Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone notice going through the various forums here that every type things they are THE type most misunderstood???

I'm starting to think it's just people in general can't understand themselves so they blame it on the rest of the world.

*Disclaimer* I will say INFJ's are probably genuinely misunderstood. Man are they weird.

·
Registered
80 Posts
People understand themselves, to a certain degree, or at least they think that they do. Misunderstanding can come in 2 ways, words or action. " A man's meat is another man's poison", this idiom basically sums it up. It all boils down to perception, I wouldn't say that there are actually true or false perception, only those believed to be true or false. In the end, people, no matter how close, still lack the ability to fully comprehend another individual. And that's what makes this pathetic world sucks so hard.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Does anyone notice going through the various forums here that every type things they are THE type most misunderstood???

I'm starting to think it's just people in general can't understand themselves so they blame it on the rest of the world.

I agree with the first line for the most part, I agree with the second only somewhat.

If we're focusing only on type and not other factors here, then I think everyone is going to feel misunderstood because everyone is unique. In our daily lives, we all deal with people who are different than us, and most likely these people aren't going to be the same type as us. Then, we come on PerC, and when we talk to people of different temperaments, we feel a lot of the same thing that we do in our daily lives. This also happens to people outside of our type, even if they have the same temperament. But, when we post on our own type's forum, we start seeing so much we have in common (and maybe even have a tendency to ignore what's different about us as people). This makes us then feel "Hey, these people get me! But all of those other types don't. Man, my type is misunderstood."

The funny thing is we focus so much on it that we forget/ignore how we're misunderstanding other people. So I think that's why it happens to everyone of all 16 types.

I will say, however, that some types probably feel more misunderstood than others. N's in general do, but that's probably because sensors outnumber intuitives in real life (assuming all of the supposed statistics are true, I know that's been debated). I think I's tend to feel it more than E's as well. I also think feeling males and thinking females may feel it a bit more.

I'd say NF's feel the most misunderstood, with INFP at the top and INFJ second. ESTJ's probably feel it the least. But I think everyone feels it to some degree.

I do agree that part of this is people not understanding themselves. I actually think learning about the MBTI has helped me understand myself so much better. The funny thing is that for me, learning about other types has helped me learn a lot about myself, because I can see how I'm different than other people. That's why I like learning about type so much...it's helped me organize the things about me that are true for people in general, and the things about me that are more related to my type.

However, I think I understand myself way better than a lot of people outside of my type. So I don't think the feeling of being misunderstood is solely attributed to a personal misunderstanding that people have of themselves.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Did you ever hear an ENTJ whining about being the most misunderstood type ?
ENTJ's are probably up there with ESTJ's as being one of the types that feels it the least.

What's interesting is that I get the impression that NF's are probably more likely to feel misunderstood, whereas NT's are more likely to feel like they're surrounded by idiots.

NT's seem to be more frustrated by people in general rather than feel a desire to be understood. But I know I've seen tons of posts on PerC about the frustrations NT's have with others in their lives, and I think they can relate to the other NT's on here very well. I do think INTJ's have a bigger tendency to emphasize this than ENTJ's do, but even ENTJ's tend to vent their frustrations on here. So while I don't know if it's exactly the same thing as feeling misunderstood, I think it's similar...a feeling that others in your life just aren't on quite the same mental plane.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ENTJ's are probably up there with ESTJ's as being one of the types that feels it the least.

What's interesting is that I get the impression that NF's are probably more likely to feel misunderstood, whereas NT's are more likely to feel like they're surrounded by idiots.

NT's seem to be more frustrated by people in general rather than feel a desire to be understood. But I know I've seen tons of posts on PerC about the frustrations NT's have with others in their lives, and I think they can relate to the other NT's on here very well. I do think INTJ's have a bigger tendency to emphasize this than ENTJ's do, but even ENTJ's tend to vent their frustrations on here. So while I don't know if it's exactly the same thing as feeling misunderstood, I think it's similar...a feeling that others in your life just aren't on quite the same mental plane.

That's exactly right. Haha----> "What's interesting is that I get the impression that NF's are probably more likely to feel misunderstood, whereas NT's are more likely to feel like they're surrounded by idiots."

That was golden.

·
Registered
393 Posts
No, that's an INTP and ISTP thing. If you want to understand how people act when they are frustrated, look to their inferior function. This can lead to some very bizarre and out of character behavior. INTPs will succumb to Fe and feel that everyone needs to just understand them better and treat them with respect. INTJs (who normally have no qualms with highly theoretical constructs) will become convinced that they're the only ones who are grounded in reality due to inferior Se. INFPs will call others overly emotional because of Te.

Welcome to being human. I take it you're new here? Peoples' first reaction to stress is to externalize it. Of course as the saying goes "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean no one's out to get you". Every type does have things about it that no one else understands. That's the beauty of typology.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
I'm blatantly misunderstood. How many quarrels have I run into even on this forum for being misunderstood? I'm a female ENTJ, type 8 (the bitchy lonely rare type) with Asperger's and a different sexuality. My intentions are misunderstood, my words...It's great though because I LOVE fucking with people! :D. Confusing them, studying their reactions, surprising them and have them second guess me. This gives me so much power if I'm underestimated. I suppose this is Ni in action. Ni users don't want people to know where they're coming from. I'm even using Ni looking at being misunderstood from this angle actually.

I don't think ENTJs are misunderstood though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts