Personality Cafe banner

Do you consider yourself to be patriotic?

• Introvert - Yes

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Introvert - No

Votes: 39 54.2%
  • Extravert - Yes

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Extravert - No

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Sensor - Yes

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Sensor - No

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Intuitive - Yes

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • Intuitive - No

Votes: 34 47.2%
  • Thinker - Yes

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Thinker - No

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Feeler - Yes

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Feeler - No

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • Judger - Yes

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Judger - No

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Perceiver - Yes

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Perceiver - No

Votes: 30 41.7%

Patriotism

2K views 46 replies 32 participants last post by  SilentScream 
#1 · (Edited)
Do you consider yourself to be somewhat patriotic? Or very much so?

pa·tri·ot·ism

(ˈpātrēəˌtizəm)
noun
noun: patriotism
"the quality of being patriotic; vigorous support for one's country"

Even if it's not "vigorous" support, how do you feel about being a part of a country? Is that "being a part of" something really important to you? A value?

Or are you like me, typically preferring not to associate yourself with a country like that, for many reasons which I won't go on about in this post (I've talked about it here before too). Even countries I really love, I don't think that "feeling" of patriotism is something I've ever had. It just isn't me. So I'm curious about other people and types!

The poll should be fairly straight forward, just make four votes total, one for each of your MBTI letters. Thanks for participating!

See less See more
#2 ·
[INTP]

When I was younger, I was very patriotic. Now and days, not so much.
I love my country, but I'm not proud of it. The people here some oblivious too all our countries flaws, and simply mentioning them is seen as the worse thing yet. A lot of the people here grow up thinking that our country is the best, but it isn't.

The schools in my country have strong political biases, and only teach students too be closed minded, and too only look at one side of every story.
Most of the people here can't handle hearing things they don't like. There was even a case where these radical feminists ruined a guy's life, and bring him too court, for

Saying that in his opinion, women getting beaten up in video games isn't a big deal

Reactions: soop
#5 ·
Because of their McD's, fried Mars Bars, Honey Boo Boo and guns! Duh...

Reactions: BigApplePi
#6 ·
While I don't hate the U.S., I can't say I'm overly patriotic about it (except on, like, Fourth of July because I love it when shit explodes). I find the "God bless America" and "best country in the world" shit a lot of politicians do is completely disingenuous and annoying. Like, the U.S. isn't a bad country, but the best​? Chill.

#7 ·
Indeed, I am patriotic, because currently, I live nowhere else on earth, other than my own country. Thus, it is necessary I take care of / protect it.

(e.g., my country is good but it can always do better, owning up to the past (learning from history in order not to repeat it -- demythologizing), etc.

Proactive / positive attitude (towards ones own country / inhabitance), regardless of "how many mistakes we make," or "how many times we fuck something up,".

#9 ·
I am ISTP.

Do you consider yourself to be somewhat patriotic? Or very much so?

pa·tri·ot·ism

(ˈpātrēəˌtizəm)
noun
noun: patriotism
"the quality of being patriotic; vigorous support for one's country"

Even if it's not "vigorous" support, how do you feel about being a part of a country? Is that "being a part of" something really important to you? A value?
I live in the United States. I consider myself lucky to be a citizen in this country compared to others, despite its problems. As such, I make sure not to badmouth this country (although I must add delivering constructive criticism about certain things is fine as long as you're willing to do your part and vote). One of my pet peeves is people who constantly complain about where they live without doing anything productive or trying to move out.

However, I'm not sure that I can consider myself a patriot, so I voted "no" in the poll. It's not an important value in my life to support my country. I also do not find it important to have a sense of belonging in this country. I do not consider being an "American" to be an important part of my identity. I do not relate to the so-called "patriots" of my country. I certainly don't consider the US as "the best country." I don't think I love my country, but I respect it.

#10 ·
Am I patriotic? What do I have to do to be patriotic? After all I live here and can't help it. My country ain't so innocent like yours says it is but am I gonna let you get away with what you say about it? Dog God bless _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

#12 ·
It depends. I don't buy into the idea that America is a single country. I mean, anyone who lives here (and alot of Non-Americans too) recognize that people in, say, Alabama, tend to believe very different things from those who live in Connecticut. Or that the Pacific Northwest does things a certain way, but when you travel east to Idaho or Montana, the way of doing things has totally changed.

I like the national boundaries idea that Joel Garreau talks about in his "Nine Nations Of North America" book. He says explicitly what everyone else has already figured out: there is alot more than one country here, and that includes the Canadian provinces too.

from this perspective:

-I'm patriotic about Mexamerica which is the nation I live in, the Empty Quarter, and the Breadbasket
-I like Ecotopia but I don't respect it
-I respect Dixie and The Foundry without liking them
-New England I want nothing to do with

One stereotypical patriotic thing about me is my huge support for the right to self-defense. When people start talking about stricter gun laws as a way of "reducing violence", I go from ambivalent about America to Patriot McFreedom. Shall not be infringed. What a wonderful phrase. <3

#13 ·

from this perspective:

-I'm patriotic about Mexamerica which is the nation I live in, the Empty Quarter, and the Breadbasket
-I like Ecotopia but I don't respect it
-I respect Dixie and The Foundry without liking them
-New England I want nothing to do with
My off-the-cuff prejudices:

Mexamerica - Exotic peoples
Empty Quarter - Stay away from mt space
Breadbasket - I'm glad if hungry
Ectopia - Idealists
Foundry - Someone has to do work
The Islands - Too close to drowning
Dixie - Dangerous traditions
Quebec - A cold culture
New England - Glad for a home base

Change my mind if you please ...

#15 ·
It s not for me.

Patriotism for me seems to be a one way street. I just cannot understand the “love” that one is supposed to feel fore the country you were born in. Its just a country!

It s a conservative republican manifestation to bring all those like minded people together with a Hollywood slogan.

To me it is just the face of the military institutions as I hear patriotism mentioned in every NSA, FBI, spy films, war films, terrorist films, politicians and anything and anyone that involves extreme power and control

I very rarely hear the word in the UK and it is only used by politicians to stir up the right wing racist hatred of those who are different to the white majority

#20 ·
esfp

It's hard to feel "patriotic" when your country embarrasses the heck out of you by electing a....

never mind.

"If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all."

(shuts mouth, says nothing)

#25 ·
I don't really know what to call what I have. I have a love for the United States, though not necessarily the government or the actual people. More like a love for the land and the mythical America, the ideals of what 'being American' are supposed to be- land of all peoples, land of rugged individuality, land of personal responsibility/freedom.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
MOTHER OF EXILES. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

America has NEVER been this, it will NEVER be this. But I just can't seem to shake the sincere dedication to these ideals, even though I know the feeling I get about it is likely irrational. With liberty and justice for all, you know it.

Yes, I would take up arms to fight against genocide, tyranny, and other such abuse. Against all enemies, foreign and domestic. Actually, I did.

#28 ·
I questioned it more when I was younger, but the older I get the more I appreciate being an American. My family came from Jamaica originally and life is a lot better here with far more opportunities. It's far from a perfect country, but it has high ideals and a quality of life many take for granted.

#29 ·
Hell yes! :proud:

#30 ·
Honestly, I never understood patriotism on a personal level; I do know a girl who might have been a patriot; she said she's a proud part of this country and was rather defensive regarding its traditions which led to many of my classmates despising her. However, although I could not identify with her values fully, I did respect it and - if you looked past that pride - she was actually pretty nice & it did not affect her; she tended to respect others while being outspoken concering her opinion.

So, it does not have to be a bad thing as it is thought of by many; though other factors have to be taken into consideration regarding this point (which I will not name right now; I am way too tired).

To me, it'd feel awkward to be proud of a nation made of a bunch of people with various personalities & values; I may be proud of certain people who (coincidentally) live/lived in my home country; we, as the people, have come far - but I am well aware of the fact that it still is deeply flawed despite being able to recognize its (compared to other nations) relatively good qualities.

#31 ·
ENTP, Yes. I served in the U.S. Navy. I have at least one direct ancestor who fought in the American Revolution, The American Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and I served in Operation Desert Storm.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government."
-Edward Abbey

#34 ·
Absolutely, that's why one has to not be blind to the notion that one's nation/government is not always right.

Patriotism is taking a measure of pride in one's country, and a willingness to defend it against all enemies, both foreign, and domestic. A true patriot remains vigilant and questions their national government if they feel things aren't being done right.

Nationalism is blind unquestioning allegiance to one's country and defending it even when it is clearly not doing the right thing.

#33 ·
Occasionally I get patriotic about the founding principles of the US; even if the execution of these principles is less than ideal. The thing that really ruins it for me is the shortsightedness, partisanship, and general indifference to protecting those principles on the part of the population. Don’t get me wrong if US was actually faced with an external existential threat than sure, but let’s face it a scenario Red Dawn is never going to happen.
Although I also get ‘patriotic’ about other countries, so pointless romanticism about what could have been would probably be a better description.

#35 ·
I think of myself of a resident of my city (which I am incredibly proud of) far more than I ever think of myself as an American. National pride means very little to me.

#36 ·
People who say that US is a good country make me feel like

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that I'm a damn anarchist and I hope countries dissapear (as well as the military) and we live in a world without borders. Patriotism is an illness that should be eradicated. Let me explain:
  • Basically we live in a world were there are selfish tribes, when we should all seek the universal conciusness.
  • Patriotism is the loss of individuality and the human tendency of the dominion of one tribe over the others
  • If I am a patriot, I am giving moral priority to a group of unknown men and women on a wider set of strangers (humanity).

#37 ·
Trust me, when you live in the middle of constant rampant corruption, overall inefficient system, high poverty around the cities and small towns, and just the fact that whe are worse than our northern neighbours or the european friends, is hard to be patriotic at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.