Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a Doctor's appointment today in regard to a recent period of being unwell.
At the last visit I had a second set of more intensive blood tests and today I was told that I had anti-bodies to Glandular Fever.
Say what?
I told the Doctor i'd never had Glandular Fever and she said without a doubt I had!

We discussed the symptoms and tried to guess a time when I might have had it.
It would appear that I contracted Glandular Fever during/after an extended backpacking trip through South Africa (the Continent) in the early 90's.

Anyways, I was surprised that something so obvious was never diagnosed in the past or that I never even realised I was ill at the time.
Which makes me ask the question:

Has anyone discovered that they'd had an unusual illness in the past and never knew about it until much later in their lives?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yes to unusual illness, but it's not exactly limited to the past. I have an uncommon genetic illness. It affects 1 in 10,000 people. No one diagnosed me my entire life because they weren't aware it existed. It's a very specialized field. I found out I had it a couple of years ago.

·
Banned
659 Posts
I once got hospitalized with Pneumonia at a doctor's appointment while there to discuss something totally unrelated.

I also found in adulthood that I had a few conditions that were missed as a child - Attention Deficit Disorder and Misophonia. I just thought I was a bit weird - I still don't consider either condition to be anything to really be bothered about.

Reactions: VinnieBob

·
mafia mod
13,335 Posts
Yea, a rheumatologist was checking for osteoarthritis. Didnt find any, but he discovered a thoracic compression fracture. More than likely due to a car accident ages ago.

·
Spam-I-am
13,760 Posts
when I was 1st diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my left shoulder 28 years ago
the doc told me I had broken my shoulder at some point
I told him I had never broken a bone in my body

1 - 5 of 5 Posts