Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I hope I haven't done that lol, I used to test as INTP but I don't feel I've changed in the least.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yeah its true. Usually it is because the person is going through a stressful situation which leads them to have an identity crisis; they end up using the descriptions of the type as their ideal and concience, which further alienates them from their real self. Usually this is temporary and the person snaps out of their acting. I have done this myself.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
I tend to let you people decide what I am.

You always come up with fascinating answers.

"You're not INFP, Mike."
"You sure you're not ENFP, Mike?"
"You're not ISFP today, Mike."
"ISFJ, Mike, ISFJ."
"You're not Type 5, Mike."
"Mike, you're not Type 4."
"Type 9, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, Mike."
"Mike, you're -this- personality."
"Mike, are there polar bears roaming the streets in Norway?"
"I don't care if you're on 50mg Valium, Mike. You're angry."
"Mike, I thought Norway was in the U.S."
"Isn't Norway, the capital of Sweden, Mike?"
"I thought you were American, Mike."
"Mike, I've read a couple of your posts, and I've decided, you're the King of Spain."

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Mike, I think the first 3, middle 3 and last 3 comments are correct.

I wonder if I'm guilty of acting my type. I don't really know.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Yeah, I thought I was istp, but I think it was because I was acting my enneagram type. It effectively made my Fi stats seem below my radar. Yep, now I act like an isfp. I...think. I'm not, like, in love with all things "beautiful" or anything (my enneagram talking again) lol

Then again, there's always hindsight bias.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yes, i tend to do this. When i'm uncertain of my type, and read the descriptions i act out the type almost believing that i am the type although the tests don't reflect it. For example, i can seem strongly T but i have a sneaky feeling that despite my protests :laughing:, i am and will forever be an F.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
This is chiefly a psychology forum about personality, and most fora develop their own social atmosphere, so this one just happens to be filled with MBTI affectations - some of which are true to nature.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Well, I mis-typed myself as INTP. I'm really just a sort of damaged ENTP. Have I started to act more ENTP on the boards? Definitely. However, the INTP circuitry is there for me, and even most people on the boards in the INTP form thought I was ENTP before I made the switch. I've merely let myself off the leash.

Another interesting thing. Is that I lived for like a year thinking I was INTJ!! So... I definitely wasn't behaving very INTJ for that year.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I think I act not like my type much at all. I think I act stubbornly against type, like I have something to prove. :crazy:

Reactions: Neon Knight

·
Registered
5,517 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
It makes us interesting, that's for damn sure. Like a car accident or something. People just gotta slow down to gawk at the mess. :crazy:
*reassuringly* I don't think you're interesting at all.

Reactions: penchant

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
It makes us interesting, that's for damn sure. Like a car accident or something. People just gotta slow down to gawk at the mess. :crazy:
I know what you mean I feel their eyes on me all the time :shocked:

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
It seems like many people here act their type.
It's even funnier when people change type, their type acting changes too.

Did you notice?
I actually noticed that with myself. I would think the point of typology would be that first you learn to accept what you have, but then to see that how you percieve and judge is only one filter, and therefore, development involving any such system would involve learning to break away from what you've attached to. The objective for me is not to reject what I am, but to learn more about other styles and ways of approaching the world. And not being afraid to break out from my own box. So in effect, instead of acting my type, I seek to go beyond it. Let go of it.

When I see people conforming to stereotype, or telling people they aren't a certain type because they don't conform to the mainstream, or using typology incredibly rigidly, I feel a little sad. I am encouraged when I see (healthy) overly talkative infps, or over friendly intx's. I would think types are simply ways of thinking and perceiving (with many different arrangements), that manifest in many different ways of acting or being, rather than just ONE way of acting or being. When I see people embracing other perspectives and ways of being, I see maturity and desire for self growth.

Any information is a filter. Give a person a system, and that is the filter they use to interpret reality. It's one of the most pervasive tools you can give a person. I think all of us in our pursuit of self knowledge via mbti or Jung, cannot help but be changed to varying degrees unconsciously. So in many ways we aren't even consciously aware of what has shifted internally.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I actually noticed that with myself. I would think the point of typology would be that first you learn to accept what you have, but then to see that how you percieve and judge is only one filter, and therefore, development involving any such system would involve learning to break away from what you've attached to. The objective for me is not to reject what I am, but to learn more about other styles and ways of approaching the world. And not being afraid to break out from my own box. So in effect, instead of acting my type, I seek to go beyond it. Let go of it.

When I see people conforming to stereotype, or telling people they aren't a certain type because they don't conform to the mainstream, or using typology incredibly rigidly, I feel a little sad. I am encouraged when I see (healthy) overly talkative infps, or over friendly intx's. I would think types are simply ways of thinking and perceiving (with many different arrangements), that manifest in many different ways of acting or being, rather than just ONE way of acting or being. When I see people embracing other perspectives and ways of being, I see maturity and desire for self growth.

Any information is a filter. Give a person a system, and that is the filter they use to interpret reality. It's one of the most pervasive tools you can give a person. I think all of us in our pursuit of self knowledge via mbti or Jung, cannot help but be changed to varying degrees unconsciously. So in many ways we aren't even consciously aware of what has shifted internally.
well said.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I don't think so. I've always just tried to be myself. And as an individual, I don't fit perfectly into the ISTP box. I've learned that I don't need to fit in the box perfectly, and in fact, I don't want to. That means not playing a pre-determined role, just because I have four letters under my name.

Reactions: Neon Knight

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I may appear to be guilty of this but feel it's justified - 90% of my posting is in the specific type I'm considering today's subforum and being a genuine social retard I'm insecure and desperately trying not to make people hate me. Being my incredibly blunt self while "being" an INFP would not have gone down well (in my automatically assumed correct guess of the reaction of people I don't know :blushed:), and as a bonus forcing myself to be nice can't have done any harm to my development. Now if someone could give me a pause button in real life maybe I could transfer the niceness and get some real friends :crazy:

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
It seems like many people here act their type.
It's even funnier when people change type, their type acting changes too.

Did you notice?
It's been like that all the time...

Reactions: SuperunknownVortex
1 - 20 of 23 Posts