Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A holon (Greek: ὅλον, holon neuter form of ὅλος, holos "whole") is something that is simultaneously a whole and a part.
In the same breath, I get callers telling me how shitty their counsellor is (all the time), and how they feel that the person that's supposed to help them is just watching the clock. Clients may be going through trauma, but they're not stupid either. The sensation of being swept under the rug, being insignificant, and having that other party collect a pay cheque, really reduces their faith in the system. After feeling rejected from that last source they reached out to, they fully give up on themselves.
In trying to understand fi more, i've come to see that one thing that distinguishes it, is considering things and people as defining entities even within larger entities. Perhaps it can't be attributed to fi at all, but it's something i've observed. The parts are just as important as wholes, and are even wholes in themselves.

Regarding people, I can see systems and connections, but the individual is never lost within the system. I can't think of people in terms of collectives without considering individual points. Every time I meet someone new, I see them as a definable entity. I am hesitant to apply any generic or baseline approach, because I notice the very subtle nuances about people (and these nuances themselves are definable entities in themselves). I need to observe and interact with somebody or some thing, for a very very long time to begin understanding how to deal with this person as an individual. To really understand this person as an individual. I can pick up almost immediately though on many things about a person or other thing. I just prefer to understand and refine something much more deeply and specifically, which sometimes takes time and focus.

Fi-doms seem to generally despise and fundamentally oppose dehumanisation and devaluation of specific entities within a broader context, and the ways in which that can occur ( people being lost in a social or education system, people being lost in a culture or regiment, individuals being lost in a collective, not considering the equally important parts of the whole).

Individuals become more significant than statistics. The more definable an entity they become (or I see them as being) the more human they seem to me. I also struggle to refer to collective groups because I acknowledge how separate things are, even though they may well be interdependent. people never seem to be lost in groups to me, I always see individuals. I prefer not to speak for other people too, or make too many stringent generalisations. Seeing distinguishable elements means I can't lump things together. Lumping things together would involve blurring defined parts or holons. I can recognise wholes, but sometimes blurring parts doesn't seem the correct approach to me, because i've refined entities.

I guess a vivid example I might use is, some people might ask why wild animal veterinarians save individual animals, when they argue it's not going to matter in the long run. Why does it matter to save one individual wild animal? my answer might be that I wouldn't base an individuals value by comparing it to anything else. It would simply have inherent value as an individual entity. Individual things have significance, because it is in this individuality where significance is 'judged'.

I am driven to understand things very specifically and define them as particular entities in a very refined manner. I view things much like holons and can see the subtleties in what makes things what they are and what distinguishes them from other things. And more specifically can see the significance in certain parts. I can very easily (although I prefer to have a lot of time to do this) see what makes a person different from other people. What makes them who they are. It's easy for me to see individuals as being significant. I suppose si can help here in distinguishing even more between things. And also seeing similarities.

I think some of this probably contributes to infp (what seems like) picky-ness, high standards and other related things. What i'm talking about probably goes beyond just Fi. Ne helps with subtleties amongst other things, si and te can be employed by fi for "distinguishing" as well.

Any comments? I was just thinking out loud here.. :confused:

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
I think it's part of the human condition to be an individual, yet part of a whole. To be fully individual, yet function within a community retaining everything that makes us an individual.

Nice thought, I will be pondering this further....

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's part of the human condition to be an individual, yet part of a whole. To be fully individual, yet function within a community retaining everything that makes us an individual.

Nice thought, I will be pondering this further....
Thanks Ref :laughing:

Something about referring to individuality always connects to humanity or being human or not losing sense of what it means to be human, in some form or another. I noticed I referred to 'dehumanisation' and seeing people more as human beings as I got to know them more, and you referred to the human condition. I suppose they are interconnected concepts. It's curious how talking about one seems to lead to talking about the other.

It reminds me of that excerpt from fightclub

WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you
read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't
you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly
can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so
impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who
claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think
everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should
want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex.
Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a
fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will
become a statistic
. You have been warned...... Tyler
'claiming humanity' seems be interchangable with 'claiming individuality' here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts