Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that one of the ENTP traits is to get a little obsessed with new interests only to move on to a different new interest after a bit of time. I've done that a LOT in my life. I see nothing wrong with it. Why is it a crime to be whole-heartedly interested in karate one day and playing guitar a few weeks later? What's wrong with throwing yourself into your interests and what's wrong with having diverse and evolving interests?

But I've found lately that it's starting to hurt me in how other people (read: my family) take me seriously. Now it seems like every time I want to go a new direction in my life, my mother shoots me down and tells me it's "just a phase". I'm 25-years-old-- it is not for my mother to be talking about phases to me anymore. Then she starts pointing out other interests or goals I've had in my life that I've been all for and then changed my mind about. Well, part of that is that up until now I was a teenager/young-adult and part of being those things is trying new things and changing your mind in order to figure out what you really want. But another part of it is that ENTPs are just flexible in their goals and interests. I don't think I've ever had an interest that I now completely hate. I'm just not as into things as I once was. So I really don't see that as a reason to shoot down and mock new interests I develop or not support me in new goals I acquire.

Ok. Rant over.

·
Referral Princess
1,386 Posts
I'm married to an ENTP so I know exactly what you are talking about. My suggestion is to keep more of the less tangible goals to yourself, like your more complex ideas/goals... and only share what ideas/goals you have once you are more prepared to do them. For instance, once you have gathered all the data and have begun on your project - only then share it with your family. Also, try to keep an eye out for more NT friends, they will never get tired of hearing your goals, wishes and ideas! Your mother may be exhausted from hearing your ideas a lot, no offense, but you can keep them going and going and going and going... ;-) Try to give her a break and focus on other people outside of the family to share your ideas/goals with.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The day you start searching for acceptance outside yourself, the day you start clouding the secret message of the universe. You enjoy the search and mastery. Seek and destroy your need. Do not let anyone or anything else downplay the beauty that is you.

If YOU believe you are unsatisfied then develop what you need to develop. Everyone has something to say about your decision - it takes courage to believe in self unabashed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Why do you need other peoples approval before you do something. Screw what they think.

Reactions: Manofadventure

·
Banned
492 Posts
I was just going to make thread with a similar topic. I will after this. I know exactly what you mean though. People patronizing you and not taking you seriously. It fuckin sucks. I dont know why, yet, they do this. And like with you, its my family too. Except they seriously think im crazy...Im like the only one in my family that has personal hobbies haha. My mom thinks i am secretly a pedophile/mild schizophrenic/ sex addict, like my uncle. She creates these beliefs in her head because my younger siblings tell her lies about me...jokingly...I dont get why she actually believes them...like my 11 year old brother and my 16 yr old sister told her i was looking up naked skinny holocaust jews with sexual intent haahah. And she believes this shit!.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
My family treats me the same way. I do tend to have a lot of interests, and I gather new interest every week. One week I'm into psychology, sword forging, and neurology, the next week I'm into nanotechnology and Cryongenics, and the week after that I'm into musical composition, alternative forms of sustainable energy, tornado-resistant technology, and learning several different languages. My college majors change quite often as well, but it's only because I want to study everything because I'm on a quest to know "everything". So now anytime I say I want to study "X" my family just rolls their eyes. I personally think that the mastery of interdisciplinary subjects will lead those of us who have multiple obsessive interests towards creating greater scientific and social achievements for humanity.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I've got an unsupportive ISTJ mother as well, she wants me to get into the trades, or pick the job that makes the most money. She sees psych/marketing/computer tech as something unnecessary and "too complicated".

Lol.

Intuition has a fair way of leading you into the right direction without having to define things exactly. When you fall in love with something, you'll probably know.

My favorite quote BTW:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein

Insects man. Treat people like they are insects if they treat you this way. You have a gift.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The day you start searching for acceptance outside yourself, the day you start clouding the secret message of the universe. You enjoy the search and mastery. Seek and destroy your need. Do not let anyone or anything else downplay the beauty that is you.

If YOU believe you are unsatisfied then develop what you need to develop. Everyone has something to say about your decision - it takes courage to believe in self unabashed.
Hey that sounds like something I would have said ... all cryptic and stuff ... just like that

It's only appropriate that you have Bruce in your signature.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I do this, but not as much as ENFJ husband and particularly ENFJ son do. Actually it can be a pain, particularly in the case of son who likes to obsess about something new (often involving the purchase of expensive kit) and NEVER stop talking about it. He always reverts to football (soccer) fanatic after a while though.
It isn't an ENTP phenomenon as such.

Thanks for the Heinlein quote. I loved reading Heinlein as a kid. If he'd left the politics out he'd have been perfect.

·
Banned
12 Posts
I feel really sorry for your experience Devin87,

I realize how hard it may come to experience the same from immediate family too. I also realize how hard it is for ENTPs to disregard other people opinions. Especially if you principally find them to be close. I will not try to advocate telling you to forget them or leave them etc. I know you wont do that. You wont forget them. So I wont waste my breath on that.

All I can say that I deeply appreciate your spontaneous nature of changing interests on the fly. I actually find it to be very useful in the right hands (no, not your hands unfortunately). Perhaps you should stick more with other NTs. They have the ability to compensate what you lack.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts