Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parental skills...... the essential source in personality formation.

Agree or disagree? How do you see personality formation?
Which of these do you think is most responsible for the formation of your personality?

A) Your parents Parental skills.
B) Genetic make up.
C) One's immediate environment.

If you see other factors which have contributed, please state.

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
I agree with bethdeth - I would think that genetic make-up is the most important factor in one's personality, although the effects of the parental skills and immediate environment may be more easy to see and even seem stronger than the genetic factor. I don't think such things, however, shape the personality to a greater extent than to what genes do.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
For me I believe it is genetic makeup. Although both my parents are INs, so that may also reflect in their parenting skills.

Reactions: Grey

·
Registered
291 Posts
The USAF NCO leadership guides cover a lot of material. One of my favorites was the section on understanding different perspectives. In it, they started out simple. They explained what forms a person, their ideas, their ideals, and their personality in three words: environment, heredity, experiences. I've found these three words to be very true, and very similar to the original proposal in this thread.

I like to pretend that I don't believe that heredity influences anything, so that I can hold people to equal standards. I'm not a double-standard kind of person.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am reticent. so are my grand and great grand parents( on my mother's side) my mother was reticent. I'm lead to think its genetic too. But, interestingly though my mother is now an extroverted individual, though she claims that she prefers her former reticence. Now how would you explain this??? Experiences?

Now may i ask , what causes personality change?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I actually just overlooked something. In my immediate and extended family, spanning a good 60 people, there are about four Sensor-dominant types. That actually seems like a fair correlation, and I'm surprised that I only just noticed it.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
"Genes are the gun, the environment is the trigger".

I have seen many psychological perspectives cite this in regards to psychological phenomena. I believe this is the case for personality as well.

Amongst the masses, I continue to experience people separating 'nature' and 'nurture' (as in, nature vs nurture). I think the general consensus today, is that it is a nature and nurture debate, with the differing attitudes concerned with percentages as to which is 'more significant'. Which means the Op is asking a good question!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what about ones thoughts, the way they think of dealing with problems that surrounds them at an early age?
Don't you think problem solving skills at an early age contribute to personality formation?

·
Registered
652 Posts
i guess this comes under environment, but looking at my own very different four children and after reading some answers about this in another forum, i think position in family eg oldest, or only child has a large impact on personality development on top of genetic factors

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i guess this comes under environment, but looking at my own very different four children and after reading some answers about this in another forum, i think position in family eg oldest, or only child has a large impact on personality development on top of genetic factors
Many people don't know that this is a fact.I read about this in psychology. Good observation!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts