Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've run into a few guys, usually NT types, that say something like "you guys are so much smarter than me" or "you guys are better students than I am."

When i hear stuff like this, I half think that a) this person just meant that he fooled around/still did the same amount of work we did with all of our effort or b) he was totally not meaning it. in this case, i was offended- because i could tell he didn't really mean it but it was expected of others to believe him. and obviously there were some idiots who got really excited by this comment, but i sort of raised my eyebrow and thought "really? cmon... you KNOW you're smart. why say this?"

so tell me ENTPs, what's the reasoning behind saying this to other people??:crazy::crazy:

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I myself have never said that to anyone. That seems like something that has more to do with the specific person than their type...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Honestly can't recall ever having to say that to anyone...ever...=O
Just kidding.
It's possible that he is trying to portray a certain image, and it seems to me that in some of normal society (Which doesn't make shit for sense to my INTP self) being open about your intelligence isn't the greatest image maker, especially in college. Its possible that they were simply molding themselves to fit a persona.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I hear this FROM people, and usually react to it humbly or attempt to reassure the person, "Not necessarily."
Occasionally, I'll say something like: "You would probably have more ease with this than I would." Would ≠ could.

But I think sometimes, intelligence is like penis size for an NT in terms of comparability and competence.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I can think of three obvious reaosns why someone might have said it, and there may be more.

Not enough information to compute......

·
Registered
72 Posts
He may be trying to manipulate the situation to his advantage. I know that I have only admitted one person to be overall smarter than I am, and she's an INTP. I don't readily admit to that unless I know that I know that I know the other person's smarter than I am.

Reactions: marzipan01

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I've run into a few guys, usually NT types, that say something like "you guys are so much smarter than me" or "you guys are better students than I am."

When i hear stuff like this, I half think that a) this person just meant that he fooled around/still did the same amount of work we did with all of our effort or b) he was totally not meaning it. in this case, i was offended- because i could tell he didn't really mean it but it was expected of others to believe him. and obviously there were some idiots who got really excited by this comment, but i sort of raised my eyebrow and thought "really? cmon... you KNOW you're smart. why say this?"

so tell me ENTPs, what's the reasoning behind saying this to other people??:crazy::crazy:
I can think of a few reasons why someone would say that:

- It could be a compliment if they meant 'book smart' and wanted to stroke someones ego...(i don't consider myself very book smart, more 'street smart' )
- Sarcastic comment
- Fishing for compliments , expecting something like 'oh c'mon you're totally good at...etc etc' (i do that sometimes when i'm in need of a compliment...i'll give a compliment first and hope to receive either a compliment or a pity party lol

·
MOTM Nov 2012
3,867 Posts
It might be like why I tell my work mate that her coffee making skills are so much better than mine; it encourages her with feelings of being needed and gets my coffee mug refilled.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I might say "you're better at x than I am", but I would never, ever, in a million years, say "you're so much smarter than me", unless I was trying to get something.

I think sometimes, intelligence is like penis size for an NT in terms of comparability and competence.
I want to steal this quote. :laughing:

·
Registered
Infj
1,018 Posts
even though i'm an INFJ i will come and participate in this thread ^0^
I haven't heard anyone say "you're so much smarter than me." but I've heard "you're really smart"
I have heard plenty of times where girls say "You play the piano so well, I wish i could play." or "You play the piano so much better than me."
people just want others to respond with kindness because either they want attention or more attention. :p And sometimes people need attention or a boost in self esteem depending on the circumstance. :D

·
Registered
953 Posts
I've never told anyone that they're smarter than me. Even in the rare situations where I do meet someone more intelligent than me, I wouldn't say that.

A few years ago I had the realization that when you tell people that you're smart, funny, or whatever adjective you want to throw in to describe yourself, it isn't really that effective. Instead it is better to have people come to their own conclusion about you based on what they see you do.

People often tell me that I'm smart and funny, without my having brought it up. It's their own observations based on my actions. It's also the way I like it, since I then know it's an honest evaluation.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Lure your opponent into underestimating your abilities and, then, when he's least expecting it, crush him. Crush him good.

Not that I would ever do such a thing...

or would I...?...mwahahaha... XD

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would be very surprised to hear an ENTP say that. In my case, I think too highly of myself to ever say something like this. I may compliment you on your intelligence, but I will NEVER say that I'm less smart than you. I'm not saying that this is a good thing, but it's how it is.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I hear this a lot from a friend of mine. However, I have only said it, and meant it, once. I said it as a compliment to a friend who deserved it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts