Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed as I've gotten older names have gotten more... interesting- has anyone else noticed? Some I've heard:
Willow
La-a
Apple
Alethia
plus all the celeb. baby names :happy:

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I don't really like most "unique" names. It feels almost like trying too hard to distinguish your kids (and for some, yourself by association) from the others. Which isn't a bad thing, too much, but... some of them aren't even good. Like Apple. A friend wants to call his first girl Aurora. Definitely not on my list of good names :tongue:

Me, I like names in the "common enough to be spelled correctly, but not to be the 8th kid in the class to have the same one" catagory. I grew up being the third or fourth kid in my class with my name... Ugh. Traditional names like Mary or John I would avoid, too. Maybe... Hm... I like Rowan for a boy, at least. Girl names are harder to pick.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I think recycling classic names is a good way to be a little unique without being obnoxious, Wilhelm (wilm) for a boy, Alice, maybe Julia for a girl, names like that. Stuff like Apple is just, I don't even know how to describe it. I'm sure you all have heard about that couple that named their kids Aryan Nation and Adolf Hitler? wtf? Of those, I could maybe see you using Adolf, assuming you had a strong German heritage, but I mean c'mon people....

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Yeah, I'm not a fan of ultra-weird names. I agree with Thrifty that a nice way to be unique is to whip out a name that was popular in the past. I personally love the name Alice. But on the other end of the spectrum, I also don't understand it when people name their kids things like Jessica, Brittany, etc-- why would you want your child to have the same name as millions upon millions of other little girls? (Not to offend anyone here who's named like that).

My parents named me and my 2 sisters all semi-common names, but with altered spellings, and it irks me.

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
I agree with the altered spellings thing - I have friends with strange spellings of common names, and they're always saying that they wished their parents had gone with normal spellings.

I like biblical names for guys, personally. Not because they're from the bible, but because there's something more... solid about them, I guess. Joshua, Jesse, Noah, etc. For girls, almost any name is cute. \o/ Although less common names are always my favorites.

I would totes name a kid Keyes if it was even slightly more common, though. I love that name.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love the name Alice too, only I know three Alices... all my age. And Aryan and Adolf I feel sorry for the kids they would have such problems in school. The traditional names is a good idea except some are kind of- odd I know a few people who were like named after their grandparents who hated their names. Oh and I know three Noah's too.:tongue:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I love all the off the wall names. Sometimes a kid loves their name and sometimes they do not, even when they have a normal name. Why not go with something interesting.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I like the name Apple, I never understood all the hate. I also love Penn Jillette's daughter's name, Moxie.

Sure, not every odd name is good, but neither are all traditional names. I like a little creativity in naming kids.

Then again, I'm sure Marijuana Pepsi will be changing her name as soon as she can.

I have a fairly common name with an unusual spelling. I'm cool with it. What I think is cheesy is my parents spelled it the way they did so it would be only one letter different than my older sister.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I want to give my kids an unusual name, if I have them. You can pick the prettiest one you want and not just be constrained by cultural convention.

But something that "sounds" like it could be a real name, if you take my meaning. Nothing impossible to pronounce...nothing they would be made fun of for.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm all for unusual names or picking pretty words and making them names or even making up names (my names Indigo and I don't mind it) And one of my favorite names for a girl I'm pretty sure I made up when I was younger (Cirilai) but I just noticed a growing trend. But naming your child Lemonjello or Female just doesn't seem nice whether you say them LEM-on-GEL-o and FEE-mal-E either :happy: and I don't mind Apple I just couldn't think of what I was going to originally put...:happy:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
If I ever have kids I plan on giving them unusual first names and "normal"last middle names that they can go by later on if they prefer. That being said, I definitely prefer unusual names, nothing with a bad connotation, and something easy or fairly easy to spell and pronounce but still something that you don't hear very often (if at all)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Instead of naming their kids weird stuff like apple, I think they should just use that as their pet name for their kid, then name them something that won't get them beat up.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Can't believe I forgot this one!

I once worked at a kids' camp where a girl was named "Storm". I thought "oh, how unique and unsual", but I didn't think the parents were nuts or anything.

Until I realized her brother was named "Xavier"...
I don't think Xavier is that weird. I know a couple people named Xavier. One is old, the other is a baby.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I wouldn't really call naming kids after X-Men characters unique lol. It's too copycat'ish to be unique. No creativity either.

My friends name is a mix of her mom and her dads first names. It's such a beautiful name too! That's kind of what I mean by unique.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts