passed allowing the military to indefinitely detain any American citizen if they are deemed to be a terrorist, without due process. It seems almost like pre-Holocaust Germany or Soviet Russia to me. The Government telling us that they are only doing this to protect us.
The problem is that ordinary voters are scared out of their minds by terrorism, and the politicians are more than happy to pander to them. I think that indefinite detention for American citizens, or non-citizens for that matter, is wrong, and it makes us less safe in the long run. Terrorism should be treated as crime, not a war. It's not like there's some state we can negotiate the release of prisoners with. But stupidity can be scarier than evil, sometimes...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haven't heard of it. I'm not tied into the 24/7 news networks, so... The first thing that comes up on google with MIAC is Minnesota Intercollegiate Atheletic Conference, which is I don't think is what you're talking about...
Sorry, I don't remember exactly what MIAC stands for but it was a report issued to raise awareness of domestic terrorists and give examples of potential terrorists, including pro-life advocates, Constitutionalists, Libertarians, and it specifically singled out supporters of Ron Paul, Chuck Baldwin, and others. I would give you a link to it but I can't post links until I've had 15 posts -_-

Reactions: sly

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Sorry, I don't remember exactly what MIAC stands for but it was a report issued to raise awareness of domestic terrorists and give examples of potential terrorists, including pro-life advocates, Constitutionalists, Libertarians, and it specifically singled out supporters of Ron Paul, Chuck Baldwin, and others. I would give you a link to it but I can't post links until I've had 15 posts -_-
Well, to be fair, I do think some fringe members of those groups could be capable of terrorist acts. Oklahoma City comes to mind. But it just goes to show that intelligence is a matter of looking for needles in a haystack. It's all about finding that One Guy in the midst of an entire movement of slightly off, but still basically peaceful, people.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
When it comes to government, you can be either one of two things-- distrustful, or naïve.

There has not been a nation in all of history that has been free of vice, greed, corruption, self-interest, or conspiracy-- and to expect anything to the contrary is nothing short of foolishness. Let those in power do their job, but always assume that they will try to bilk you at their first opportunity. It is better to be cynical and proven wrong than to be naïve and taken by surprise.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts

We already are in the 3rd world war. That war on terror BS. And if its not the pieces on the global chess board are being arranged already.

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
When it comes to government, you can be either one of two things-- distrustful, or naïve.
And herein lies a false dichotomy, which is often the basis of conspiracy theorist baloney. You're either a foolish sheep falling for the government line (naive) or you're fighting for The Cause (distrustful).

Reactions: LadyO.W.BernieBro

·
Registered
3,620 Posts

There has not been a nation in all of history that has been free of vice, greed, corruption, self-interest, or conspiracy-- and to expect anything to the contrary is nothing short of foolishness. Let those in power do their job, but always assume that they will try to bilk you at their first opportunity. It is better to be cynical and proven wrong than to be naïve and taken by surprise.
Definitely need to keep an eye on the government, but too much distrust and cynicism leads to despair, and despair leads to apathy.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
And herein lies a false dichotomy, which is often the basis of conspiracy theorist baloney. You're either a foolish sheep falling for the government line (naive) or you're fighting for The Cause (distrustful).
I think more often it is: either you are a foolish sheep falling for the government line, or you are a foolish sheep falling for something else.

But I'm not talking about conspiracy theories... it's far more basic than that. It goes to the trust people place in those in power. You can be either inherently trusting and be duped, or you can be distrustful, i.e. not taking their words for gospel truth. For example, why is it that in every election, people let themselves be taken in by campaign promises and then they are shocked when the next election comes up and none of those promises have been fulfilled? There's the delusion that this time things will be different. This time they will do what they have promised! The truth is that, while people preach about the need for change, humans are creatures of habit and get very upset when things actually do change-- so the dichotomy that I suggest is not about something so banal as conspiracy theories... it's about understanding and accepting human nature. You can either be naïve and believe that someone will rise above their nature and do things differently, or you can be distrustful.

Definitely need to keep an eye on the government, but too much distrust and cynicism leads to despair, and despair leads to apathy.
Maybe for some, but personally I find cynicism to be very liberating. Rather than pining for a happy ending, I just make the most of what will really happen.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
people let themselves be taken in by campaign promises and then they are shocked when the next election comes up and none of those promises have been fulfilled?
The trick is to see campaign promises as just statements of intent. Getting that stuff done depends as much on the opposition on the official making the promises.

Maybe for some, but personally I find cynicism to be very liberating. Rather than pining for a happy ending, I just make the most of what will really happen.
Depends on what you mean by 'happy.' A bit better than it was before is a happy ending for me.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
The trick is to see campaign promises as just statements of intent. Getting that stuff done depends as much on the opposition on the official making the promises.
What is that the trick to, exactly?

I know what campaign promises are-- they're statements to get elected. Politicians use platforms they don't care about to get elected all the time-- be it the philanderer who uses the "family values" platform, the cocaine-user who supports the "war on drugs," or the "pro middle-class" champion who takes millions of dollars from Wall Street lobbyists-- they're all just empty promises made with the intent to appeal to the broadest constituency.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
What is that the trick to, exactly?

I know what campaign promises are-- they're statements to get elected. Politicians use platforms they don't care about to get elected all the time-- be it the philanderer who uses the "family values" platform, the cocaine-user who supports the "war on drugs," or the "pro middle-class" champion who takes millions of dollars from Wall Street lobbyists-- they're all just empty promises made with the intent to appeal to the broadest constituency.
So? What are going to do about it?

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
So? What are going to do about it?
Alcoholics Anonymous likes to use something called the Serenity Prayer at the close of their meetings, which goes like this:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

I'm not rich, powerful, influential, or particularly motivated to lead-- I can't change human nature, nor do I want to spend my whole life trying. All I can do is make a best effort attempt to live by my principles and try to make a positive impact in the lives of those I come in contact with. I'll leave the empty promises and herculean attempts at change to the naïve.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts

INTPs definately don't like to be controlled or inconvenienced by the government. In general though, I see the government as too incompetent for me to be paranoid of it. I'm more suspicious of the conspiracy theorists or the people who scream "STOP THE XYZ BILL" (on the grounds it will seriously curtail some freedom-- 9 times out of 10 they are crying wolf)

1 - 20 of 103 Posts