1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*wears a long coat who does suit this short girl*
"Ahhh...life's so hard for being 153cm!!"

*suddenly finds out wallet has no more money*
"X, do you have 10 bucks? I'm broke (opens the mouth of the wallet and showed me)"

*need to go to a job interview so she went to buy clothes*
"reality tells me to wear a blazer" (given this girl has a strong style of her own)

What kind of psychology behind this? To show superiority?
Given these people are from pretty well-off family.

I never say these, and I find it odd to say it becasue life is obviously much harder than these things...

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Ahh first world problems/humble brags.

People (I think) usually aren't meaning it when they complain like this. Or they're being sarcastic. Or they are little kids who don't know any better. I hope that's the case, at least.

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
*wears a long coat who does suit this short girl*
"Ahhh...life's so hard for being 153cm!!"

*suddenly finds out wallet has no more money*
"X, do you have 10 bucks? I'm broke (opens the mouth of the wallet and showed me)"

*need to go to a job interview so she went to buy clothes*
"reality tells me to wear a blazer" (given this girl has a strong style of her own)

What kind of psychology behind this? To show superiority?
Given these people are from pretty well-off family.

I never say these, and I find it odd to say it becasue life is obviously much harder than these things...
So, I agree in some sense with @Maiden Suiseiseki that it's an expression that people use for an exaggerated effect, but if they're genuinely claiming that their life is difficult because of things like that, then I would say that it's all relative. They obviously sincerely believe it in those cases and that's because they're either very sensitive to environmental stressors, because the circumstance is difficult relative to what they're used to, or both. Many people think that life is really difficult because they have to spend an immense amount of time attempting to study and cram for their school exams. There are many who would love just to have the opportunity to go to school, instead being stuck in the lower-end of the socioeconomic spectrum (their life is hard to them). Even so, many people in the lower classes in Westernized countries are far wealthier and live much better lives then people in severely impoverished regions of say, Northern Africa and various parts of Asia - saying nothing of the conflict in some of those areas as well. So, their lives are also hard. The point is, one's view of difficulty really is relative to their life experiences. As a personal opinion too, I don't believe a person's troubles are invalidated simply because somebody has it worse either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts