Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
IXFP 9w1 4w5 6w7 Pisces
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to see how many people actually believe in past lives. I don't exactly mean like being reincarnated as a cat, but more like yourself living in another time as another person (if that makes sense...) I don't personally believe in it, but a friend of mine says she can see people's pasts if she focuses enough. She even said she saw mine! True or not it's an interesting thought, right?

So what I want to know is:

Do you believe in past lives?

Do you know (or think you know) what yours was?

If not, what would you guess?

When did you live?

How did you die?

Were you a different gender?

What career did you have?

And anything else about reincarnation and the like...

Reactions: risuchan and niki

·
Registered
663 Posts

I don't believe in past lives, I know it to be are a real phenomenon. It is also the best explanation to date that I have found about for some very interesting phenomena..like people knowing with uncanning accuracy the custom of past times, why regression therapy heals some illness that any other type of treatment can't, Xenoglossia, transgenders, deja vu feeling of having meeting someone before, child prodigies and so many more.

Some interesting research about it are Dr.Wambach demographic studies and Dr. Arthur Guirdham research on the Cathars on France. Also the Shanti Devi case of reincarnation is very suggestive of the possibility that reincarnation is real.

I am aware of some of my past lives. The one that I remember the most...I was a priestesses of the fertility/love/war goddess Ishtar.

When did you live?

There is a strong possibility that I live in Babylonia,Assyria...around the Mesopotamia area.

How did you die?

Don't remember XD.

I was a woman.

I was kind of a spiritual adviser/healer and probably practice something called sacred prostitution. Sex in the past was view as a spiritual practice and a method to balance the psyche and heal the sick. Knowing about this past life helped me to understand my very unusual interest in sex and its connection with spirituality and some other strange custom of mine..ex: since little I don't kill bees. I always carry them out of the house with a broom. These cultures believe that bees where the reincarnation of fallen priestesses and a representation of the divine feminine.

I also notice that who you are, doesn't change much from life to life and you retain some of the things you learned. Ex: I am very sensible to sexual energy and have experience things that only people that practice tantra like disciplines achieve after many years.

·
Registered
416 Posts
To answer this you need to know what it is that makes you who you are. What part of my self is it that would be around before I was even born?

To that I would answer that the potential of our self was always there. But that then raises the question of where the potential of future people is and etc. In this potential I would see the same mechanisms we use to understand how information works (Or at least how I see it, so that information doesn't exist on its own, but that somehow it exists in some sort of relational capacity to the actual). Expressions of matter which give rise to certain inevitabilities and other possibilities, like a ball falling down a hill. Gravity has certain inevitable effects on the ball, but the hill has many possibilities for how that effect will be expressed. And so who we are is this inevitable force which is shaped by the bumps in the hill side (individual people) that we are rolling down.

Therefore the idea that 'we' including the possibilities that we hold could be any other kind of being is absurd. However if we leave the inevitabilities of being human, if we leave just the force which drives us to the places we go, then we are in fact all the exact same thing anyway. I don't think past lives are a good way to express how people actually are.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I do personally believe in past lives. Parents recently revealed to me that I when I was very young (3 or 4) I talked about dying in a war by a sword. I don't really know what that means but it kinda frightened me. It could have just been my imagination but they told me that I wasn't aloud to watch TV or read anything violent at that age. It could mean something. ;v

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I think I found out back then that I was supposedly one of the hostage victims of the Norrmalmstorg robbery, famous for the origin of 'Stockholm Syndrome'. I believe it was either that or a slave from a long time ago.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I do believe in past lives and reincarnation. It honestly makes me feel better about the afterlife. Many years ago I read a book called Many Lives, Many Masters that opened up this subject to me. I believe that each life that we have places us on the physical plane. It is here that we are tested and tried. That is why life can be so difficult. When we complete each life and hopefully learn what we are supposed to, we are transported to the spiritual plane for a resting period. I know it sounds kinda crazy but it helps me make sense of what happens in life.

Personally I don't really remember any of my past lives but I have talked to other people who do. My art teacher in High School told me her daughter had very clear and strong recollections of talking to "God" before she was born. She also told me that she thought she, herself, had died by first being hung and then drowned in a past life. She said that her entire life she has had a very strong and unexplainable anxiety when it comes to water. When she was younger and stepped into a body of water a burning red line would appear all the way around her neck like the lines from a noose.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Yes
They can be so vague in detail, yet so rich in experience.
It's hard to shake off.

Yes, I personally believe I have experienced memories from several past lives.
I prefer the term "simultaneous-incarnation" as time may or may not exist.

At some point I feel like I was a tree, but I have no tree memories.
I would say it's much easier to experience human existences, because we reside as humans currently.
I have all too quickly forgotten how trees experience things, so it is hard for me to pin point.

When did you live?
I'm unsure of the dates, my last human experience was around the mid to late 1500's. I was a peasant. (male)

There was a brief previous life in an indigenous tribal setting. (Male)

I lived in what was a Sumerian-esque type of community. (Female)

The last memory is hard to decipher time on, as I was not a human, but rather an unearthly humanoid creature.

How did you die?
The only death I remember is being burned alive.
Obviously, it was pretty traumatizing.

I believe in one specific incarnation I was a woman, reluctantly betrothed to an abusive man.
I loathed him.

Peasant, serf type laborer. (1500's)

Tribal rhythm leader, kind of an assistant to the song-keeper.

Oppressed alien existence, I had some sort of niche not necessarily an occupation.
My species acted as conduits, mediums to other dimensions for an oppressing species of aliens.
I think what happened is I contacted myself, somehow.
There seemed to be a lot of panic about this.

Reactions: Ametcitra

·
Registered
95 Posts

Yes, but I also believe we go through cycles in our lives to learn a life lesson we didn't know before like love, pain, betrayal, and etc. The difference between a life lesson and everyday life was more the whole theme of you life was dealing with betrayal and overcoming it, or finding true love and knowing what it is in your heart at the deepest core. I think we go through so many cycles then once we learned what we learned then.. I have no clue.. I hope we go off to a better place of true peace and joy.

Also, it helps makes sense of why might have some fears when nothing of the sort ever happened to us a children. Like some people are afraid of water or swimming but don't know why.. maybe you drowned in a past life?

I have no clue

I would like to think I was a samurai or warrior of some type that dealt with betrayal of my brother in a fight. Like, I gave him mercy to let him live and he turned around and killed me. I have clue why but it like one those thoughts that has always played in my head and I don't know why... It also could explain why I don't trust people definitely family completely when I really want too.

When did you live?

No clue

How did you die?

Betrayal???

Probably, but I only know of kind being just a male.

Warrior, Samurai or soldier of some type..

·
Registered
147 Posts
So what I want to know is:

Yes

Yes

When did you live?
France, at least a Century Ago
Germany, Pre-WWII
Mongolia, Numerous Centuries Ago
Russia, Century-and-a-Half Ago
Italy, Renaissance Period

How did you die?
Uncertain

In Mongolia Maybe

Novelist, Assassin or Warrior, Mystical Monk, Fine Artist Painter (Romantic, Renaissance)

I also believe I'm not the only person in my spiritual lineage with an NT/NF temperament. I believe MANY of my previous incarnations were NT and NF, like INTP and INFP. That's why I'm half of both.

Reactions: ii V I

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'm not conscious of what or who I was in a past life but I do think they are real. Maybe not a "past life" in a conventional sense of a human ego that transcends different human lifetimes but they are past lives none the less. If matter cannot be created or destroyed and we are made up of matter ourselves then certainly we are made up of previous reincarnations of that matter and the energy that they have. Every time we eat something that food becomes part of us. And when we die we will go back to the earth and we will become part of the organisms that feast upon us when we die. Even if all we do is burn up and become rock.

·
Registered
IXFP 9w1 4w5 6w7 Pisces
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow so it appears that many of us do believe in past lives or reincarnation. My friend who said she saw my past life told me I was living in southern United States around the time of slavery. My parents were wealthy/high class and I was their only child, a girl. Apparently I was extremely ill or weak the majority of my short life. I died around seven due to the sickness (whatever it really was). In that time my mother and father neglected me because they had 'more important' matters to attend to being of high class and all. Many wealthy white families let their children be raised by the slaves. That's exactly what happened to me. That nanny, her daughter, and my doctor were my only friends. This doctor traveled the world and told me about the places he had been; if I would've lived longer, I would've wanted to see those places.

It kind of surprised me when she told me I died so young, but it kind of would make sense. I'm still quite young at heart, and now that I'm getting older, I have no idea what I'm actually good at. I just want to travel and live a long happy life. The 'past me' was usually alone which would explain my inverted nature, however I do love being around people and long for personal relationships, like the little girl did.

I'm still not completely sold on the idea of reincarnation, but it definitely is a possibility.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow so it appears that many of us do believe in past lives or reincarnation. My friend who said she saw my past life told me I was living in southern United States around the time of slavery. My parents were wealthy/high class and I was their only child, a girl. Apparently I was extremely ill or weak the majority of my short life. I died around seven due to the sickness (whatever it really was). In that time my mother and father neglected me because they had 'more important' matters to attend to being of high class and all. Many wealthy white families let their children be raised by the slaves. That's exactly what happened to me. That nanny, her daughter, and my doctor were my only friends. This doctor traveled the world and told me about the places he had been; if I would've lived longer, I would've wanted to see those places.

It kind of surprised me when she told me I died so young, but it kind of would make sense. I'm still quite young at heart, and now that I'm getting older, I have no idea what I'm actually good at. I just want to travel and live a long happy life. The 'past me' was usually alone which would explain my inverted nature, however I do love being around people and long for personal relationships, like the little girl did.

I'm still not completely sold on the idea of reincarnation, but it definitely is a possibility.
As well you SHOULD Travel. Especially by plane. A lot of people are unaware of it, but did you know between the years 2009-2012 there hasn't been ANY plane crashes in the United States. 2009-2012 has been the safest time to fly of all time. Hopefully it will stay that way....and continue to even out. I'd fly but I can't afford how much money flying costs.

·
Registered
IXFP 9w1 4w5 6w7 Pisces
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd fly but I can't afford how much money flying costs.
This is my dilemma. No money. And even if I had enough to fly, I'd then have no money to survive off of... Hence being stuck in Alaska, as I've been for the majority of my life.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is my dilemma. No money. And even if I had enough to fly, I'd then have no money to survive off of... Hence being stuck in Alaska, as I've been for the majority of my life.
Hey, I'm a very giving kinda guy. I'd be more than happy to forward you a check to cover travel expenses as I like helping people, but unfortunately I've been stuck in the same way for the majority of my life too, but in the Southeast U.S. I have no money either other than Social Security. Which isn't much.

Life without money can really suck sometimes. I totally understand your problem in that sense....

·
Registered
IXFP 9w1 4w5 6w7 Pisces
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey, I'm a very giving kinda guy. I'd be more than happy to forward you a check to cover travel expenses as I like helping people, but unfortunately I've been stuck in the same way for the majority of my life too, but in the Southeast U.S. I have no money either other than Social Security. Which isn't much.

Life without money can really suck sometimes. I totally understand your problem in that sense....
Oh jeeze that is definitely the nicest thing I've had someone say to me in quite some time, so thank you. Even if you did have the money though, I doubt I'd be able to accept that. I just need to focus on being able to support myself. Regardless, some day when we're both rich we can travel (by plane) together and escape our boring Alaskan/Southeastern US lives.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Oh jeeze that is definitely the nicest thing I've had someone say to me in quite some time, so thank you. Even if you did have the money though, I doubt I'd be able to accept that. I just need to focus on being able to support myself. Regardless, some day when we're both rich we can travel (by plane) together and escape our boring Alaskan/Southeastern US lives.
Hey, I'd love that! Ha ha! We could be travel partners.

To tell you the truth, both my birth parents did a lot of travelling back in the day according to their public records before I was born. Then they had me, and after I got adopted as a baby, my parents moved me and my brother out to Florida. I don't hate Florida in reality, but I've always had a secret fantasy about leaving florida and NEVER, EVER coming back under any circumstances, and just traveling the world with no particular destination other than adventure and cultural learning. I don't resent where I live so much as the fact that I've been subdued into staying in one spot for over a decade and a half and not moving around much. It contradicts my spiritual nature as a wanderer and world citizen.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I wouldn't say that I believe in past lives or reincarnation, but it seems to me as a plausible reason for the phenomena that have been recorded. If I do have a past life, I would like it to be that I lived in ancient times. I've always felt a kind of pull towards that era and am a kind of mythology buff.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Dr Ian Stevenson's research into reincarnation is interesting.

I hope it's true because then it means that I won't ultimately die, and that the people who have suffered and die horrifically never ultimately die, and have the opportunity to have good life.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm glad you posted this thread. This is a topic I've been thinking a lot about these past couple of years.

I do believe in past lives. I like to believe we were put on this earth to learn life's lesson for the growth of our soul. And one lifetime isn't enough to learn everything.

I don't have any memories of my past lives but I have had bizarre dreams that could possibly relate to a past life. And I've had a strong affinity to a particular country. I also feel unexplainable connections to certain people I meet...the sort of feeling you get when you meet someone for the first time but feel like you've known each other for a long time.

I've thought about doing a past life regression with a psychotherapist but I just haven't mustered up the courage to do it. I tried to listen to self-regression tapes but I always end up falling asleep. Whether past lives are true or not, it would be interesting to see what lies hidden deep within my subconscious.

There's a fiction novel series I read recently that focuses on the past lives, the Infinite Series by L.E. Waters. It's a trilogy...the first two are already out but the third should be coming pretty soon. It's a good read for those who are really interested in past lives.

Reactions: Teen Rose
1 - 20 of 46 Posts