Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well let's get this started shall we? I am curious of everyone's thoughts on the paranormal, supernatural and/or death. If you talk about these topics with "normal" people they believe you are crazy and "ghosts" don't exist. These topics are probably the most interesting to me even though they scare me a little. Don't be afraid to share your stories or experiences. This is a judge free zone.

Death-When I was around 5 I was in a car accident and I think I died that day. Why? I seen myself from the sky. I saw myself sitting in my car seat (keep in mind I was in a car so somehow I would have had to seen through the car's roof to see myself clearly through the sky) I don't remember much however I do remember that quite vividly. I'm intrigued by death. Everyone fears it but is it really all that bad? I wonder what it's like actually. I wouldn't mind dying actually. No I'm not depressed or suicidal. Part of life is death so it's just another beginning to me.

Paranormal-Ghosts, Angels, Demons, mystical creatures,etc. I believe they all exist. I believe that I seen a ghost in high school. I was hearing what sounded like footsteps late at night. I convinced myself I was hearing things until (to my dismay) I seen a figure of a man in my doorway. Nobody was awake in the house. It was pitch dark too. Of course, like the coward I am lol, I turned the other way and acted like I didn't see anything. Soon afterwards I was unable to move as if I was being held down. I prayed then it went away. The next day I asked parents if they heard anything the previous night and they told me they heard someone walking around upstairs.

Another night I felt someone walking around my room. I believed it to be my older brother who was supposed to come in that morning (it was around 5:00AM or so) I felt the footsteps get closer to my bed and thought my brother was about to tell me to wake up. I felt something reach out and touch my back. Once again I felt like I couldn't move and my back was tingling (as if being touched from the inside, not touching my skin) I heard a door open and footsteps going towards my room. My father walked in my room and the sensation in my back stopped instantly and everything was normal again.

Now late at night (between 2:00AM and 5:00AM) the atmosphere in my room is different. It's something off about it. When I wake up in the middle of the night and try to go back to sleep I feel things I usually don't. I'm sure INFJ's can relate to "feeling" people. For those who do not understand what I am talking about imagine you are in a room with your best friend. If you close your eyes you can feel they are there with you. Same concept except I feel like someone's presence is there however when I look I see no one. Does this happen to anyone else? I'm sure it does.

One day I believe I encountered a troll or something. I was dozing off mid-day in my bed with my back against the wall. I had been fighting to stay awake for 10 minutes or so when I seen a small creature walk into my room then start running at me. Needless to say I immediately woke up and got out of my bed thinking "What the heck!?! O_O"

Also I frequently have Deja-Vu. I relive a moment that had happened before which usually happen in dreams. There are times when I know what a person is going to say before they say it lol Also I remember exactly how I felt during that particular moment in time. I used to fear my Deja-Vu because I had a feeling something bad was going to happen as if I knew of an event and each Deja-Vu brought me closer to it. Now they don't scare me as much.

If INFJs are sensitive to other people's emotions is it not possible that we are sensitive to emotions in general even if they aren't people. I notice between those times I said that their aren't a lot of "noise" (People, Lights, television, talking, etc.) so what are your thoughts on the paranormal and/or death? Do tell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm trying to phrase is this not to be rude... I'll put it this way.

You can believe anything if you want it to be real, but if you care about the objective truth. Do some research and look at the evidence, instead of believing it just because you believe in it.

I'm a big fan of Penn and Teller, Derren Brown, Dawkins and the like. Having listened to their point of view it's hard to believe in anything supernatural.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

You can believe anything if you want it to be real, but if you care about the objective truth. Do some research, instead of believing it just because you believe in it.
Oh you took your post away? I'm sorry I'm going to have to disagree with you anyway. It goes both ways. Science, although powerful at times, is not perfect. Scientist believe they have something perfectly explained then find a new variable and their whole world is turned upside down.

Consider the following: Not too long ago the giant squid was believed to be extinct until they caught footage of a live one. Also scientists believed it impossible to live without sunlight yet there is life deep underwater without sunlight at volcanic vents.
Now, I ask you, do you REALLY think that I am just "believing" something just to believe? Despite talk of the paranormal (Gods, spirits, demons,angels, etc.) being talked about from early civilizations?

I do not mean to be rude either btw I meant it when I said it's a no judge zone!=P

·
Banned
14,865 Posts

You can believe anything if you want it to be real, but if you care about the objective truth. Do some research and look at the evidence, instead of believing it just because you believe in it.

I'm a big fan of Penn and Teller, Derren Brown, Dawkins and the like. Having listened to their point of view it's hard to believe in anything supernatural.
Penn and Teller are entertainers, nothing more. And if you actually think they successfully debunk anything in their show 'bullshit' -- then you're going on less evidence than the people who believe in the paranormal. All they do in that show is find the most kooky crackpots and make fun of them.

Dawkins has lots of opinions and theories. No 'proof' for anything.

None of them have any 'proof' that nothing exists outside of what science has already explained, which is the real point at hand there. Are there things science hasn't yet discovered, or explained? The odds are in favor of, sure.

So, those who want to close their mind to it may, but it seems ignorant to me when they expect others to do so as well. I often find that people use science for the same reason they use religion: they lean on it like a supporting structure so they can think they know whats 'true' in the universe. But as I said, science has yet to explain everything, and it doesn't make sense to shut yourself off to possibilities beyond it.

Dawkins doesn't talk about the paranormal, and the terms 'paranormal' and 'supernatural' are not to be used interchangeably. There are entire theories on the paranormal that have no basis in religion. As far as paranormal phenomena, which are strange things that aren't yet explained, that have been observed -- there is no 'proof' that those things don't actually happen. An example is cryptozoology. Are there strange animals that haven't yet been discovered - well of course. Until they are, and as long as people are reporting these strange animals, then its technically paranormal.

Say that theres some strange atmospheric condition, or simply a mass of energy, that can manifest in a way that appears like a spooky semi-humanoid entity -- did dawkins 'prove' this is impossible.. Or, have we reached the limits of what science can possibly find.. there are no unknown unknowns in science, really? I guess dawkins was the last person we needed to go ahead and wrap that all up for us then.

You obviously don't understand the very basics of paranormal research (trying to understand anomalous unexplained events) -- and I wonder how much you even understand dawkins, when you seem to believe he has proof for nothing outside of explained science existing. He is only a person who has his own theories, and philosophies.

There is zero in science that proves that unknown unknowns do not exist.

Now, this isn't to say that it isn't something in the human psyche making people believe they are experiencing paranormal phenomena. There are -theories- that sleep paralysis is to blame for some of these "sightings" -- which also shows you that even some actual scientists take it seriously enough to at least look into.

A scientist doesn't read a dawkins book and decide that they understand everything in the universe, the reasonable ones keep an open mind and keep exploring new information.. and probably have their terms a little better defined than to use 'paranormal' and 'supernatural' interchangeably.

Understanding the basics of a topic would do you well before you come in and say that its all complete bunk.

Just because something isn't yet measurable by the scientific tools that currently exist, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The scientific tools that we have, were created from the knowledge that we already gained only through the senses. Basically we are measuring more of the same, rather than measuring something new. How would we know what tools to develop, to measure the paranormal?

That said, yes, I believe in the the paranormal. To me, it encompasses many things that science has yet to physically measure. The people who snub their noses at this would have been the same ones to think early scientists were nutters also. I guess its more satisfying for most people to join in the crowd and get a sense of satisfaction through bleating in unison about how irrational it all is – anything unknown. It takes more effort to actually think of possibilities, but that also threatens the safe world-view of the masses. Many brilliant scientists were ruled as crackpots at first, only to be vindicated later.

It's ridiculous to think that science has met a dead-end. And yes, most of it just measures more of the same, but take into consideration quantum physics for example. Try explaining the basic principles of that to people from the past who have a closed mind on these matters, and they would say its completely laughable. But its not. This mindset only seeks to stifle actual new discoveries, and it keeps science as a stagnant pool in which we measure in loops, nothing new, only the same.

In seriously researching the paranormal, there are patterns and trends - undeniable similarities in accounts of experiences to be found all over the world, in completely dissimilar cultures, through out time, and even before much intercontinental communication was taking place. All coincidence? One theory is that it can all be explained away with psychology - universal archetypes in the human mind, and parasomnia disorders playing on manifestations of our base fears. These are hardly just strange isolated incidents, such as a schizophrenic's fantasy, when there are so many similarities. Science has at least put enough stock into it, to search for an explanation in the human mind. But, what if its not just, for example, a psychological manifestation caused by a half-sleeping/half-waking state?

It's not like paranormal researchers just consider any random fantasy or hallucination as possible evidence of something real. Of course I wouldn't expect many people to realize this, as they don't know anything about paranormal research to begin with. It's also hard to get started in it, because cutting through the fluffy-bunny bullshit is a bitch.

I am more a possibility person, than a belief person when it comes to these things. Sometimes those possibilities just pan out, and work. One of my favorite authors, Robert Anton Wilson, once said that the word 'is' should be replaced by 'seems to be' - because in light of new information, things change. In an evolving universe, who stands still moves backwards.

If I denied every new idea, and only stuck to the information that has already been "proven" then I would get very bored, and feel very stifled.. and be very inaccurate if I denied new information.

Other people aren't like this, and I can accept that. I think that it takes all kinds. The die-hard skeptics can often even lead the original thinkers into the right direction, by bringing forth information that challenges the creative person. What I will not accept is when they desire to put out the flame of the creative thinkers.

What do they gain from it really, other than a pat on the back from others who are afraid of having their neat world view threatened by potentials.

I don't necessarily believe, or disbelieve when someone tells me that a place is haunted. I know that people are often mistaken in assuming places are haunted. Its usually pretty easy to debunk. There are also places with strange happenings that people do not pick up on. Every place I go, I try to keep myself in a relaxed state, and in this state I am open to noticing disturbances in the energy waves around me, anyway. When the average person hears that something creepy is going on will, it can certainly heighten their senses to it and put them on edge. I see this happen in those ridiculous shows like 'Scariest Places on Earth' where they jump five feet in the air upon hearing a stick break, because they are put in a creepy old building and told that everyone sees terrifying ghosts there. Many people don't believe there are ghosts, but they can't know for sure. The possibility is enough to frighten them when they are put in a dark and unfamiliar room, where the imagination can really run wild. Those shows do nothing to support evidence that ghosts exist, but rather to demonstrate how you can scare the beegeesus out of some unwitting participant in what is most certainly just a psychological experiment in fear, to then exploit for entertainment.

To pick up on any valid external disturbance in the energy around you, you have to know your own mind, be in control of it, and not fear the possibility of something paranormal - while still being sensitive to the energy waves that are present. Then, even if you do pick up on something abnormal, there is typically no way to know for certain what it was - just that it was felt. Some people claim to have a more intimate knowledge of these presences, and that is possible, but rare. Its also something known at this point, only through a human sense that isn't yet officially acknowledged. All of these things make it very difficult to study, when our science is studied through only scientific tools created from the knowledge yielded by our acknowledged senses. There is a sort of cycle here, that ignores the discovery of anything outside of the known, as we measure in loops - rather than focusing on breaking free from them.

This makes it easy for people to write off -all- paranormal happenings as being phenomenon generated only -from- the human psyche, because it is all we have to know it by, so far. Just as in ancient times, all we had to know the cosmos, were our eyes.. and today we have the intimate knowledge that the Hubble telescope has given us.

With the paranormal, its a bit more tricky. Imagine a population who is mostly blind, trying to see, to build a powerful enough telescope to view something many light-years away.

I have seen a metric fuckton of debunking. And what all of that debunking means, is that in those specific instances where a place was alleged to be haunted, there was a more down to earth explanation.. -that time-.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
None of them have any "proof" that nothing exists outside of what science has already explained, which is the real point at hand there. Are there things science hasn't yet discovered, or explained? The odds are in favor of, sure.
i SO agree.

why would medical/clinical research, or any other type of research and development field exist if science already knew all there was to know, and had all the answers?

and how can any phenomena be quantified, observed, tested, and verified via the scientific method, especially if it occurs infrequently and unpredictably (as these events do)? to discount its existence because it is as yet unverified is nothing more than an argument from silence.

does truth exist? does eternity exist? does chance or randomness exist? are time and space merely constructs or actual physical realities? not everything that exists or occurs can be subjected to...or proven by...the scientific method. what is not scientifically verifiable is not necessarily false or nonexistent.

there are realities that are invisible, such that they cannot be observed...that are metaphysical, such that their effects are present but their essence cannot be grasped with the human hands or viewed by the human eyes...that are so infinite that experiments cannot be conducted on them.

entities have often been determined to exist by extrapolation from phenomena for which people assumed there must be a cause or explanation...look through the history of scientific discovery for many such examples. the initial explanations of the scientists were sometimes wrong, and were later corrected as scientists learned more. there are forces acting in/on our universe today which science has not yet explained...does this mean they don't exist? no. there are also forces that science has explained...does this mean they are right? no.

also, there is knowledge that exists outside of science, that is not derived from conscious logic or math. our subconscious mind is often aware of that which we have not consciously rationalized or figured out...Einstein had it right: "When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come close to the conclusion that the gift of imagination has meant more to me than any talent for absorbing absolute knowledge. All great achievements of science must start from intuitive knowledge. I believe in intuition and inspiration.... At times I feel certain I am right while not knowing the reason." if Einstein's theories found their genesis in his subconscious mind, why do we discount that which people "know" but science cannot yet fully explain?

i am not downplaying the importance of the scientific method, of research or development...simply stating that "nonscientific" sources of knowledge can sometimes be trusted, and that some realities exist which cannot be subjected to the scientific method.

could the subconscious mind be aware of metaphysical realities which our conscious mind may not be able to explain logically? personally i am sure there is a metaphysical, spiritual world out there, whether we can rationally explain it or not.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Penn and Teller are entertainers, nothing more. And if you actually think they successfully debunk anything in their show 'bullshit'...

of words

I have seen a metric fuckton of debunking. And what all of that debunking means, is that in those specific instances where a place was alleged to be haunted, there was a more down to earth explanation.. -that time-.
And you are, rightfully, an INTP. Not that I disagree with anything you said—these are all valid points—just... volume-wise... the last sentence alone would have sufficed...

(Just sayin', woman. No kitty-sizing intended.)

It goes both ways. Science, although powerful at times, is not perfect. Scientist believe they have something perfectly explained then find a new variable and their whole world is turned upside down.
As for you, good sir, if you think that science claims to hold the absolute objective truth, you are mistaken. Science never claims such things; rather, it is only a tool to bring explanations closer to objectivity rather than a collection of "truths". (Truth is for this universe to keep, humans to get a glimpse of.)

For anything to be "absolutely true" in science, you'd have to conduct a reproducible experiment infinite times covering all cases and factors, all yielding the same exact results that support your explanation. Thus, naturally, any close-minded scientist who claims to have the "absolute truth" is no different from close-minded religious fanatics/cult leaders with their absolute doctrines. (Humorously, those who loudly claim things in the name of science are not really scientists, but rather, science enthusiasts. The "real" scientists—those who do the actual research/experiments and write books/papers—are much more cautious in claiming things: "evidence first, claiming later.")

Likewise, good scientists will follow the convention of the mainstream science, yet at the same time, will never completely close the cases, and keep an eye out for new models and explanations that will better fit reality. They'll be very careful to use a word like "impossible" (for those who realize the gravity of that word), and their focus is to discuss, share perspectives, design experiments that will further validate their explanations; not to abruptly label things as "truths." (And no; the world is not "turned upside down" when new factors arise; scientists delight in new understandings and will gladly incorporate these new factors and improve upon the existing models.)

So what are your thoughts on the paranormal and/or death? Do tell.
I've had a plenty of déjà vu moments throughout my life. Some are minor but in some other cases—I could swear to God—I actually "felt the situation" and could have predicted every single word and action people are going to say and perform. I have had some intensely hair-rising moments during some of my night walks near a dark park forest. I've had about 5~8 sleep paralysis experiences, one of which I vividly heard a high pitch laughter right next to my ears.

Now, many of those "weird" experiences could have been aided by some supernatural forces, some of which I'd really like to believe to be the case. Certainly, paranormal is one among the possible explanations; however, just because I like it to be or that it is possible, doesn't necessarily make my beliefs in tune with the reality of things: one should always choose to the most probable set of explanations (which also happens to be based on science because it tells how things work).

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Well let's get this started shall we? I am curious of everyone's thoughts on the paranormal, supernatural and/or death. If you talk about these topics with "normal" people they believe you are crazy and "ghosts" don't exist. These topics are probably the most interesting to me even though they scare me a little. Don't be afraid to share your stories or experiences. This is a judge free zone.
@Robert2928

Interesting subject. First of all I'm going to somewhat disagree with the words i've put in bold. In my experience the majority of people (and by that I mean >50%, though not necessarily a lot more than 50%) are fine talking about this kind of thing, don't think you're crazy and usually have an experience or two of their own to share.

Death-When I was around 5 I was in a car accident and I think I died that day. Why? I seen myself from the sky. I saw myself sitting in my car seat (keep in mind I was in a car so somehow I would have had to seen through the car's roof to see myself clearly through the sky) I don't remember much however I do remember that quite vividly.
This sounds like an Out-of-body experience (OOBE). Which isn't to explain it away, or even to explain it at all - just to give it a label and acknowledge that many other people have also had this kind of experience. Have you read up on OOBEs?

@Promethea - couple of comments on what you said...

Dawkins has lots of opinions and theories. No 'proof' for anything.
You're right, and this is to be expected - Dawkins is a scientist and science doesn't work with "proofs". The concept of a proof is valid within mathematics but, so far as I'm aware, nowhere else.

I am more a possibility person, than a belief person when it comes to these things. Sometimes those possibilities just pan out, and work. One of my favorite authors, Robert Anton Wilson, once said that the word 'is' should be replaced by 'seems to be' - because in light of new information, things change.
This seems very sound to me. It's like the difference between a theory and a proof. Science works with theories and always acknowledges "this theory is the best we have at present, but in the fulness of time it may be replaced by something better".

the paranormal and science

When I was a child/teenager I read several books about unexplained mysteries etc. It's noteworthy that several of the examples in that sort of book have now been explained. Eg "fire walking", "spontaneous human combustion", "the Bermuda triangle", objects such as fish or stones "raining" from the skies. I can give more details on these examples if need be.

The point is that in the fulness of time science/reason often does make inroads into what was previously seen as paranormal and beyond science.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Zech

Your name reminds me of Zechs from Gundam Wing btw

Age may be a factor. I'm 21 so when I talk about this to people they usually attempt to discredit my story (as we seen earlier on this thread lol) or think I'm joking. A girl in my applied psychology class said nobody would believe her either. I've had a few people actually share their stories. What also may be a factor is the age of the internet where there are SO many elaborate hoaxes that people are closed minded towards the subject of the paranormal. Just my opinion on our different treatments of the subject

I am familiar with the term but I have not researched it...yet. True there is no guarantee that I was physically "dead" but it's still possible I was right? I will research more after this reply. I am confident in what I seen that day though. Why make it up ya know? You know I don't have any "proof" about the next statements (who does? lol) however...what if some of the people in comas are people who had an out of body experiences but never returned?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hmm, when I was little, there was a "ghost cat" that would leap down from the wicker shelf in my room and dart out the door. It did this several times a day, but I don't think it was always at the same time. I'm not sure what it was, that's just what I saw. My brother and I had a lot of strange things happen in that house. I once heard someone, who was not my father or anyone else, call my mother's name...from right over my bed. My brother had his touch lamps turn on, he told me he unplugged them and they still turned on (I don't really think he unplugged them. He probably whacked them in his sleep).

Both of my experiences could have easily been seizures when I was young. I know I used to experience what's called "Alice in Wonderland Syndrome" when I would get up in the middle of the night to go pee. All I had to do was walk four feet across the hall to the bathroom, but as soon as I crossed the threshold of my room and entered the hall, that four feet suddenly became 4 miles. It was impossibly long and this horrible sensation would enter my head. Kind of like when you are put under with laughing gas. So, I think my body was slightly messed up when I was small. I did almost die from a bought of meningitis when I was 4... That fever messed up a lot of things, and I wouldn't be surprised if it did something to my brain.

Anyway, I have a lot of pet thoughts about ghosts and things. I think that sometimes the barrier between one universe and another become abnormally thin in places. To the point where maybe it's like a semipermeable membrane and the "ghost" activity is nothing more than a bizarre crossover events. Of course I have no proof, and no way or desire to prove such a thing. It's just a thought pending further evidence.

·
Registered
663 Posts
“It will remain remarkable, in what ever way our future concepts may develop, that the very study of the external world led to the scientific conclusion that the content of the consciousness is the ultimate universal reality.” -- Eugene P. Wigner

I have experience so many unusual things since I was a little kid. I say unusual because for me the term paranormal is an oxymoron. What people call paranormal are things that they don't understand but that are also part of nature. Those unusual experiences have impulse me to find a logical explananation to these events that everyone( at some point) experience in their lives. Before sharing one of my experiences, feel like sharing a buddhist short story that explain the attitudes of people regarding the paranormal and all the unusual experiences that fall under its spectrum:

There was once a turtle who lived in a lake with a group of fish. One day the turtle went for a walk on dry land. He was away from the lake for a few weeks. When he returned he met some of the fish. The fish asked him, "Mister turtle, hello! How are you? We have not seen you for a few weeks. Where have you been? The turtle said, "I was up on the land, I have been spending some time on dry land." The fish were a little puzzled and they said, "Up on dry land? What are you talking about? What is this dry land? Is it wet?" The turtle said "No, it is not," "Is it cool and refreshing?" "No it is not", "Does it have waves and ripples?" "No, it does not have waves and ripples." "Can you swim in it?" "No you can't" So the fish said, "it is not wet, it is not cool there are no waves, you cant swim in it. So this dry land of yours must be completely non-existent, just an imaginary thing, nothing real at all." The turtle said that "Well may be so" and he left the fish and went for another walk on dry land.

The same thing happens with these experiences. The people that haven't experience it, think that they don't exist. Once you experience them, you start to wonder and a whole new side to reality is open to you. People see things as they are. Decided to share this because I like to expand other people awareness and make them wonder what else is out there:

When I was 17 years old...around the year 2004. On one hot summer night...I decided to go to bed early because there was a blackout in my whole neighborhood..so everything was in darkness..very quiet. Most of the time I sleep with my door and windows close...so nothing can enter without making some noise...that includes animal, insects or people.

Don't know for how many hours I was asleep...but suddenly I began to feel this light in my face...I immediately opened my eyes and saw that the source origin of this light, hidding itself behind a couple of shoe boxes that where in my room at the time. I was curious about who may be my nocturnal visitor..so I decided to sleep looking upwards with my eyes slightly close..so if it comes back...I will catch a good glance of it . A few minutes passed when I feel the light again..I open my eyes and could not believe what I was seeing. A couple of inches of my face was a being made of pure light that was spherical in form...with the size similar to a football soccer ball..this being was staring at me. No it doesn't had any physical features..but some part of me intuitively knew that it was looking at me..it was surprise..because it doesn't expected me to have the capacity to be able to see it. This being of light was kind of shy..lol..when it notices that I was looking at it...it floated slowly and hide behind the shoe boxes again.

At this point most people will:
a)-Scream and run like there is no tomorrow.
b)-Respond violentely.
But I am not like most people..because since little I have had strange experiences like this one. When the being was looking at me..I was not afraid..it irradiated a peaceful and gently aura. So what I did was say good night to the being and went back to sleep. It was more afraid of me than I of it.

To this day I wonder who was this being of light and more importantly why was it watching me. I had another experience with a similar light spherical being but it was made of purple light and the type of light looked more dense...like some kind of mist. This time the scenario was in college, while I was walking between classrooms. The time was around 2-3pm. I saw this light being floating in the cups of some trees in one of the green areas. I blinked a few times, thinking that maybe I was seeing some kind of ilussion..but the vision remained. The being floated for a few more seconds..then dissappear. To this day I have pondered about what I saw in those two occassion but I don't even have found someone that have experience the same thing.

I have seen a few more interesting things..maybe will share them in the future here. Having these kind of experiences sometimes can isolate you, because you will find few people that can relate to what you have experience. At best they would not think that you are not crazy XD.

Reactions: ManWithoutHats

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Both of my experiences could have easily been seizures when I was young. I know I used to experience what's called "Alice in Wonderland Syndrome" when I would get up in the middle of the night to go pee. All I had to do was walk four feet across the hall to the bathroom, but as soon as I crossed the threshold of my room and entered the hall, that four feet suddenly became 4 miles. It was impossibly long and this horrible sensation would enter my head.
I used to experience something similar which my father told me was called Lilliput vision but I think now the recognised name is micropsia (and is related to Alice in Wonderland syndrome). Anyway, when I experienced this I could be looking at someone maybe 10 feet away from me across the room and it would seem like they were miles away! Once I was playing a board game (Monopoly maybe) and looking down at the board and the pieces on it was like when you're in a plane and looking down at the fields below. I always enjoyed these experiences - i was never scared or worried by them. In fact I rather regret that it's many years since I last experienced this.

This isn't paranormal - is reasonably well understood Micropsia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
52 Posts
I caught my first EVP yesturday at home alone in broad daylight. :3

·
Banned
1,297 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Congratulations!!

But what is EVP? :confused:
=D
EVP stands for electronic voice phenomenon. It's when you capture a disembodied voice that is unexplained when recording it with a recorder or w/e. You didn't hear it before, only when you play it back you will hear it.

For me I recorded it with a camera. It was unintentional...out of the blue kindda thing. I was not meaning to record one..but somehow I did.

And it repeated after me. It felt great^^

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
One day I believe I encountered a troll or something. I was dozing off mid-day in my bed with my back against the wall. I had been fighting to stay awake for 10 minutes or so when I seen a small creature walk into my room then start running at me. Needless to say I immediately woke up and got out of my bed thinking "What the heck!?! O_O"
paranormal activity is just our minds trolling us. I want to see trolls though. That would be cool.

But when you experience some of these things while you're half asleep it's not that big of a deal. I woke up this morning thinking I was answering my phone talking to my friend. My right hand was against my ear holding nothing and I stopped talking as soon as I realized I wasn't actually on the phone. The only explanation I can think of is that a ghost took the phone away from my hand and ended the call.

2,781 Posts
I'm not the only one that's had some experiences. Don't be shy guys!<=]
I have had some experiences. We had a paranormal investigation done on a house we lived in four years ago. The investigators concluded that we had multiple hauntings and they were able to get some evps there. We moved out of that house not long after that. I don't usually discuss this with anyone. Most people just won't believe it unless they have experienced it. We still experience the paranormal, so moving didn't help.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
I have had some experiences. We had a paranormal investigation done on a house we lived in four years ago. The investigators concluded that we had multiple hauntings and they were able to get some evps there. We moved out of that house not long after that. I don't usually discuss this with anyone. Most people just won't believe it unless they have experienced it. We still experience the paranormal, so moving didn't help.
@snowangel "We" - How many of you are there? And what's the inter-personal stuff like? ie do you get along? any conflicts between people?

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
This was my favorite show growing up, and it still is. It's right up this thread's alley:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Soon afterwards I was unable to move as if I was being held down. I prayed then it went away. The next day I asked parents if they heard anything the previous night and they told me they heard someone walking around upstairs.

Another night I felt someone walking around my room. I believed it to be my older brother who was supposed to come in that morning (it was around 5:00AM or so) I felt the footsteps get closer to my bed and thought my brother was about to tell me to wake up. I felt something reach out and touch my back. Once again I felt like I couldn't move and my back was tingling (as if being touched from the inside, not touching my skin) I heard a door open and footsteps going towards my room. My father walked in my room and the sensation in my back stopped instantly and everything was normal again.

Now late at night (between 2:00AM and 5:00AM) the atmosphere in my room is different. It's something off about it. When I wake up in the middle of the night and try to go back to sleep I feel things I usually don't. I'm sure INFJ's can relate to "feeling" people. For those who do not understand what I am talking about imagine you are in a room with your best friend. If you close your eyes you can feel they are there with you. Same concept except I feel like someone's presence is there however when I look I see no one. Does this happen to anyone else? I'm sure it does.

I've had similar experiences, but I have sleep paralysis occasionally which essentially explains my experience. One time I fell asleep in a chair on my porch. I woke up and tried to get up but I was stuck. I tried really hard and somehow made it up and to my door as though I was floating but being restrained at the same time. When I finally reached my door and tried to open it, I realized I was still sitting in the chair! So I forced myself up again and back to the door, this time I was trying to scream but no sound came out of my mouth. Again I reached the door only to realize I was still sitting down in the damn chair! I tried again but didn't make it to the door, then as I was trying to get up again, I suddenly snapped out of it. I was just sitting in my chair, feeling drowsy. I got up with ease and walked inside (though I still felt weird for a while, I just assumed it was a dream).

Another time I took a nap on my couch. I woke up completely frozen and unable to move. I heard someone running down my staircase but they just kept running without reaching the bottom for awhile, they were yelling too but I couldn't understand them. Finally my brother came down the stairs and opened the front door to let his girlfriend in (who had apparently been waiting outside?). They both walked in and sat in the two other chairs in the room. I was really frustrated and anxious because I thought they would be worried because I was just laying their staring at the ceiling, but then I finally was able to get up. I was home alone.

Another time I woke up with a strong sense of a 'presence' and couldn't move, and I was afraid to open my eyes. I felt it concentrating on me like a weight. I finally opened my eyes and saw a large ambiguous dark shape sitting over me, but for some reason this was relieving rather than terrifying, and I went back to sleep. By that time I knew what sleep paralysis was and knew that was all it was in the morning

I think those are the only times I've ever woken into it, but sometimes when I'm falling asleep I get it too, but it's usually rather different. I just feel tingly and strange with an increasing weight on my body and then I feel like I'm sinking into my bed, then falling and the next thing I know, I'm in dream land. A couple times I've actually transitioned directly from being awake, into this, into a dream with no lapse in consciousness.

I also have deja vu occasionally, but not very often. That mostly explains my experience with the paranormal though. I don't mean to say that what you describe isn't something else or is only a sleep phenomenon, but for me that about explains it. Now what/why are dreams? That I'm a little less sure of.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts