Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean, I don't want to attack every single person who falls on the autistic spectrum out there; I'm pretty sure many of you do your best to act like decent people, but what I described on my thread title happens far too often IMO and I can't ignore it anymore.

Why's it even a thing? Sometimes it seems like this sort of person could proudly state "I'm happy to say I am an unapproachable autistic asshole".

As a person who is non-neurotypical herself, I do my best not to let my psychological conditions interfere with my social interactions and I can't understand this phenomenon at all.

·
Registered
ISFP
2,571 Posts
I haven’t met many autistic people, but I’ve met some individuals that are challenged or experience difficulties in social situations. Other people would even treat them differently.

These individuals I speak of are fully capable of what you were saying, if given the opportunity. They take advantage of little things too.

I suppose the only thing I’m saying here is, I believe the op. There’s no reason to assume anyone is so innocent.

Reactions: Aiwass

·
Registered
INFJ
5,848 Posts
I think a lot of it is rooted is poor parenting and/or the way the psychology community treats autism.
I've often seen 2 kinds of parents of autistic children:
1. the kind that coddle their children, treat them with constant kid gloves, make them feel so delicate or even like a special snowflake who is better than others because they're different. or
2. the kind of parent with a woe is me attitude that make it all about themselves.

I think the psychiatric industry is often to blame with it's, "Oh just take a pill and it will help with the symptoms" attitude. The thing about autism that it requires a great deal of training to teach a child how to behave in ways that are socially acceptable, because it's not really obvious.

There are a lot of unspoken social rules because social norms are arbitrary. People do particular things simply because other people do them, not because they make sense. I can understand the struggles of anyone non neurotypical who struggle to follow social norms. However, when someone is like "I'm autistic, therefore I get a free pass," attitude, it just makes it harder for those who are sincerely struggling, because now neurotypicals might think, "oh they're just making excuses."

·
Administrator
INTP
11,805 Posts
There's apparently a group of internet trolls claiming to be autistic for fun or to get close to others who do actually have autism and subtly convince them how inferior they should feel about themselves.

Autistic people are "decent people" at the same rate as the rest of society, if not more so, since they never have the privilege of everything they need handed to them on a plate.

People really should know what they're talking about before commenting on it.

·
Registered
INFJ
5,848 Posts
Yeah a lot of fake "autistics" too. That really boils my blood!

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
There's apparently a group of internet trolls claiming to be autistic for fun or to get close to others who do actually have autism and subtly convince them how inferior they should feel about themselves.

Autistic people are "decent people" at the same rate as the rest of society, if not more so, since they never have the privilege of everything they need handed to them on a plate.

People really should know what they're talking about before commenting on it.
I’ve seen people proudly implying being autistic makes them better than neurotypicals, smarter or more likely to be geniuses. Like it or not, this happens a lot on the internet, and it is annoying.

Of course, I have no idea if the people I have mentioned are “real” autists or not. Who am I to know? All I know is that my experience with self-identified Aspergers people on the internet has been very unpleasant.

Reactions: dulcinea

·
Administrator
INTP
11,805 Posts
I’ve seen people proudly implying being autistic makes them better than neurotypicals, smarter or more likely to be geniuses. Like it or not, this happens a lot on the internet.
I do believe savant skills are higher for autistic people in comparison to neurotypical people, I might be wrong, but then again, they might be right.
I'm not so sure it really matters.
If someone has a medical condition which puts them at a distinct disadvantage in some parts of life and they believe (rightly or wrongly), that they have an advantage in another part of life, does it really matter?
Of course not. Not to me, anyway. Because I have advantages which they don't have. And not because I deserved them or earned them, either. Only because they were handed to me on a plate. Perhaps some people need to feel like they have an advantage sometimes, even those who don't really have one.
Is it really a big deal for you, if that's what they think?

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do believe savant skills are higher for autistic people in comparison to neurotypical people, I might be wrong, but then again, they might be right.
I'm not so sure it really matters.
If someone has a medical condition which puts them at a distinct disadvantage in some parts of life and they believe (rightly or wrongly), that they have an advantage in another part of life, does it really matter?
Of course not. Not to me, anyway. Because I have advantages which they don't have. And not because I deserved them or earned them, either. Only because they were handed to me on a plate. Perhaps some people need to feel like they have an advantage sometimes, even those who don't really have one.
Is it really a big deal for you, if that's what they think?
I think it is arrogant. It is very convenient to see one part of society as the “normies” with “common people skills” and see yourself as someone with a rarer, more valuable or sophisticated set of skills.

At least this is the implicit message they send me, and how I interpret this behavior. Again, annoying.

Look, I have Bipolar and I never glamorized my mental condition. I don’t see it as a blessing or anything that makes me a creative genius. If I could press a button and turn into a neurotypical right now, I would. I don’t understand why others have to pat themselves on the back and tell themselves they’re oh so great because they’re autistic or whatever. That’s all.

·
Administrator
INTP
11,805 Posts
I think it is arrogant. It is very convenient to see one part of society as the “normies” with “common people skills” and see yourself as someone with a rarer, more valuable or sophisticated set of skills.

At least this is the implicit message they send me, and how I interpret this behavior. Again, annoying.

Look, I have Bipolar and I never glamorized my mental condition. I don’t see it as a blessing or anything that makes me a creative genius. If I could press a button and turn into a neurotypical right now, I would. I don’t understand why others have to pat themselves on the back and tell themselves they’re oh so great because they’re autistic or whatever. That’s all.
I'm neither autistic or bipolar. I don't think that makes me better, only luckier.
If by chance you did believe being bipolar gave you certain advantages, I wouldn't be in a position to judge that. I certainly wouldn't want to push you back down into a shitty place if you'd found a way to put a positive spin on your situation, which in turn made you feel better about yourself and your circumstances.

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm neither autistic or bipolar. I don't think that makes me better, only luckier.
If by chance you did believe being bipolar gave you certain advantages, I wouldn't be in a position to judge that. I certainly wouldn't want to push you back down into a shitty place if you'd found a way to put a positive spin on your situation, which in turn made you feel better about yourself and your circumstances.
Maybe your POV is the right one and more compassionate. Who knows.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
521 Posts
Just simply sharing my experience here, this is all. I have no issues with autistic/Aspergers people. My ex told me he had Aspergers and he was a straight up asshole to me and I didn't find out until later on that it was just a lie, he said that just so he could abuse me and control me. If people are doing this and treating people like this and excusing it, I think it's awful. Nobody should be treated that way. Just saying. If you are an asshole, own up to it, stead of giving excuses to why you are behaving like the way you are. I'm an honest person and if I know I'm being an asshole, I will say that I was acting like one. People tend to make excuses a lot of time and see how far they go and see with what they can get away with.

·
Registered
ENTP 8w7 sx/so
949 Posts
I have to say I get annoyed at the "on the spectrum" comments. My dad has Asperger's and it was a huge deal growing up, and is better now that we all adjusted to it and he got counseling, and is in no way as huge as it would have been if he had severe Autism, but when you hear what people think "on the spectrum" or something like that means vs. what the experience of a parent or family member with it (and not understanding really what having it means or looks like), it is pretty ridiculous.

On the same hand, I am dyslexic, and it takes a lot of effort to overcome that in day to day (I'm in the medical profession so even getting through school and then ingraining it into myself to double and triple check names and numbers and equations at every step for patient safety was a huge deal). When ever I am checking out of a supermarket and someone does something wrong and needs an override or types a number in error, they are inevitably like, "Sorry - I'm dyslexic" or "Dyslexic moment". No, thanks, you are just an idiot.

Not gonna say anything to these people, and everyone is welcome to their own lived experiences, but also, f*ck off a little bit.

384 Posts
The way evilness works is around what if can do AND get away with it. The second part will include any lie at all from autism, to having been raped as a kid, to being diagnosed with cancer, and so on. Basically anything that JUSTIFIES socially.

An example of psychopathy could be this.
Peter's Interrogation Proves Too Much For Distinction Student | Dragons’ Den

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
That’s rather ironic, considering Autism is characterised by theIr lack of awareness in regards to their effect on others. An Autistic person wouldn’t realise they were and arse!

·
Registered
INFJ
5,848 Posts
^ yeah true. Being a complete jerk to people, being aware of it, but not caring is more a trait of anti-social personality disorder rather than autism/asperger's

384 Posts
^ yeah true. Being a complete jerk to people, being aware of it, but not caring is more a trait of anti-social personality disorder rather than autism/asperger's
being AWARE of it is the key factor.

Youre really flipping aceing this psychology stuff arent you. Well done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts