Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you feel about that/deal with it? I assume most of you have to deal with this or some similar form of negativity, because whenever I let my extroversion/silliness/craziness out I find that people enjoy me, but tend to conclude that I'm stupid or ditzy. I love letting my inner screwball shine, but thinking I'm stupid and thereafter devaluing my intelligence is not okay with me. I also need respect. How do you guys deal with this, if it's even an issue at all?

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I can't remember a time anyone has called me stupid. I've done stupid things, although it was never attached with me as person being stupid. When i get silly the reaction is actually received in a positive way. My friends enjoy the crazy uncut raw version of me. Maybe other ENFP have had experiences with name calling, this ENFP hasn't.

·
Registered
646 Posts
How do you feel about that/deal with it? I assume most of you have to deal with this or some similar form of negativity, because whenever I let my extroversion/silliness/craziness out I find that people enjoy me, but tend to conclude that I'm stupid or ditzy. I love letting my inner screwball shine, but thinking I'm stupid and thereafter devaluing my intelligence is not okay with me. I also need respect. How do you guys deal with this, if it's even an issue at all?
I know you're asking the ENFP's here, but I must add my two cents worth. As ENTJ's go I am pretty mild mannered, that is until someone tries to make me feel stupid in any way. I especially get fumed when they do it in a condescending kind of way.

Reactions: digitalceremony

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
noone's ever really called me stupid serious, most people tended to think i was smart. Most of the time i'm talking about some tihng i've read, heard on the radio or seen and i would often anwser questions in class...so i never had a problem displaying my intellect, most of the time people fail to see my more senstive side. I probably would take offense if someone thought i wasn't smart, and if their opinion mattered to me i would make efforts to demonstrate my intelligence.

Reactions: chickydoda

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
What @Ace Face said.

People never CALLED me stupid, but being a silly, outgoing, blonde, I get the "you must've been a cheerleader" or "Barbie" treatment....that is, until I get serious.

If you are wanting people to take you seriously, do things they said you couldn't. That has always been my favorite :) My first job was at a group home and when I told people that's what I wanted to do, they all felt the need to remind me of all the "icky" work I'd have to do..."you know you're going to have to ______, right?" "are you sure you can handle that?". Best feeling ever when I not only did it, but did it with a smile on my face :proud:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't remember being called stupid before and, nowadays, I'm never called stupid either, but I've done plenty of stupid things. As for the silliness thing, my friends love it when I let all of my crazy out, so that's never been a problem. People do call me weirdo quite a bit though and, not knowing how to perceive it, it bothered me a little bit in the beginning. Now I just take it as a compliment.

I actually prefer to be underestimated. Proving people wrong must be one of the most satisfying feelings for me. I wouldn't be too happy if someone spoke down to me though, so I don't give them a reason to think they're better than me or to disrespect me.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I often get treated sorta like a "artful dodger" or little scamp. It's good mostly, but sometimes people treat me like a child in a bad way.

Some people think I'm very dumb, which I am not. It is very annoying.

I relate with Jack Sparrow quite a bit.... everyone thinks he's dumb or drunk, but really he's sharp and just "different."

How do I deal with it? Some people I allow to think I'm dumb, I don't need to impress them. Other people I feel the need to prove my intelligence - normally with biting sarcasm.

sorry for the rambles.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've actually never had this problem. I have a reputation within my circle of friends for having extraordinarily dumb moments, but I've never been considered dumb by any means by anyone who I had reasonable respect for. It's quite the opposite, actually. In my hometown, I'm regarded as being very intelligent (unreasonably so, if you ask me :p). I was able to nab a position with the city purely based on that reputation--I would have been mowing lawns otherwise. I don't understand it and it makes things uncomfortable or needlessly difficult in certain situations. x_x

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I act silly in front of the people I'm closely acquainted with. And they take in the positive way. And in front of public, I act quite formally. You check why exactly they calls you stupid, is there anything which you've done which proves that you're goofy? If they've taken it in a negative way and if you've irritated them, and if you find that you were really acting stupid, then I suggest you to apologize.And if it's trivial reason, then you better give a shit to it.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I think there's different types of stupid.

I do the whole goofy, saying stupid/silly/sarcastic things because I'm hyper, and people think I'm being serious.

Then there's people that are really judgmental, and stuck inside their own box, and don't understand me- because they can't see things from my point of view, they think I'm stupid. Or there's the really annoying people, that think there is only one way of doing things, and its the way they do them. I personally think the smartest people are the open minded people that can think for themselves- and when I say open minded, I don't mean mainstreamers, I mean people that can think about all the possibilities/options, then decide which one is best for them, but can still understand and respect why other people choose their point of view.

A lot of people look down on me. I'm a ''victim''. If there's a ''hater'' in the room, they will find me with little effort. I seem to have more haters/enemies than friends, and that really gets on my nerves, although, most people only have about 5 friends, and I have a lot more than that, so I guess I can't complain.

I wish that people could understand that just because other people don't do things the way you do them, doesn't mean that they are stupid. Also, there are 16 (?) types of intelligence, so everyone's a winner! :-D If someone is dissing someone for not being as good as them at something, they are soon going to look pretty silly, because they are probably a better dancer/gardener/photographer/math wizz etc.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I've never been called stupid. Insane and random are usually the ones that my friends label me with. I usually just let myself be silly around people that feed that side of me.

·
Banned
8 Posts
I have been labeled 'foolish', but to live in a world so serious is a place I have no intention to reside in. I enjoy engaging in silly conversation, using inside jokes, and pretty much having a good time.

I will say, however, that my communication does not match my thought. I appear to be very choppy in conversation because my mind constantly moves and scans. It's very challenging to communicate and think at the same time. I assume that people may take me more seriously if I could communicate more smoothly. I have very intriguing thoughts and I determine pattern in so much, but it's so challenging to convey. I think my choppy speech may present the possibility I'm not quite as intelligent.

·
Registered
ENFP, 7w6
2,123 Posts
I love taking people by surprise. The looks on their faces when I flip the intellectual switch is priceless. I love being underestimated. I get satisfaction from it.
That statement nicely sums things up for me as well. I thoroughly enjoy pulling the rug out from those snobs who dare to pre-judge me. I know my own intellect and so do not feel threatened by others who jump to conclusions. People underestimate me at their own risk. :)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
There are lame people who think that just because a person is nice that they must be of below average intellect. I don't think you guys are stupid.

To anwer the question, INTJ's don't get their intelligence questioned very often. :proud: *stubs toe as he struts proudly acorss his room*

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Well I am not your typical bubble gum glitter puke ditzy sort of enfp. I laugh alot and crack jokes that only few will understand and I love to laugh at myself and my own stories, before other people even get what i am talking about...

But all things said and done people will describe be as "deep" or as an "over-analyser" before they call me dumb.

And if you think I am dumb is obvious we have just had a few encounters and I dint care you show you my face.

·
Registered
280 Posts
People might think I'm stupid. But I never show them what I'm good at. Just to surprise them at the end. I don't think anyone sees me as stupid, but if they do, well, someday they will change their minds.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts