Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering about genetics, whats your parents' type??
My mother is an ESFP, my father an ISTJ.
Therefore i got my 'I' from dad, Ni from ?, Fe from mom and J from dad.
My brother is a ISFJ, and my other brother is an ENTP. Each of our traits belong to a parent except N, I wonder why??
Just a side note, i have met two other INFJs with unstable ESFP mothers in the course of four days! I told one of them whose father was an INTJ, that maybe our mothers go unstable because they are surrounded by so many logical thinkers, :tongue:

·
Registered
629 Posts
I don't particularly believe that your personality types are genetic, although I can't help but see patterns within families.

My extended family looks like this:
Maternal Grandma- ENTJ
Maternal Grandpa- INFP
Mom- INFP
Dad- ENTJ
Me- INFJ
Brother- ISTJ
Sister- ENFP
Cousins- INTJ & INTJ (Sisters), ISTP and Ixxx (Brothers), Exxx and Ixxx (Sister/Brother)

My husband's family looks like this:
Mom- ESTJ
Dad- INTP
Sister- ESFJ
My Husband- ENTP

I find it interesting that, in my mom's side of the family, most of the family are introverts and/or intuitives, whereas in my husband's family, most of them are extroverts, and in the extended family most seem to be sensors.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Just wondering about genetics, whats your parents' type??
My mother is an ESFP, my father an ISTJ.
Therefore i got my 'I' from dad, Ni from ?, Fe from mom and J from dad.
My brother is a ISFJ, and my other brother is an ENTP. Each of our traits belong to a parent except N, I wonder why??
Just a side note, i have met two other INFJs with unstable ESFP mothers in the course of four days! I told one of them whose father was an INTJ, that maybe our mothers go unstable because they are surrounded by so many logical thinkers, :tongue:
My family:
Dad: INTP
Mom: INFJ
Me: INFJ
Sister: ENFP

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!
MY MOM HAS AN UNSTABLE ESFP MOTHER TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, that's so weird!!!

It wouldn't make sense if it wasn't genetic.
My earliest memories (age 2) I distinctly remember having thoughts that I can say are very INFJ.
As soon as kids can walk, they start showing E or I, J or P, Te or Ti, Fe or Fi, Ni or Ne - just in how they interact with others.

I was always very cautious (J), preferred to be alone (I), knew what the adults were really thinking (Ni/Fe), had emotional outbursts at any injustice committed against anyone in the room (Fe), very passive and studied everything (Ti), overloaded by details (Se), liked finding a new toy and keeping it without getting bored of it (Not Ne or P). Again, this is at age 2.

I know too many families where every member is S or N for it to just be "random".
However, I do believe that two S parents can have an N child (or N to S) if there is a Grandparent or Uncle/Aunt that is N.

This isn't unfounded because personality disorders can be passed down.
But not all children of someone with a disorder will get it.
If personality disorders can be passed down, why wouldn't personalities be??

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Dad: ESTJ
Mom: INFP
Bro: ESTP

... Dunno if there's any correlation, but my brother and I do share our parents' letters... just a bit mixed, lol. Not that the letters matter. It's the functions that make the type after all.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Dad: ESTJ
Mom: INFP
Bro: ESTP

... Dunno if there's any correlation, but my brother and I do share our parents' letters... just a bit mixed, lol. Not that the letters matter. It's the functions that make the type after all.
You and your brother also have the exact same cog functions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THATS SO WEIRD THAT YOU HAVE AN UNSTABLE ESFP GRANDMOTHER! there has to be some scientific reason for that? 4 INFJs WITH UNSTABLE ESFP MOTHERS?? thats REALLY really weird!
and yeah i totally agree with you an all the genetic stuff.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,469 Posts
These days I tend to believe that a very small part of it is genetic and the rest is just experience and how you choose to react to those experiences/people. But that's subject to change. Here's what my family looks like:

Dad - ENTJ
Mom - ESFJ
Sister - ESFJ
Me - INFJ
Brother - INFP

Hubby's family:

Dad - INFJ
Mom - ISFJ
Oldest sister - ESFJ
Next oldest sister - ESFJ
Hubby - ENFJ
Younger Sister - ESFJ

·
Registered
970 Posts
THATS SO WEIRD THAT YOU HAVE AN UNSTABLE ESFP GRANDMOTHER! there has to be some scientific reason for that? 4 INFJs WITH UNSTABLE ESFP MOTHERS?? thats REALLY really weird!
and yeah i totally agree with you an all the genetic stuff.
Maybe an ESFP mother is more compatible with iN, or their Sensing gene is less dominant.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm not sure about this genetics thing.

I guess I could see Ni as recessive like my reddish hair. My dad somehow got it (though his aunt is a Ni of some kind) and my mom is a carrier. My dad is definitely the only intuitive in his immediate family. He had a tough childhood as the oldest and only Ni, especially with an estp brother after. My mom was not surrounded by thinkers, but I'd call her an unstable isfp. The thing is she used to call herself an esfp or esfj, but she hates being around people and the whole she's so very Fi thing. She'll still argue she's an extrovert sometimes as it is more socially acceptable and makes her feel better (yay Fi), but she leaves the house for about six hours a week. On a good week. I think she's unstable because she was the baby girl in a family of mostly feelers.

Dad: intj
Mom: isfp
Brother: istp

Grandparents on dad's side: esfj, estp
Dad's siblings: estp, istj, isfj, esfj

Grandparents on mom's side: infp, xstp
Mom's siblings: esfp, isfj, enfp, inxx (though I'd guess she's an infj from the 30 year entire family doorslam and descriptions. I've still never met her. My mom says sometimes I'm like her, and then says she's crazy and mean. Yeah.), istp

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
Mom: INTJ
Dad: INFJ (unconfirmed)
Brother: ISTP (Asperger's)

Temperment is in part genetic, as you see that in animals. I don't know how MBTI correlates with it though. It seems you'd need a lot more letters for different kinds of traits before you could have the accuracy needed for a true genetics test. In these threads that I've seen, family types are all over the map.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Dad: XNTP (Appa, you actually may be an 'E'...omg)
Mom: ESFJ
Sister: INTJ
Me: INFJ - duh

I've thought of this very topic. I'm no expert, but I will say that my dad is highly intuitive. As a funny sidenote, his aura photo and mine were nearly identical, and I've also been told by three psychics (two unsolicited btw) that I'm highly intuitive, and I KNOW I am...I'm starting to own this about myself. I see that intuition in my sister as well; we're both listening to our Nis like a mofo.
My mom and I share that Fe, and we tend to be the softies in the family, but I also see a lot of strength in that because we're able to put aside our pride more easily than the NTs in our humble clan (no offense Dad & sis). Anyway, I believe I was meant to be a part of my family; we all bring something of value and each of us fills a strength where another has a weakness.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Dad - ESTJ??
Mom - ENFP??
Me - INFJ
Sister - ENFJ
Sister - ENFP

My sisters and I have taken personality tests so that is why I know their types for certain, but my parents are unknown at the moment but I just listed what seems to fit for them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My Dad - ISTP
Ti (mine)
Se (mine)
Ni (mine)
Fe (mine)

My Mum - ESFJ

Fe (mine)
Si
Ne
Ti (mine)

All my cognitive functions are there just in a different order. I don't know why Ni became dominant. The brain works in mystical ways. I'm basically my dad but in different order.

·
Banned
2,728 Posts
Mom - ENFJ
Step-dad - ISFJ
Grandma (mother's side) ENFP
Grandpa (mother's side) INFJ

Dad - ISTJ
Sister - INFP
Brother - ESFP
Me - INFJ

That being said, I'm not completely sure about my grandparents. They do seem to be textbook examples of the ENFP/INFJ couple, though. My Dad never could connect very with my touchy-feely family...

·
Registered
38 Posts
that isn't genetics, behavioural habits picked up form our parents, our second function is developed around 12 so that probably isn't from your parents, i don't know how toddlers get their first function that would be the only possibly genetic thing there.

isfj-mother possibly almost e
infp-father maybe isfp not sure
e-fj-sister [she is too young to know what her second function defintily is, leaning towards s]
infp-me

creepy right?

·
Registered
100 Posts
My mom is an ESFP. We get along really well, for the most part.
My dad (me and my sibs have different dads) is probably an... xSTx...not too sure. We don't get along that well though, he has a very short temper, his priorities are pretty mixed up, stuff like that. Sometimes we get along though.
It's ironic because the OP and i are in pretty much the same boat (my dad probably leans toward xSTJ). i don't think the OP is still active though lol.
I'm an INFJ. Sister ENFJ (her and our mom did NOT get along when she was a teen [she's older than me]. she's now in her mid/late 20's, they get along now but she's pretty hot headed so when they fight it is dramatic). Brother ESTP is my guess ish (eh, he's just whatever)...I don't know his type for sure either.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Took me like an hour to write this

Mom - ENTJ
Dad - ISFJ
Brother - ENTJ
Me - INFP
Its hard guys. Real hard. & my dad married an ESFJ. Even harder yall.

Mat Grandfather - ESFP - maybe N
Mat Grandmother - ESFJ - I'm pretty sure that's it, she's always been unstable
Brother Greg - ISFP (birth order: 1 ESFJ daughter, 1 ESFP daughter, 1 ISFP son, 1 ESTP son [could be N but doubtful] - likely an ESFJ mother)
my Mom - ENTJ
All of them are pretty silly, not always in a good way . . . I think my mom grew up wanting to be the opposite of all of them, and she had to be independent, but also she said that she was more of an introvert when she was younger . . . I'm not certain of that beacuse I don't know if she knows what that means but idk. Also she might have meant before like 13.

Pat Grandfather - ESTJ
Pat Grandmother - INFP (maybe J) - now I think she might be different but this is how she was
my Dad - ISFJ
Brother Ken - xSxJ
Brother Robert - ENF or ENT (I like him - both of his children are Is and kind of like me I guess, I don't know about his wife)
Sister Kathy - ENF (likeish her, can't remember well though I've seen her this year, undecided)
These are guesses because I don't know my dad's side very well. Dad's dad is easy to peg because he used to be such a judgmental racist sexist sonuvabitch. Now he's mellower. How they would have ended up together being total opposites . . . but I think I'm right, and it's no wonder they split. That would mean they each gave my dad half of his personality . . . my dad lived with his dad after they split and that was before his personality had totally developed, I think.

Conclusion: maybe genetics because I wasn't around my dad's grandmother much so nothing could have rubbed off . . . someone said Temperament was genetic, but I didn't get mine from my parents. But I feel normal compared to everyone else even though I'm one of the "weird" ones who took an hour to write up a stupid post but I learned a lot.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts