Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a certain smell from the early 70's but didn't know what it was called. Some record stores & head shops I went to that sold black lights, glowing posters, tie dye t-shirts, wooden flutes & such always had this smell. A few years ago a comedian was joking about people smelling like "patchouli" & I heard it mentioned elsewhere a few times & after I Googled it I was curious. Well, today I'm at the mall & wander into this new store that sells retro 60's stuff. And they have a little bottle of patchouli oil, $4.95. I have to know what it smells like so I buy it (& a wooden flute:laughing:) open it & take a whiff. It was that smell! The headshop/record store smell I remember from my youth! Blast from the past. It actually brought back memories. I had to laugh. Now I know the name of that smell & as per usual I'm probably the last person on the planet to learn this. They had patchouli incense & candles too. Some people hate it but I find it rather pleasant. Maybe it just reminds me of a simpler time.

Reactions: R22

·
Registered
657 Posts
i love this fragrance as well. it is not overpowering and very nice. a smell that i always have on me. my sheets blankets and underwarms smell of it

Reactions: Aqualung

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
I remember the smell of sandlewood. Was that a different decade?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remember the smell of sandlewood. Was that a different decade?
I think I remember that one from the same era. Another one I remember was Jasmine.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I still buy all three scents (as incense) to this day. Four, if you throw in "musk". I loooove patchouli best though, always have.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
Alas, incense makes me sneeze copiously. But I do enjoy lovely and subtle scents in my wonderful soaps! My friend sent me handmade soap with a patchouli aroma. Oooh, I love that!!!

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
Just thinking about musk makes me laugh. When I was in my early teens, my friend and I went to a department store and had way too much fun. We tried on Carmen Miranda hats and laughed hysterically at the mirror. Then we picked up the samples of fragrance and sprayed them at people's rear ends. The one that we did the most spraying with was musk. I cannot even think about musk without going into fits of laughter, and no one knows what that's about.

I still buy all three scents (as incense) to this day. Four, if you throw in "musk". I loooove patchouli best though, always have.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Just thinking about musk makes me laugh. When I was in my early teens, my friend and I went to a department store and had way too much fun. We tried on Carmen Miranda hats and laughed hysterically at the mirror. Then we picked up the samples of fragrance and sprayed them at people's rear ends. The one that we did the most spraying with was musk. I cannot even think about musk without going into fits of laughter, and no one knows what that's about.

Holy cow! That sounds like it was TOO fun! Good times, for sure...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Anyone on their own over New Year: want a REAL chat? (New Year's Eve/ Day)-skype/phon

Aware that some people maybe feeling lonely at this time of year when many are with family or friends. I'll be around, not online all the time. Its good to hear a real voice, have a listening ear... general friendly chatter. Feel free to get in touch.

Happy New Year.
:happy:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I don't recall patchouli from when I was a kid and I never smoked pot or was around it to know that people used it as a 'cover' scent. As an adult, I've been consistently sickened by the smell of patchouli until pretty recently. A couple years ago, I was given a sample at a spa and loved it! I like to put it on my shoulders before cycling in the summer, or mix it with a little orange or lavender oil. It's earthy and reminds me of the woods, really sensual feelings when wearing it. I have a soy candle that I take camping and love the scent! I think camping may be the reason I started liking it!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Incense and patchouli...

Immediately thought of this song:

Its that incredible ISTJ ability to recall useless details. I actually never knew what patchouli was, thanks!

·
Registered
30,772 Posts
I wear it everyday, but a very little goes a long way. Gotta' go easy with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts