Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually come out right in the middle of the F/T axis... usually a bit more on the F side but very close to T. Sometimes I'm too logical for the feelers and too feeling for the thinkers... anyone else run into this?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Completely, yes. :|
I am more INFP too.
I dislike being borderline F/T.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've seen so many people who struggle figuring out whether they're INFP or INTP, there should be an INXP description or something (I realise this wouldn't work very well with cognitive functions). Might have to do with the profiles exaggerating these functions. Ts are made out to be super logical and not in tune with their emotions, where Fs are all very sensitive and conflict avoidant. Black or white. I suppose this might be why the T/F axis is the one people struggle the most with - that's only based on a poll I saw on this forum though :p

While I naturally prefer using logic when it comes to decision making, I am definitely not as rational, super logical and cold as some of these descriptions make INTPs out to be. I have intense feelings as well...and because of this I identify a lot more with the 5w4 (sx/so) profile than any MBTI profile. Point being, I pretty much feel the same way you do :unsure:

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
I also have what appears to be balanced T/F functions, but I have determined my dominant function to be Ti. I use Ti , and not Te; I use Fe, not Fi. My inferior function, Fe, is developed. A lot of times, especially when dealing with others, I use Ti and Fe together and arrive at the same conclusions a feeler (using Fi and Te) would arrive at.

I think that if you determine which functions you are actually using, then your (true) type will become apparent.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Thats me also. It has good and bad sides. I tend toward F in the tests but it does not feel that way to myself.

I find it quite easy to mobilise my T whenever I need it, but strangely enough I dont always seem to be able to use F at will. Often a situation calls for more pronounced shows of empathy and feeling and I am unable to do that.
Its like much of my F is active inside while my T is more visible outside.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Thats me also. It has good and bad sides. I tend toward F in the tests but it does not feel that way to myself.

I find it quite easy to mobilise my T whenever I need it, but strangely enough I dont always seem to be able to use F at will. Often a situation calls for more pronounced shows of empathy and feeling and I am unable to do that.
Its like much of my F is active inside while my T is more visible outside.
Because your functions are Fi and Te?

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Being borderline doesn't make sense in terms of functions. How can a dominant feeler claim to be borderline thinking, when thinking is their fourth function in theory?. That said, I think dominant percievers may be more likely to have issues determining the order of their judging functions.

If you're basing the notion of "borderline" on the percentage you get on tests, it's a misguided way to go about determining your preferences, because from what i've seen, mbti via a test largely does not differentiate between the orientations of certain attitudes; and therefore being a "T" may be misleading when it comes to type, because the orientation is what makes a type. A thinker does not include both thinking orientations in their mindset, so questions addressing "thinking" attitudes that strive for common ground, may completely miss the specifics of an attitude orientation. This means that perhaps many mbti thinking questions are geared towards Te. That may mean an ixtps' preferences for thinking may appear very low at the end of the test. They may even test "f" because at least the tests may target their 4th function (fe, which many tests are geared towards in the "feeling" questions).

There are many other things to be discussed; but the most important thing to me, is that knowledge of functions slowly erodes the black/white nature of mbti, and looking at the functions themselves as individual mechanisms building up to holistic thinking styles, allows you to see the real significance of what it means to say, "I am borderline thinking/feeling". Perhaps you are a dom/aux feeler who accepts thinking mindsets because you have chosen to value them? perhaps you are a dominant perciever (infj?) stuck in dom-tert loop? perhaps you are merely describing the way you view your preferential functions interacting to form your overarching mindset? I think this is more likely than being borderline...

Just another way of looking at this.

·
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Being borderline doesn't make sense in terms of functions. How can a dominant feeler claim to be borderline thinking, when thinking is their fourth function in theory?. That said, I think dominant percievers may be more likely to have issues determining the order of their judging functions.
I don't ascribe to the function orders, personally.

If you're basing the notion of "borderline" on the percentage you get on tests, it's a misguided way to go about determining your preferences...
This is what borderline means to me: I basically have two thought processes running in my mind: the T thought process and the F thought process. That is, I think through the situation as an INTP and INFP, then decide which one to go with. This happens naturally and usually transparently. It happens reflexively. I more often pick the F line of reasoning, but both are going on at the same time.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
You may not ascribe to function orders, but I do. I can't really accept that you look at things the way an INTP and an INFP would since INFPs are dominant Fi and INTPs are dominant Ti. I do pay attention to function orders because I think they have some truth in them even though you may think that your function order deviates from the norm. That's to be expected since the function attitudes show up differently in different types.

Personally, I've always thought you to be more of an INFJ than an INFP. But it's your business to go with whatever type you think fits you best anyway.

I was thinking about this yesterday. Settling on your type becomes even more confusing when you look at the MBTI function dichotomies in a very black and white way...As in, if you're a thinker, you must be emotionless and confrontational and any sign of empathy knocks you away from being a thinker. Things like that.
And I completely agree with Nova. I really see no use in the tests' way of representing the functions as percentages past narrowing down your type. Tests are unreliable and that's about all they're good for, imo.

As for being 'F/T borderline', I definitely use Ti and I definitely use Fe. I also definitely use Ne as a dominant function. This makes me an ENTP and most definitely not an ENFP. I definitely pay attention to how I think people will react to things or how I think things will sound to people. I can be exceedingly warm with people who I open up to and am close to and I do nice things for people. I care about people even though I don't consider myself to be the best person to go to when you want advice and I most likely won't give what you want. But I much more often pay attention to how people react or what they may think than I do pay attention to their feelings.

Reactions: madhatter

·
Banned
3,624 Posts

This is what borderline means to me: I basically have two thought processes running in my mind: the T thought process and the F thought process. That is, I think through the situation as an INTP and INFP, then decide which one to go with. This happens naturally and usually transparently. It happens reflexively. I more often pick the F line of reasoning, but both are going on at the same time.
But "t" and "f" simply code for a whole type (comprised of functions), and aren't actually specific functions themselves. I struggle to see how you can cherry pick a particular letter; when it is just that- a letter- which (in relation to the three other letters) codes for a whole other type.

What does it mean to think through the situation "as an" intp? if you go by the understanding that an infp can be an intp through "choice" what holds an individual to their natural mindset in the first place? given you don't ascribe to function hierarchies (even though they are fundamental principals) there's probably no point arguing the case of the fundamental cognitive mindset differences between infps' and intps', beyond simply the t/f. So further input from me probably isn't going to be helpful.

I will say that I think humans are definately dynamic. And cognition is certainly not one sided.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts

An INTP uses Ti as a dominant function, and an INFP uses Fi as a dominant function. Someone cannot have both Ti and Fi as dominant functions. If you are INFP and using thinking to think something through, you are using Te. If you are INTP and using feeling in a situation, you are using Fe. Determine which functions you use and your type will become apparent.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
It's not surprising to see so many introverted perceivers posting in here. It makes sense that, despite having a dominant judging function, the people that prefer to lead with perception are more confused about their judging function. I wouldn't be surprised if there was actually a correlation between a strong P and a low T or F score in MBTI.

I think that having a low score for your judging function leads to one using their lesser judging function (which for I__Ps is inferior) more than might be considered typically. I personally catch myself Fe'ing all the time. When my feeling bubbles up, it's pretty much always Fe and not Fi, like an INFP would use.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Which ones do you use?

Extraverted thinking (Te): Te organizes and schedules ideas and the environment to ensure the efficient, productive pursuit of objectives. Te seeks logical explanations for actions, events, and conclusions, looking for faulty reasoning and lapses in sequence.

Extraverted feeling (Fe): Fe seeks social connections and creates harmonious interactions through polite, considerate, and appropriate behavior. Fe responds to the explicit (and implicit) wants of others, and may even create an internal conflict between the subject’s own needs and the desire to meet the needs of others.

Introverted feeling (Fi): Fi filters information based on interpretations of worth, forming judgments according to criteria that are often intangible. Fi constantly balances an internal set of values such as harmony and authenticity. Attuned to subtle distinctions, Fi innately senses what is true and what is false in a situation.

Introverted thinking (Ti): Ti seeks precision, such as the exact word to express an idea. It notices the minute distinctions that define the essence of things, then analyzes and classifies them. Ti examines all sides of an issue, looking to solve problems while minimizing effort and risk. It uses models to root out logical inconsistency.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts

Extraverted feeling (Fe): Fe seeks social connections and creates harmonious interactions through polite, considerate, and appropriate behavior. Fe responds to the explicit (and implicit) wants of others, and may even create an internal conflict between the subject’s own needs and the desire to meet the needs of others.

That's my mom to the max :frustrating:
She's either am INFJ or an ENFJ and this is what seems to be a major problem for her in life...

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Well, I have problems figuring out whether I am an ISTJ or an ISFJ. I do subscribe to the theory that ISTJs use Te/Fi as their judging functions, while ISFJs use Fe/Ti as their judging functions. But I have a hard time trying to figure out whether I use Te/Fi more often or Fe/Ti more often.

I think I use both Fe and Te in many situations. I can relate to using all four ways of judging, which leaves me feeling confused as to what my type is. I wish I could figure it out.

I do "feel" like I am half way between ISTJ and ISFJ, and the way I choose to make a decision depends on a lot of factors.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
That's my mom to the max :frustrating:
She's either am INFJ or an ENFJ and this is what seems to be a major problem for her in life...
This is a very common problem for women in general. We often strive to meet the needs of our families, often forgetting our own, and we go unappreciated.

·
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But "t" and "f" simply code for a whole type (comprised of functions), and aren't actually specific functions themselves. I struggle to see how you can cherry pick a particular letter; when it is just that- a letter- which (in relation to the three other letters) codes for a whole other type.
It's not cherry-picking... either that, or you're using a very odd definition of cherry-picking. The T/F dichotomy does have distinct characteristics. It's even on the official Myers Brigg website.

What does it mean to think through the situation "as an" intp? if you go by the understanding that an infp can be an intp through "choice" what holds an individual to their natural mindset in the first place? given you don't ascribe to function hierarchies (even though they are fundamental principals) there's probably no point arguing the case of the fundamental cognitive mindset differences between infps' and intps', beyond simply the t/f. So further input from me probably isn't going to be helpful.
If you can show me proof that the cognitive function link is valid, then I'd listen. Of course, merely stating that it's a "fundamental principle" and leaving it at that isn't very convincing to me.

Besides, it's my viewpoint that MBTI takes a "best fit" approach. Not everyone fits exactly into the description of a type, nor do they necessarily fit into the functions set forth. It's possible to have an MBTI type merely because it's the closest available to who you are.

An INTP uses Ti as a dominant function, and an INFP uses Fi as a dominant function. Someone cannot have both Ti and Fi as dominant functions. If you are INFP and using thinking to think something through, you are using Te. If you are INTP and using feeling in a situation, you are using Fe. Determine which functions you use and your type will become apparent.
Which ones do you use?

Extraverted thinking (Te): Te organizes and schedules ideas and the environment to ensure the efficient, productive pursuit of objectives. Te seeks logical explanations for actions, events, and conclusions, looking for faulty reasoning and lapses in sequence.

Introverted feeling (Fi): Fi filters information based on interpretations of worth, forming judgments according to criteria that are often intangible. Fi constantly balances an internal set of values such as harmony and authenticity. Attuned to subtle distinctions, Fi innately senses what is true and what is false in a situation.

Introverted thinking (Ti): Ti seeks precision, such as the exact word to express an idea. It notices the minute distinctions that define the essence of things, then analyzes and classifies them. Ti examines all sides of an issue, looking to solve problems while minimizing effort and risk. It uses models to root out logical inconsistency.
I use all of them, I'm unsure what's dominant though.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
It's not cherry-picking... either that, or you're using a very odd definition of cherry-picking. The T/F dichotomy does have distinct characteristics. It's even on the official Myers Brigg website.

If you can show me proof that the cognitive function link is valid, then I'd listen. Of course, merely stating that it's a "fundamental principle" and leaving it at that isn't very convincing to me.

Besides, it's my viewpoint that MBTI takes a "best fit" approach. Not everyone fits exactly into the description of a type, nor do they necessarily fit into the functions set forth. It's possible to have an MBTI merely because it's the closest available to who you are.

I use all of them, I'm unsure what's dominant though.
I only use Ti and Fe. I can't even grasp Fi. I have virtually no Te. I use Ti, and then force myself to apply it outward to get things done for the day.

Which ones do you feel most comfortable with?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I'm close to borderline, but still lean a bit towards F. The main thing is that my Fi and Ti both work in tandem. I've tried to backup every aspect of my value system with the best logical argument possible. Sure I was maybe guided into an intuitive stance by my Fi on how to treat others, but I've also put years of level-headed, objective thought into it and have only confirmed what my gut has told me all along. I mean, Ti is my mainstay function for all kinds of problem solving, save perhaps conflict resolution.

Speaking of conflict resolution, I often find myself at odds with both strong Fe or Te users. The only thing there that I think would suggest that I'm more F-oriented is that I have an easier time diffusing the situation with the Fe user over the Te user.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts