Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe there aren't any other parents hanging around here but maybe you have extroverted siblings...?

I have an ENTP, I'm pretty sure. She makes me want to STRANGLE her, but of course that is illegal. I need some advice because I really don't want her to hate me when she's an adult, and I don't want her to need therapy for my lack of parenting skills...but at the same time I have to survive, too. :(

This kid is super extroverted and yet she has almost zero awareness of her surroundings most of the time. She also can't seem to take "nonverbal cues" from people around her in social settings. She'll eat your dessert while she's reciting to you every single line of a movie she just watched.

she's in 2nd grade and she's not retarded and/or autistic. I know in the 2nd grade I could restrain myself much better, but it's like there's no filter on her mouth and she'll PURPOSELY say shit just to see if she can make people feel uncomfortable! What 2nd grader likes to get attention by embarrassing adults?

So what should I do...or what should I NOT do? Honestly I avoid taking her out in public with other adults so I don't have to constantly feel embarrassed...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they feel they didn't get enough attention as children. At least that's what I'm afraid of.

But from my viewpoint, I just don't know how to survive a super extroverted kid like this. I want to run and hide.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Well, if she can recite lines from a movie, get her interested in acting. She'll get the attention she needs by being on stage. As an ENTP she'll probably have a natural ability for improv as well.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I'm assuming Tequila is off the table as a solution?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
no darling. The tequila is for me, so I can survive this parenting thing. :confused:
Well, in that case I can see not wasting it on the kids.

I'll have to agree with rousse then. Find some kind of extra curricular activity to burn off some of their energy.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Yes, the extracurricular stuff sounds like a good idea.

Your daughter reminds me of a kid at my work. He'll say anything to get a rise out of you. My best weapon is ignoring him. He'll be fishing for attention, and I won't acknowledge or respond to anything. It drives him crazy, hehe.

I don't know...there's a couple things you could try to get some quiet time, but it all depends on the kid. I mean, you could say at this time, say for example dinner time, we're going to be quiet. Before that, you can talk as much as you like, but when we sit down to eat, it's time to be quiet. See how your kid handles that.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I used to have a bulldog like this.

I got him a treadmill and just let him work off all the energy.

Reactions: madhatter

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is what I love about you guys. All suggestions, not too much effort.

I posted this in the ENTP forum and they think she's got autism or ADHD.

Obviously I need to be better about my communicating. But I know she doesn't have a disorder, and I'm almost 100% sure that she's a little ENTP. call it my INTUITION! lol

I guess you gotta have a kid to understand...I know her really well but I can't communicate the difficulties I have without making her sound like a nutcase. (or me, perhaps) :laughing:

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Oh, no, I understand. I don't have any kids myself, but four years at daycare gives me some insight into the mind of a child, and into the mind of a flustered parent!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Sounds like she likes attention, which she gets when making others uncomfortable. Ignore the bad, praise the good. No point in doing the bad if you're not getting anything from it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and people on here saying that a kid doesn't have a "type" yet -- I know that's not true. I didn't know what MBTI or ISTP was when I was a kid, but my behavior and thought patterns were all there when i was little. I just matured into it... but every kid's personality is evident almost from the start. Some behavior is inherent in ALL children, but the personality is there...

and there is a big huge difference between an extroverted kid and an introverted one. Any parent can tell you that!

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I guess you gotta have a kid to understand...I know her really well but I can't communicate the difficulties I have without making her sound like a nutcase. (or me, perhaps)
She's not a nutcase, she's an individual. :)

and people on here saying that a kid doesn't have a "type" yet -- I know that's not true. I didn't know what MBTI or ISTP was when I was a kid, but my behavior and thought patterns were all there when i was little. I just matured into it... but every kid's personality is evident almost from the start. Some behavior is inherent in ALL children, but the personality is there...
Yes it is, but the question is, can you be sure of their exact type when they're still young. Or can you expect their personality to shift as they get older.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
How much is personality type genetic? At all or is it completely random? (I have two introverted SJ parents) I want an ISTP kid. It seems like it would be easier than....some others...:dry:

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts

and there is a big huge difference between an extroverted kid and an introverted one. Any parent can tell you that!
I agree. They might not have their "cognitive functions" developed, but each kid has a distinct personality.

My two introverted parents were lucky, and had all introverts. Extraverts overwhelm me.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
How much is personality type genetic? At all or is it completely random? (I have two introverted SJ parents) I want an ISTP kid. It seems like it would be easier than....some others...:dry:
An ISTP can be really easy...until they dig in their heels. Then, they are the most unmanageable child. Speaking from experience of being an ISTP kid, of course!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts