Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was browsing a photography book for a few minutes... and this is where I ended up with. :laughing: Since I don't have some of these functions (Se and Ni) and I learned almost everything I know about photography in the last 30 minutes, please feel free to correct anything I have misunderstood.

~~~

Disclaimer: This doesn't indicate your physical vision or your ability to physically notice certain things. That's different.

~~~

Se is like wide angle photography.

The chief advantage of the wide angle lens is that it can capture every tiny thing in front of it, but this amazing advantage is also its biggest problem because it misses out on what's in the distance.

The beauty of higher Se, especially in Se dom.

You can see so much incredible detail in the foreground that the fact that you can't see much in the distance doesn't seem as relevant to your life. There is so much to experience right here and now - the details of the rocks, the gorgeous ripples in the clouds. Who knows what's on the horizon? That cloud in the distance looks so hazy. Those mountains look so tiny. To not only figure out what those things are, but what they mean must be so much tiring work from Se's perspective especially when they're young. It's easier to be lost in the moment enjoying everything there is to experience.

Btw, I just noticed that the cracks in the large left rock form a stick figure holding its arms up (lower left quadrant of the pic). I thought it was funny and worth pointing out.

The difference between Se (wide angle lens) and Ni (telephoto lens)

What Se (wide angle lens) and Ni (telephoto lens) perceive

Did you notice the same mountain from Se and Ni's perspective? Each one has an interesting view, but notices a completely different set of details. Ni wonders about what the end looks like (or something really far out) and what it means. It sees that clearly or attempts to. Se wonders about what the concrete experience of the journey will be like. It sees that clearly or attempts to.

Below is another picture that illustrates the same point. It's not as pretty but it has camera lens info, so it explains it better.

What Se and Ni focus on based on function position.

If the immediately visible ripples in the water represent the present and the swans, trees and beyond represent the ability to see into the future (Ni), then this swan + lake photo series illustrates what Se and Ni see in various positions in the function stack.

1. 70mm - dom Se/ inferior Ni. Sees the details of the ripples in the water. Wants to experience everything the water can offer them. Says "what swans? You mean those white dots? What mountain are you talking about? oh yea, I guess I can see something there. Oh hey, that's cool. who knew that was out there?" If that water suddenly turns into a tsunami, they're alert and aware. They react immediately.
  2. 105mm - aux Se/tert Ni - Can see Ni better than dom Se, but sees less of the ripples in the water than them too. They can see both, but want to swim in the water a bit more than they wonder about what the swans. If they go too deep into the Ni end, they end up in a Ti-Ni or Fi-Ni loop.
  3. 200 mm - aux Ni/tert Se - Can see the water a little bit, can definitely see the birds and can see the swans too, can sort of tell the difference between the trees, but not as well as dom Ni. On the other hand they notice a wider picture than dom Ni. Figuratively, they also see the mountain much better than anyone else with the Se + Ni combination.
  4. 400mm - dom Ni/tert Se - wants to think about everything the swans have to offer. Dom Ni thinks, "what ripples? What birds? I thought we were looking at the swans and beyond and everything that means. Look at those trees and the building. That is the future. What do you mean you don't see what I see? Nevermind. This is the story of my life." Because Ni focuses so deeply on the things it prefers, it might miss out on something that aux Ni might notice like the mountain and the ripples on this side of the lake.

~~~

I'll add more posts later today and tomorrow about Ni, Ne, intuition in general and Si. I also want to post photos showing how each function becomes skewed and what it looks like when it's healthy if I can find the right photos for that.

How do I delete the attachment? :frustrating:

Attachments

·
Registered
817 Posts
Interesting! And as a photography nerd, you didn't do bad at all.

I think that focal length makes for an interesting metaphor in particular due to the effect it has on perspective. Wide angle exaggerates the distance between objects near and far, while telephoto flattens it. It's why wide angle isn't typically used for people photography...

Another fact about wide angle vs telephoto is that in general, wide angle lenses create less background blur. This is not always a positive thing! For example, it's another reason why telephoto is used for portraits. It helps isolate the subject:

------------------------------------

So, relevance to MBTI...

Se

Look at that conch shell... look at that whole beach of conch shells! Think I see some people off in the distance, too!

Technically this looks like more of a normal (40-50mmish?) focal length photograph than a wide angle but regardless

You can compare the 3D effects of wide angle lenses to Se, where the salient details of everything -- what's happening right now, what's here, what's there -- are very prominent. But the true subject of the scene, the heart of the scene, is deempathised. It's a small part of a whole sharply realized world.

Ni

Look at that conch shell... eerily perfect positioning. Somebody must have placed it there for the photo. Then again... Se's telling me it looks dug into the sand, which means it was here for a while.

Meanwhile, telephoto is like Ni. The active details of the world (how long would it take for me to cross that beach full of shells?) are compressed and largely ignored. You can't tell how long it'd take to cross the beach, the distance isn't even visible. Meanwhile, however, the subject of the image receives special focus. Ni types focus on the facts of the subject itself and its effect on the photograph.

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
Reminds me of the cult Occulus. They say they're in charge of what you see. :)

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ni perception

What Ni sees in a healthy state

3O97JHw7Q82n._SX300_.jpg

And then bam! This unexpected thing.

silent-evolution-musa Ni diving.jpg

Deep beneath in the intuitive world in those places others don't visit, Ni finds interesting things to understand and interpret. It's difficult for them to explain how they ended up there (because they weren't paying attention to the journey, let's be honest)and they can't explain what that place looks like because the rest of the world is not diving at their level (that's what the MBTI community has explained tome). They see something so fascinating and yet they struggle to explain it because we didn't sign up for deep sea diving classes. It's our fault. That's why they struggle from goldfish syndrome (opening and shutting their mouth without a word).

But on the other hand, when Ni goes overboard, it distorts reality and sees really strange things. Clearly that dude in the photo is out to get Ni. You should know better than to question that line of thinking. :tongue:

fisheye Ni.jpg

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ne perception

This is probably how the rest of the world sees Ne.

What Ne looks like from the outside.jpg

Shiny but pointless.

And jumbled beyond rescue. It can definitely hit that stage when it's unhealthy. When that happens, your best bet it to run away or take charge and walk them through a solution. Don't try to fix it from a position of inferiority (i.e. when Ne says it still wants to retain control). A patient (Ne) can't perform a surgery on themselves. Some level of surrender is necessary if things are that bad.

jumbled colorful wires Ne.jpg

This is how Ne sees the world

I'm going to veer away from photography for a bit because I couldn't find any real photos to exemplify Ne.

What Ne looks like from the inside - star constellations.jpg

That's a neighborhood map with 2 cul de sacs, but Ne sees beyond that. It sees the abstract data and patterns. What does this map show? What can I extrapolate about the city and state based on this? What information, literal (Si) and abstract (Ne), can I take away from this map? Where else can this pattern be applied outside real estate? How about the human brain? These are just a few tiny examples of questions Ne asks.

And of course, Ne diverges like train tracks and then returns to old trains of thought.

trainyard Ne.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts