Personality Cafe banner

Do you consider yourself to be patriotic?

• Introvert - Yes

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Introvert - No

Votes: 39 54.2%
  • Extravert - Yes

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Extravert - No

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Sensor - Yes

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Sensor - No

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Intuitive - Yes

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • Intuitive - No

Votes: 34 47.2%
  • Thinker - Yes

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Thinker - No

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Feeler - Yes

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Feeler - No

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • Judger - Yes

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Judger - No

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Perceiver - Yes

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Perceiver - No

Votes: 30 41.7%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you consider yourself to be somewhat patriotic? Or very much so?

pa·tri·ot·ism

(ˈpātrēəˌtizəm)
noun
noun: patriotism
"the quality of being patriotic; vigorous support for one's country"

Even if it's not "vigorous" support, how do you feel about being a part of a country? Is that "being a part of" something really important to you? A value?

Or are you like me, typically preferring not to associate yourself with a country like that, for many reasons which I won't go on about in this post (I've talked about it here before too). Even countries I really love, I don't think that "feeling" of patriotism is something I've ever had. It just isn't me. So I'm curious about other people and types!

The poll should be fairly straight forward, just make four votes total, one for each of your MBTI letters. Thanks for participating!

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
[INTP]

When I was younger, I was very patriotic. Now and days, not so much.
I love my country, but I'm not proud of it. The people here some oblivious too all our countries flaws, and simply mentioning them is seen as the worse thing yet. A lot of the people here grow up thinking that our country is the best, but it isn't.

The schools in my country have strong political biases, and only teach students too be closed minded, and too only look at one side of every story.
Most of the people here can't handle hearing things they don't like. There was even a case where these radical feminists ruined a guy's life, and bring him too court, for

Saying that in his opinion, women getting beaten up in video games isn't a big deal

Reactions: soop

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
14,629 Posts
Lots of people appear to be patriotic here in the United States. Why is that?

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Lots of people appear to be patriotic here in the United States. Why is that?
Because of their McD's, fried Mars Bars, Honey Boo Boo and guns! Duh...

Reactions: BigApplePi

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
While I don't hate the U.S., I can't say I'm overly patriotic about it (except on, like, Fourth of July because I love it when shit explodes). I find the "God bless America" and "best country in the world" shit a lot of politicians do is completely disingenuous and annoying. Like, the U.S. isn't a bad country, but the best​? Chill.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
Indeed, I am patriotic, because currently, I live nowhere else on earth, other than my own country. Thus, it is necessary I take care of / protect it.

(e.g., my country is good but it can always do better, owning up to the past (learning from history in order not to repeat it -- demythologizing), etc.

Proactive / positive attitude (towards ones own country / inhabitance), regardless of "how many mistakes we make," or "how many times we fuck something up,".

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
I am ISTP.

Do you consider yourself to be somewhat patriotic? Or very much so?

pa·tri·ot·ism

(ˈpātrēəˌtizəm)
noun
noun: patriotism
"the quality of being patriotic; vigorous support for one's country"

Even if it's not "vigorous" support, how do you feel about being a part of a country? Is that "being a part of" something really important to you? A value?
I live in the United States. I consider myself lucky to be a citizen in this country compared to others, despite its problems. As such, I make sure not to badmouth this country (although I must add delivering constructive criticism about certain things is fine as long as you're willing to do your part and vote). One of my pet peeves is people who constantly complain about where they live without doing anything productive or trying to move out.

However, I'm not sure that I can consider myself a patriot, so I voted "no" in the poll. It's not an important value in my life to support my country. I also do not find it important to have a sense of belonging in this country. I do not consider being an "American" to be an important part of my identity. I do not relate to the so-called "patriots" of my country. I certainly don't consider the US as "the best country." I don't think I love my country, but I respect it.

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
14,629 Posts
Am I patriotic? What do I have to do to be patriotic? After all I live here and can't help it. My country ain't so innocent like yours says it is but am I gonna let you get away with what you say about it? Dog God bless _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
It depends. I don't buy into the idea that America is a single country. I mean, anyone who lives here (and alot of Non-Americans too) recognize that people in, say, Alabama, tend to believe very different things from those who live in Connecticut. Or that the Pacific Northwest does things a certain way, but when you travel east to Idaho or Montana, the way of doing things has totally changed.

I like the national boundaries idea that Joel Garreau talks about in his "Nine Nations Of North America" book. He says explicitly what everyone else has already figured out: there is alot more than one country here, and that includes the Canadian provinces too.

from this perspective:

-I'm patriotic about Mexamerica which is the nation I live in, the Empty Quarter, and the Breadbasket
-I like Ecotopia but I don't respect it
-I respect Dixie and The Foundry without liking them
-New England I want nothing to do with

One stereotypical patriotic thing about me is my huge support for the right to self-defense. When people start talking about stricter gun laws as a way of "reducing violence", I go from ambivalent about America to Patriot McFreedom. Shall not be infringed. What a wonderful phrase. <3

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
14,629 Posts

from this perspective:

-I'm patriotic about Mexamerica which is the nation I live in, the Empty Quarter, and the Breadbasket
My off-the-cuff prejudices:

Mexamerica - Exotic peoples
Empty Quarter - Stay away from mt space
Breadbasket - I'm glad if hungry
Ectopia - Idealists
Foundry - Someone has to do work
The Islands - Too close to drowning
Dixie - Dangerous traditions
Quebec - A cold culture
New England - Glad for a home base

Change my mind if you please ...

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
Change my mind if you please ...
I don't have any intentions of doing that, people like what they like and dislike what they dislike. I guess if you wanted your mind changed, you could travel to each area, one by one, to fully take each of them in.

·
Registered
980 Posts
It s not for me.

Patriotism for me seems to be a one way street. I just cannot understand the “love” that one is supposed to feel fore the country you were born in. Its just a country!

It s a conservative republican manifestation to bring all those like minded people together with a Hollywood slogan.

To me it is just the face of the military institutions as I hear patriotism mentioned in every NSA, FBI, spy films, war films, terrorist films, politicians and anything and anyone that involves extreme power and control

I very rarely hear the word in the UK and it is only used by politicians to stir up the right wing racist hatred of those who are different to the white majority

·
Registered
10 Posts
It depends. I don't buy into the idea that America is a single country. I mean, anyone who lives here (and alot of Non-Americans too) recognize that people in, say, Alabama, tend to believe very different things from those who live in Connecticut. Or that the Pacific Northwest does things a certain way, but when you travel east to Idaho or Montana, the way of doing things has totally changed.

I like the national boundaries idea that Joel Garreau talks about in his "Nine Nations Of North America" book. He says explicitly what everyone else has already figured out: there is alot more than one country here, and that includes the Canadian provinces too.

from this perspective:

One stereotypical patriotic thing about me is my huge support for the right to self-defense. When people start talking about stricter gun laws as a way of "reducing violence", I go from ambivalent about America to Patriot McFreedom. Shall not be infringed. What a wonderful phrase. <3
I wouldn't say anyone. I personally disagree with you that there's several regions within the U.S. that are distinct. People from those regions, as well as "the way that things are done" in those regions are more or less all the same to me with negligible differences. I've travelled to each area and saw no distinction except in sometimes density and geography, but never the people.

--

I personally think patriotism is lame. It's one thing to be comfortable in the place you live in but it's another to take on your self-identity and exhume pride from it. I personally believe pride should come only from your achievements and taking pride in other people's achievements, which is ultimately what constitutes patriotism, is a sign that someone has little to offer. I've never loved something and I hope I never do. I'm much more content moving from place to place.

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
14,629 Posts
I don't have any intentions of doing that, people like what they like and dislike what they dislike. I guess if you wanted your mind changed, you could travel to each area, one by one, to fully take each of them in.
When I asked for what I meant was suggestions to change my mind about these attitudes I claimed for these territories, I was underneath trying to look for clues about patriotism. Sorry if this seems distant.

My views on those territories are superficial and not written in stone. If they were hardened they could wrongly affect those territories if adapted by too many people. Sure I could travel to those territories and learn, but I'm not going to do that. I live where I am (East coast) and can have my mind changed.

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
14,629 Posts
I personally think patriotism is lame.
It would seem so. I see the reason being what does an individual's values have to do with an entire country filled with people of whom we can know only very few?

I see the answer having to do with outside countries. We do see many other countries by how they interact with ours. If they appear to act on our side favorably that is one thing. If the opposite, that is another. If other countries actions become newsworthy it can unite one's own country. A problem though is we can become victims of those in our country whose values don't represent us. Propaganda. We have to learn about our own country and verify that bad or good things are happening to it else we be caught up in false patRIOTism.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It would seem so. I see the reason being what does an individual's values have to do with an entire country filled with people of whom we can know only very few?

I see the answer having to do with outside countries. We do see many other countries by how they interact with ours. If they appear to act on our side favorably that is one thing. If the opposite, that is another. If other countries actions become newsworthy it can unite one's own country. A problem though is we can become victims of those in our country whose values don't represent us. Propaganda. We have to learn about our own country and verify that bad or good things are happening to it else we be caught up in false patRIOTism.
Patriotism is nothing more than living vicariously through other people. The ideology is literally taking personal investment in other people's achievements. It also implies a common "union" between you and others you have absolutely no idea of who just so happen to have the same nationality, and presumably the same interests though you've never met them.

I understand the purpose of patriotism from a government standpoint but I wholeheartedly dislike the notion personally. I think it's morally bankrupt.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
esfp

It's hard to feel "patriotic" when your country embarrasses the heck out of you by electing a....

never mind.

"If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all."

(shuts mouth, says nothing)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts