Personality Cafe banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@Pessimissing

Thank you for your example. I've also experienced self-depreciation because of perfectionism (often every single flaw seems intolerable and makes me feel worthless). But I don’t naturally brood on the causes of my failures. That rarely happens. When I have my self-loathing thoughts it often happens because my vision gets narrowed down and I blow everything out of proportion and I’ll hate anything that I produce that isn’t perfect. I overcome it by calming down and putting my experience back into context, realizing 8/10 is not 0/0. Also rethinking my philosophies (e.g if I say I'm worthless because of 8/10 then I'd indirectly devalue everyone who achieves less, which I absolutely don't want to), realizing what counts in life (this could be seen as in form of support from people e.g no one cares if I flunked my exam but they care if I'm a kind and helpful person), realizing that I have to adapt my perspectives and behaviors and look at how I can improve in the future.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Have you thought about INTJ?
Okay so this is interesting. There’s this website sociotype.com where they have an explanation for all 8 functions in each position for each type. Now I got my brother and mother to read the dominant and auxilairy function of each introverted type +ENTP + ENFP. They’ve read through it and both decided independently on INTJ for strongest resemblance (my mother also considered INTP and my brother generally saw Fi and Ti in me). And when I specifically asked them about the aux Fe in INFJ they both said they don’t see that at all in me.
I mean this is also part of my Aspergers that I have a social impairement and struggle catching up on social cues and atmosphere such as other neurotypical people. Just today I wanted to help someone by giving them advice and my brother (100% a T, my loose guess is ISTP?) told me I shouldn’t interfere, now is not the time and that sometimes I have the sensitivity/tactfulness of a hammer. Yet when I asked my family in which Hogwarts House I’d be they all agreed on Hufflepuff (so they see me as a Hufflepuff INTJ?). I care a lot about helping others and looking that everyone is happy – I’m just not very great at executing it.
And when I read through my Asperger Diagnosis it’s written that I «think objectively/factually and analytically, while social and intuitive thinking is rather foreign to» me. Also that I have a tendency for systemizing and working detail-oriented.
I think it makes sense to say that I’m prob not an INFJ – or I am one but with a very impaired Fe (so that even a T would have to tell me to be more sensitive to the social atmosphere)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Two more cents: I'd say INFJ. Read more on Ni. That would be the best way to learn more about your type.
I understand why this method could be very helpful but I struggle with knowing who I am when reading descriptions (unless I strongly resonate). I prefer other people telling me who I am. The chances for precision are higher the more people reach they same conclusion and it minimizes errors due to self-bias. And with type descriptions I run into the difficulty of relating to one half of the text but then not the other (and the difficulty to which type description to turn to? 16personalities? Sociotype? Reddit? A type blog?). In my reply to eatery125 I wrote that two family members thought I use dom Ni and aux Te (so INTJ), yet they'd sort me into Hufflepuff and when I asked who I'd be from the movie "Lord of the Rings" they said Peregrin Took (e.g «you’d be the only one who’d have to kick the bucket down and summon all orcs in Moria») which I’ve seen to be believed to be an ESFP. And I sometimes do catch myself do annoying/silly stuff just to get a reaction out of others (not very INTJ behavior right?). And it lowkey kinda bugs me that type descriptions without the functions seem kinda wishy-washy. Then it's just an assembly of qualities and behaviors which I may or may not relate to.

But the idea of being able to understand one's action and the action of others through cognitive functions just seems promising. But I know I'm being too serious with something that doesn't even have a scientific base (correct me if I'm wrong). It would be best to leave and just be who I am, and depending on who looks at me I'll be a different person. If it's about which type I am then those people I'll interact with will see for themselves as who they see me and which traits seem obvious to them. (However I'm too infatuated with this game so I'll continue searching)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sorry, for some reason I never saw this notification.
No problem, I always reply late too, so don't worry.

Fe is concerned about group harmony, Fi is concerned about the individual. That's why Fi in general feels more empathy towards the underdog. Fe can be more scared of underdogs, if they seem dangerous to the group harmony.

As an Enneagram 9 INFP I am deeply concerned about figuring out who I am in this world and what I want. At the same time I logically and emotionally value every point of view there is and because of my high empathy and the tendency of 9s to want to connect to others it's almost impossible for me to take sides.

But yea, after re-reading what you wrote I don't think that's what you are talking about, but maybe it can help you as a reference point.
I really don't know anymore if I use Fi or Fe. Though personally I'd still think Fe because I think it irritates me more if people's individuality disrupt the group harmony. But I'm not sure anymore. I just want to find the optimal solution and perhaps when someone's individuality disrupts the group harmony, as a group we should rethink why that happens, ask ourselves why we feel threatened and find a solution, adapt a new mindset, find a way to coexist, listen, talk, mediate, compromise. But it really depends on all people involved and their willingness to change. It also all depends on what you want to reach. I've already canceled certain invitations because I knew my existence would disrupt the harmony, they weren't ready to change their mindset and it was not my party so it was best if I stayed at home.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Two more cents: I'd say INFJ. Read more on Ni. That would be the best way to learn more about your type.
Another thing I wanted to add about Ni (taking up again the struggle where to look for descriptions). If I go to Sociotype.com (INTp =INTJ):

"Introverted intuition in ILIs is predominantly characterized by well developed imaginative abilities and mental wanderings. ILI often spend a great deal of time simply thinking and may spend excessive amounts of time in their mind. Most ILIs somehow manage to spend most of their time in their minds regardless of the responsibilities with which they are burdened. This mental focus can be manifest by reflecting on scenarios, on pondering bodies of information, and assorted concepts of interest. They may be prone to excessive day dreaming, in creation of intricate inner worlds or universes, or in mentally replaying elements of their own personal experience. ILIs may even have novelistic tendencies where they create intricate plots, characters, and places, though many ILIs may be generally unmotivated to display such creativity. However, ILIs are not always inclined to share their imaginative tendencies or thoughts with others."

That's just the first paragraph and it sounds very much like me and I could easily believe this to be my primary function. And also as mentioned before two family members thought Ni-Te fit best to me according to this website. However if I read up Ni on a different website e.g Personalityjunkie.com:

"What seems to be occurring is that many INJs have a highly sensitive inferior function, Extraverted Sensation (Se), which gathers copious amounts of sensory information from the outside world, including subtleties that other personality types tend to miss. Their Ni then subconsciously processes this data in order to make sense of it, like assembling pieces of a puzzle. Once finished, Ni generates an impression that seems to come out of “nowhere.” "
or
"INJs’ “thinking” or cognitive processing occurs outside of their conscious awareness. Their best thinking is typically done without thinking, at least not consciously. For INJs, “sleeping on” a problem is as sure a route to a solution as any. Because it does much of its work subconsciously, Ni can seem to have a certain magical quality about it. In fact, it is not unusual for INJs to be viewed as having some degree of psychic or prophetic abilities."

Doesn't sound like me at all. I doubt I have this ability of subconsciously taking up information and then out of nowhere reaching conclusions. I'm not sure if it's just online Ni bias of it being described as "magical" and "visionary" but I find it hard to relate to that function. I only experience something similar when I'm dreaming and creating stories and visual imagery flows effortlessly inside of me. But I've always thought that's more Ne-Si (still questioning if I really am an Ni user). Like being able to look at a stains/blotches and being able to see multiple creatures and stories because my mind relates that one object to many other objects that I've seen that are similar and the first object will embody all their stories and ideas. (However I wouldn't say I walk through life looking at everything that way but if you asked me "look at that dress, what can you see" I'd be able to name you at least 10 different things,movies,objects,concepts (that most probably wouldn't even be cohesive for other people). Isn't this Ne? Isn't Ni much more straight-forward/clear line while Ne makes wild zigzag conjunctions?

·
Registered
INFP 9w1
788 Posts
The way you are going on and on about relating to different cognitive functions and seeing different possibilities is not typical for Ni-users, no. That's Ne. Your analytical, logical approach also seems like Ti to me. You are trying to fit new knowledge (MBTI) into logical structures and frameworks, in a detailed manner. Fi/Ne users usually have a much more personal approach.

I think I see you as an INTP.

INTPs also often get diagnosed with Aspergers. Dominant Ti and inferior Fe are pretty much like Aspergers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The way you are going on and on about relating to different cognitive functions and seeing different possibilities is not typical for Ni-users, no. That's Ne. Your analytical, logical approach also seems like Ti to me. You are trying to fit new knowledge (MBTI) into logical structures and frameworks, in a detailed manner. Fi/Ne users usually have a much more personal approach.

I think I see you as an INTP.

INTPs also often get diagnosed with Aspergers. Dominant Ti and inferior Fe are pretty much like Aspergers.
Thank you for still interacting. Retrospectively I do think I'm prob an INTP. Though I could understand if I'm a different type too. I guess the typing is just not that important to me anymore. By putting oneself into boxes we also lose the sight of the bigger picture where we're so much more than what typings can offer. And in the end people will perceive me anyway with their own eyes so it might not make so much sense to try to find out who I objectively am supposed to be. There's still a lot that I need to learn about myself but I don't think online assessments are the best way to do so.
But thank you for offering your help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
To add, I think the theories are more or less useless too (perhaps I should say questionable). I've spent some time on the personality database reading comments under the typing posts of fictional characters and real people, yet I've found more disagreement than consensus (especially if you broaden the scope and compare personality database opinions to different typing website opinions or reddit). To name one example, one guy who has mostly two types being voted: one being ENFJ (so an Fe dom) and the other INTJ (with Fe-blind spot) and people find enough arguments and references to explain both. Overall there is not enough congruence for me which leads me to believe that it does not matter to which conclusion I come when typing someone, in the end someone else most likely will find a different argument, which makes equally sense, why a different type has to be correct. If there is no "correct" (~ objective) solution then it looses importance (or atleast the need to objectively try to determine it) in my opinion. Perhaps this model has to be remodeled to create one with more congruence.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts