Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few Questions:

1. How do you know that whether you are passionate or just interested about something?

2. If suppose you are interested in two fields : Field A and Field B.
Suppose, you have all the skills, intelligence and practice required for Field A. But you are more interested in Field B, but you don't have that much intelligence and skills for field B.
What should you do?
Field A had been your passion for a lot of years, but it never satisfied you at that extreme level, which Field B does! It satisfies you, it gives you immense opportunities to learn and think and enhance yourself. Field B is amazing. But you don't have all the skills required for it. It's gonna take time, dedication and practice.
Where should you invest your energy? Field A or Field B?

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
1. How do you know that whether you are passionate or just interested about something?
I think what is important to discern in this case is whether Field B is a longterm interest that you can keep coming back to again and again. It sounds like both are passions, or things you are intensely energized by. You have more current interest and passion in B, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good longterm choice.

2. If suppose you are interested in two fields : Field A and Field B.
Suppose, you have all the skills, intelligence and practice required for Field A. But you are more interested in Field B, but you don't have that much intelligence and skills for field B.
What should you do?
Field A had been your passion for a lot of years, but it never satisfied you at that extreme level, which Field B does! It satisfies you, it gives you immense opportunities to learn and think and enhance yourself. Field B is amazing. But you don't have all the skills required for it. It's gonna take time, dedication and practice.
Where should you invest your energy? Field A or Field B?
Are there any major lifestyle differences between Field A and Field B? Are there job opportunities in Field B? Would you be able to maintain your current quality of life if you dropped your work in Field A to pursue Field B, and if not, how much are you willing to give up? What will you do if, in a year, you realize your interest in Field B is fading? Will you be readily able to go back into Field A? Just some thoughts to consider.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
My two cents, do what you're most skilled at and good at.

I was met with the same dilemma when I turned 20, and what I would tell my 20 year old self, is don't screw up your life going to do something you're not 100% on, being good at.

So I guess my criticism is, that Field B sounds great but if you don't have the skills for it, how is it going to open up opportunities? Most opportunities go for the thing you're most skilled at when you look back at the history of your practice of it.

I wish I stayed in Law, I am skilled at it, and can interpret legal documents to a high degree. I chose Psychology over passion, hoping my extracurricular activities in research would mean "greater opportunities", it doesn't really mean that now that my GPA has plumeted to the ground because I never considered my skill set, that I wasn't ever really good at the psychology subjects, just very medicore at them.

You're either really good at something or not. My best advice would be to tell you to do Field A (if you're more skilled at it), then later do Field B, or vice versa, basically do the one that you're most skilled at first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts