Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paul Krugman is usually typed as an INTJ but acts remarkably like an INTP. In his blog he usually tries to explain the logic behind economics (Ti) and often uses many historical examples in doing so (Ne). However he also has a lot of scathing criticism that can only be Fi and never seems to use Fe.

My guess is because academia is a very INTP-ish field he wants to seen as such. That's why for instance he often prides himself on changing his opinions when being wrong. Also somehwere he said he took as many history classes as he did economics which accounts for his examples.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Seems pretty clearly INTP to me. Nothing about him jumps out as being especially Ni-dom or Te for that matter.

Niall Ferguson on the other hand might very well be an xNTJ of some sort.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems pretty clearly INTP to me. Nothing about him jumps out as being especially Ni-dom or Te for that matter.
I think most of it is his critiques of people and "incivility" which is seen as Fi. And I'm not sure if the analogy works but I guess you can say his trust in Keynes's model being proven by recent circumstances (Ni-Te) can also be an example?

Then again you can also argue he's a "hardened" INTP whose not afraid of personal conflict.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Seems pretty clearly ISFJ to me. Definitely an introvert who relies principally on Si and Ti, but Ne shows up principally manifesting through / implicit in stuff he already has all manner of Si with and not on its own -- that means principally economics, and he entered politics proper only slowly / at need during the leadup to the Iraq War, and still isn't comfortable speculating about / pronouncing upon "pure politics" without a polisci source to quote. His public persona is almost defined by his fluent and aggressive Fe moralizing, guided heavily by his longstanding loyalties and convictions -- his perspective is mostly the product of the New-Deal liberalism with which he grew up (and has ironically largely vanished) and the Neo-Keynesianism current when he was in grad school (ironically also banished from the most popular journals). (His program can be summed up as "use what I was taught thirty years ago to recreate the income distribution of fifty years ago.") And if you read his blog, his Fe-ish musings about the normative issues that show up in his work are surprisingly nuanced and subtle for an economist. (All these things contrast sharply with the career paths / specific positions / attitudes-towards-feeling-in-public of genuine NT pundits.)

Plus if you follow his work over time, his style of thought is incredibly Dialectical-Algorithmic -- even the way he hashes things out in his blog before writing them up for his columns suggests a D-A style of thought, way more than H-P.

I could see INTP from a distance, but honestly I'd suggest that he's just what a clever ISFJ looks like.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sympathize with notion of a clever ISFJ (I've had a professor who I'm pretty sure was that) but really doubt that Krugman is one.

For one, functions generally work the same way academically, and Ne-Ti (and especially with Fe) has a tendency to go with intellectual trends. One thing you'll notice is that Ni-Te types tend to have more "unconventional" interpretations (like Keynes "turning economics on its head" by making demand determine supply) while Ne-Ti is more conventional and uses established doctrines to find something else out (like Einstein synthesizing different theories to make special relativity).

Krugman has mostly stayed a Keynesian despite the drastic trend changes in economics which as you mentioned (ironically) became an unconventional position among economists.

To the point about Fe, Krugman seems much too comfortable to criticize people or invalidate arguments altogether as "not debating in earnest" to be an Fe-user. This can be uncomfortable for INTPs and especially for ISFJs. Likewise it's possible to be an INTJ and care about people in general (like Karl Marx) and especially when your self-image is of an academic who works to benefit people.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Explaining economics in layman's terms on his blog for a wide audience doesn't point to any particular function. How are historical examples Ne? That would imply Si if anything.

I'd say he's an INTJ. He shows no signs of Fe (he's regularly called "rude" and "awkward") and his devotion to Keynesian economis (which goes beyond the usual economist) could imply both Ni and/or Fi. His style of argumentation is very organized, as with most Te users.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that was more or less my point, Krugman is likely an INTJ whose Fi values/persona are that of an academic INTP.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Explaining economics in layman's terms on his blog for a wide audience doesn't point to any particular function. How are historical examples Ne? That would imply Si if anything.

I'd say he's an INTJ. He shows no signs of Fe (he's regularly called "rude" and "awkward") and his devotion to Keynesian economis (which goes beyond the usual economist) could imply both Ni and/or Fi. His style of argumentation is very organized, as with most Te users.
Pointing out historical examples is not associated with any particular cognitive function I agree but Ne is a lot better at finding analogies between seemingly disparate concepts and translating highly technical/academic concepts into general analogies to explain their ideas.

I think INTJs have a generally tougher time communicating their ideas in an easily understandable way compared to INTPs but sometimes they use this to their benefit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts