Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
We are good listeners and on top of that we are introverts. Perhaps that gvies them the confidence that we won't spill the beans.
Yep!

I have this one acquaintance who didn't have to worry about telling me not to tell their secrets to anyone... :p Because somehow I just feel that it's things that I don't want to bring up to other people

·
Registered
131 Posts
people who seem extremely arrogant to others seems to share their insecurities with me which i find kinda touching in a way.. because with everyone else they are so overconfident.
Indeed. It's the same with my ENTJ girfriend. Around others she's the boss. But with me a smart sweetheart. Just a girl with her joys and worries.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'm not sure how private the "intimate secrets" that most people share with me are to the people who share them. Most of the people who overshare to me are extroverts, and they might just be that way with everyone. Our definitions of what is and is not private are very different; I mean, almost everything is private to me because I am so introverted.

And then, I think when you're talking to another introvert as an introvert, there is always a certain level of understanding, and that changes things.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Happens a lot, sometimes I get the displeasure of hearing things I'd rather not have heard aswell.

Also, I usually keep my mouth shut (One thing aggravated me so much I had to vent about it, complete brainfailure)

Reactions: starflower

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I come off as trustworthy for some reason, and I am, but I don't know why a stranger would think that. I guess I'm very cool about everything so people just tell me what's on their minds most of the time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I get that sometimes. I wont think Im very close to somebody and then, boom, they say something that they would only say if they trusted somebody. I get knocked back a bit when this happens but it really must be our type, how we have that kind of ability to connect with people.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I guess its due to an introverted tendency of having nothing to gain from telling a secret to someone else. Its cold blooded as it is to do such a thing.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
For some strange reason, sometimes I'm able to get people that I barely know to share their intimate secrets with me.

Is this because we are such good listeners that people trust us?
I thought I wrote this message :)
the same things goes on with me lately :) and always, truely...i don't know

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Are you sure it's just you they share it with?
Why do you think they trust you enough?
Do you even care?
Will you use it against them?

I just find this all fishy, normally INFPs are too preoccupied with themselves and their own feelings to even handle someone else's.
My only suggestion is to not accept the stories unless you want to assist them. I know you guys are giving and emphatic though.. something just smells weird.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Are you sure it's just you they share it with?
Why do you think they trust you enough?
Do you even care?
Will you use it against them?

I just find this all fishy, normally INFPs are too preoccupied with themselves and their own feelings to even handle someone else's.
My only suggestion is to not accept the stories unless you want to assist them. I know you guys are giving and emphatic though.. something just smells weird.
I respect that this may be your experience, but it's not in accordance with theory that infps' don't care so it's a little hard to digest accepting this as a general trend. How can you know that someone is too occupied in their own feelings by the way?

It confuses me why you would ask most infps' if they care, because from my experience we generally do a lot of listening of others (more than sharing of our own emotions) in REAL LIFE. I know more about others' and their lives than they know about me for example. Why would we listen if we didn't care? Fi is often associated with empathy. It is also associated with acknowledging other peoples boundaries and not pushing people to help them etc. Fi being selfish is a stereotype rooted in experience dealing with unhealthy types, and not necessarily the norm.

+ Just because someone says "people share things with me" doesn't mean that person is claiming that they are the only person getting people to open up. I would think that is a given.

·
Banned
605 Posts
People do that with me a lot too. Far too many TMI situations...

A female co-worked accidentally told me something about her bowel movements once... and then was shocked and confused that she actually said it. I couldn't think of a decent response so I just told her I'm used to it by now. :mellow:

·
Registered
226 Posts
This happens to me quite a bit.
I'm not sure that I would say that I get them to tell me personal things, because I'm definitely not actively trying to get them to tell me things.
It just sort of happens.

I was actually talking with my mom yesterday about how weird it is sometimes.
Like, here I am feeling completely awkward in any given social situation that I'm thrown into, but somehow people feel comfortable enough around me to tell me such personal things? I don't really mind, because I like to be there for people and like you said, I think I'm a good listener, but still.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I respect that this may be your experience, but it's not in accordance with theory that infps' don't care so it's a little hard to digest accepting this as a general trend. How can you know that someone is too occupied in their own feelings by the way?

It confuses me why you would ask most infps' if they care, because from my experience we generally do a lot of listening of others (more than sharing of our own emotions) in REAL LIFE. I know more about others' and their lives than they know about me for example. Why would we listen if we didn't care? Fi is often associated with empathy. It is also associated with acknowledging other peoples boundaries and not pushing people to help them etc. Fi being selfish is a stereotype rooted in experience dealing with unhealthy types, and not necessarily the norm.

+ Just because someone says "people share things with me" doesn't mean that person is claiming that they are the only person getting people to open up. I would think that is a given.
I asked first.. but thanks for the info.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts