Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There must be a massive amount of people mistyped as INTP. I have noticed people saying things, which are very non-INTP. My guess is they are INTJ, ENTP, ENFP, NFs who think they are logical. If you insult me for posting this, chances are you aren't INTP, because INTPs aren't so interesting in proving people wrong, but instead trying to be correct, observe your own defensive mental behaviour to this post, and take heed to unveil the non-INTPness of yourself.

·
Registered
446 Posts
So wait..
A generalization of modes of cognitive behaviour can be considered inaccurate to define a person solely based on the fact that they seem dissimilar to how another person views the generalization?
More accurately, how do you have an exact fix on what is INTP and what is not? You then have to go into the fact that you only see a facet or a few facets of a person, and not the whole.
I'm not saying you are wrong or right, I am saying how can you statement be anymore valid than others? How can you be certain of the statement because oddly enough you seem confident of what you say which to some is not a very INTP thing.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So wait..
A generalization of modes of cognitive behaviour can be considered inaccurate to define a person solely based on the fact that they seem dissimilar to how another person views the generalization?
More accurately, how do you have an exact fix on what is INTP and what is not? You then have to go into the fact that you only see a facet or a few facets of a person, and not the whole.
I'm not saying you are wrong or right, I am saying how can you statement be anymore valid than others? How can you be certain of the statement because oddly enough you seem confident of what you say which to some is not a very INTP thing.
How can you not be sure that I am not certain if you aren't who I say you nipples.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So wait..
But seriously.
INTPs have a specific cognitive stack, which defines them as being INTP. I am sure you have observed these stacks functioning in different ways, and also observed other stacks, functioning in completely different ways.

·
Registered
446 Posts
But seriously.
INTPs have a specific cognitive stack, which defines them as being INTP. I am sure you have observed these stacks functioning in different ways, and also observed other stacks, functioning in completely different ways.
Yes, I am also saying point of reference leads to determining an exact figuratively impossible. Because they won't manifest themselves in the same way or intensity at the same times, or in similar times. Not always anyway.
So observable actions make it seem possible that a multitude are incorrectly typed but not certain.

I was questioning the - what appears to be anyway- certainty that the post was implying.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
*does the robot*

I'll really need more specific examples from you (OP) in order to prove you wrong, not because I need to prove you wrong... just because it's fun and I have plenty of things to do, but meh, these little sports entertain me more.

'sides I have a theory that no real intp would publicly identify themselves... instead they quietly troll the universe masquerading as other types and posting poetry about being lactose intolerant but their unrequited love of cheese

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
*does the robot*

I'll really need more specific examples from you (OP) in order to prove you wrong, not because I need to prove you wrong... just because it's fun and I have plenty of things to do, but meh, these little sports entertain me more.

'sides I have a theory that no real intp would publicly identify themselves... instead they quietly troll the universe masquerading as other types and posting poetry about being lactose intolerant but their unrequited love of cheese
Or perhaps ENTPs who think they are INTP are trolling, only to be trolling themselves.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I am also saying point of reference leads to determining an exact figuratively impossible. Because they won't manifest themselves in the same way or intensity at the same times, or in similar times. Not always anyway.
So observable actions make it seem possible that a multitude are incorrectly typed but not certain.

I was questioning the - what appears to be anyway- certainty that the post was implying.
Yes. Just as I can assert life exists beyond earth, due to perceived odds. I can assert my belief in a shit ton of people on here being mistaken about being INTP. Nothing is certain, or atleast, I believe that to be the case.

·
Registered
227 Posts
There must be a massive amount of people mistyped as INTP. I have noticed people saying things, which are very non-INTP. My guess is they are INTJ, ENTP, ENFP, NFs who think they are logical. If you insult me for posting this, chances are you aren't INTP, because INTPs aren't so interesting in proving people wrong, but instead trying to be correct, observe your own defensive mental behaviour to this post, and take heed to unveil the non-INTPness of yourself.
Can you give any examples?

I've considered the possibility that I'm an exceptionally socially retarded ENTP. Cognitive function tests often rate my functions in the following order:

Ti, Ne, Fe, Si

And because the difference between Fe and Si is greater than the difference between Ti and Ne, they tell me I'm most likely an ENTP. A lot of the time I feel like that function order is correct, even though that shouldn't be possible according to traditional MBTI theory. I was bullied and excluded a lot all through elementary school, mostly because of my ADHD-like tendencies - but I also had selective mutism and social anxiety. I think I eventually learned to keep my mouth shut and control my impulses all the time, instead of just "selectively", probably far more than necessary, in order to not continue being hated by pretty much everyone. Could this correspond to suppressing Ne and falling back on Ti?

In any case, I feel and act like an INTP. I can relate to INTPs more than ENTPs. I get pretty annoyed by that ENTP propensity for blurting out absolutely anything that crosses their minds with no consideration of the social disharmony that will follow.

I still think I'm probably an INTP. Nonetheless, I'm open to considering other possibilities.

Ahem, anyway, I need to break the habit of turning any thread into an excuse to talk about myself.

Examples please?

·
Registered
INTP
1,752 Posts
No doubt, there's mistyped people on PerC. MBTI is an imperfect thing and everyone has their own interpretations. It's not like it matters a whole lot on an internet forum anyway. There's a lot of diversity within each type since there is no way human personality is so simple that everyone HAS TO be one of 16 types. It's not like all INTPs have to be clones of each other P: Some have more developed functions than others and some have really underdeveloped functions compared to others. A lot of people here are also young and on a path of learning about themselves. I see no harm in them exploring possibilities of them being one type as oppose to another and they will eventually change their profile if they realize they are actually something else.

But whenever this stuff is brought up, I get curious of the specific quotations and people being accused of a mistyping. What are your examples? Who are the non-INTPs posing as INTPs and what are your reasons for believing so?

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No doubt, there's mistyped people on PerC. MBTI is an imperfect thing and everyone has their own interpretations. It's not like it matters a whole lot on an internet forum anyway. There's a lot of diversity within each type since there is no way human personality is so simple that everyone HAS TO be one of 16 types. It's not like all INTPs have to be clones of each other P: Some have more developed functions than others and some have really underdeveloped functions compared to others. A lot of people here are also young and on a path of learning about themselves. I see no harm in them exploring possibilities of them being one type as oppose to another and they will eventually change their profile if they realize they are actually something else.

But whenever this stuff is brought up, I get curious of the specific quotations and people being accused of a mistyping. What are your examples? Who are the non-INTPs posing as INTPs and what are your reasons for believing so?
*clap* Good Post
I didn't catalog the specific instances, I just remember reading many posts of "intps" describing themselves, who later changed to intj, and I could recognize they weren't intp before checking their proclaimed mbti change. This gave me more confidence about my suspicions of people not yet re identified as not intp. And I have seen alot of them, who are apparently wrong! I could be wrong about many of them, and they could actually be INTP. But due to rough law of averages, I believe there must be a TON of ppl who think they are intp, who are infact mostly intj, entp, enfp, etc...

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
There must be a massive amount of people mistyped as INTP. I have noticed people saying things, which are very non-INTP. My guess is they are INTJ
This seems statistically unlikely, given how INTP percentages are consistently higher than INTJ population percentages unless you are using Kiersey derivative statistics or the like, where INTPs are so rare that even INFJs become relatively numerous (several times over) in the face of all other data. Or worse, wikipedia.

Although I am not doubting the occurrence of mistypes.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can you give any examples?

I've considered the possibility that I'm an exceptionally socially retarded ENTP. Cognitive function tests often rate my functions in the following order:

Ti, Ne, Fe, Si

And because the difference between Fe and Si is greater than the difference between Ti and Ne, they tell me I'm most likely an ENTP. A lot of the time I feel like that function order is correct, even though that shouldn't be possible according to traditional MBTI theory. I was bullied and excluded a lot all through elementary school, mostly because of my ADHD-like tendencies - but I also had selective mutism and social anxiety. I think I eventually learned to keep my mouth shut and control my impulses all the time, instead of just "selectively", probably far more than necessary, in order to not continue being hated by pretty much everyone. Could this correspond to suppressing Ne and falling back on Ti?

In any case, I feel and act like an INTP. I can relate to INTPs more than ENTPs. I get pretty annoyed by that ENTP propensity for blurting out absolutely anything that crosses their minds with no consideration of the social disharmony that will follow.

I still think I'm probably an INTP. Nonetheless, I'm open to considering other possibilities.

Ahem, anyway, I need to break the habit of turning any thread into an excuse to talk about myself.

Examples please?
That is hard to say. Do you process ALL information and ideas that cross your path, or are you mostly content to just see more and more new perspectives and wacky ideas?

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This seems statistically unlikely, given how INTP percentages are consistently higher than INTJ population percentages unless you are using Kiersey derivative statistics or the like, where INTPs are so rare that even INFJs become relatively numerous (several times over) in the face of all other data. Or worse, wikipedia.

Although I am not doubting the occurrence of mistypes.
It is hard to say! I do true INTPs are very rare, but I could subconsciously hold this view due to interest bias, and ego bias. But then again, I tend to be fairly objective, or at least subjectively believe I am O.O;;

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
It is hard to say! I do true INTPs are very rare, but I could subconsciously hold this view due to interest bias, and ego bias. But then again, I tend to be fairly objective, or at least subjectively believe I am O.O;;
I wouldn't put my faith in any of the statistics though.

Perhaps you are right.

I only wanted to mention them, rather than treat them as facts.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wouldn't put my faith in any of the statistics though.

Perhaps you are right.

I only wanted to mention them, rather than treat them as facts.
I agree to not put any faith in statistics, I hadn't really thought about it that way. Thank you.
hmmm
It seems like the only way to get a fairly accurate statistic would be to brain scan the shit out of an entire cities population, after fully understanding the functional-brain mbti correlation. And getting like 4 million people to have their brains read for a month, doesn't seem very likely.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts