Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have met an INFJ, she is pretty much 9/10 in every way; but she has terrible breath every day.

What is the best way to tell her that she has bad breath and get her to improve it?

-Do I research causes, tell her I used to have it and then give her tips to improve like no coffee, possible yeast infection treatment?
-Do I add her anonymously with a fake facebook account and then just link her to a bunch of sites to improve breath?

Any suggestions?....

LOL

ignoring it is not an option and neither is stopping talking to her.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
"look, I like you but you have bad breath, here is a packet of mints" *gives mints*

that ought to do it

especially important if she smokes

otherwise suffer halitosis hell

·
Registered
624 Posts
If you're interested in this person say it to her face with great care. Can't stress it enough that you should tell her in the nicest of ways!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"look, I like you but you have bad breath, here is a packet of mints" *gives mints*that ought to do itespecially important if she smokesotherwise suffer halitosis hell
No way, too insensitive, and I'd rather die than suffer halitosis hell.
If you're interested in this person say it to her face with great care. Can't stress it enough that you should tell her in the nicest of ways!
I will have to grow some huge ballz for this, but I am pretty sure she already knows, but just doesn't know how ot solve it.
Just say, "Hi, My names Hal, ......Hal E. Tosis to my friends"
Ah, so you tell her with a joke so that it is funny and not insensitive, yes I will be saying this; thanks.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Er. Don't tell her directly, because she will take it personal and feel too embarrassed to talk to you afterwards. Have a conversation with her and bring up the topic, but make it about an imagined person. "So and so is a really nice person, I want to talk to so and so more...but so and so's breath is uninviting. Hygiene is important, don't you agree?"

I don't know, just be smooth about it. Theta no nice ways of telling someone their breath stinks, so hint it.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
"You are pretty much 9/10 in ever way, except you have really bad breath."

<shrug> Say it directly, it'll hurt, be sure to let her know it's not the end of the world?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't think drinking coffee and smoking causes hallitosis - I am guilty of both vices - well, more tea than coffee - and I never have bad breath.. well, I mean I have smokey breath after a cigarette but I chew gum - so my breath is fine, it's just my clothes and hair that stink lol Although I am gonna stop... anyway, anyway... I digress.

It depends how close you actually are to her. I mean, I've had friends and a boyfriend or two who would have thought nothing about saying, You know I love, but go brush your teeth, you stink..' *shrugs* I'd rather someone told me, though I'd notice, as I have a very very sensitive nose... Do you know any of her close girl-friends who could mention it to her? Chances are they've noticed to? Set up an email account and email her? Or I guess there's your Facebook idea.

I don't think there's actually any way you could tell her without embarrassing her/hurting her ego if this is not already an established relationship - because if it were established, well, it'd still be hard, but easier because she'd know you were saying it for her benefit and not to hurt her...

I dunno what else to say, bad breath is THE WORST. It's easier to tell someone they have BO than bad breath - the interior or ones mouth is quite a personal space and if you really like her, you wont be able to kiss - if you're anything like me, the anticipation alone alone would have me wretching and gagging before I was anyway near their face...

Best of luck!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Ok, she's going to be mortified...even if you take the tactful route, it's going to be difficult for her to hear another person feels strongly enough about her "shortcoming" to make a verbal mention of it. However...I've ran into a similar situation with a prospective suitor but his odor was in the form of body odor. Like you, I couldn't get past it...not when there was such a simple solution to fix the problem. My train of thought was...sometimes, people are so close to the smell and so use to it, maybe they don't even notice? A bit like wearing perfume - sometimes you don't realize how much you put on. So I bit the bullet and decided to be honest. I did it, I mentioned it in the nice, polite, tactful way. Needless to say, he was a bit shocked...but at that point I was merely pointing out the facts as a favor to any future dating prospects that would come his way. Unlike you, I didn't have any interest in taking dating to the next level.

·
Registered
885 Posts
This thread made me go and brush my teeth :O

This is quite the quandary you got there OP.

My first reaction was maybe you will have to suffer it a little until you get a little closer to her. That way, if she is mortified and too embarrassed to face you again, it will be a little easier to bridge that gap if you were closer to begin with.

Maybe you can admit to her something unpleasant you have to deal with, stinky feet or something idk. This may make her feel awful, but if she knows in person she isnt alone, it may help her if she is embarrassed.

I really dont know though, this is tricky. Sail with care, my friend.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If it were me id just want the person to tell me and let me figure out why and how to fix it. Just be straight forward... whats the worst that can happen?

Honestly is she really that fragile that being told she has bad breath is going to ruin her world?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lol just say it all nonchelantly, "Hey you want some gum, your breath is smelling a little funky.". Then laugh, but not the haha kind of laugh, but a chuckle with a smile so she knows it ok and harmless. Then follow it up by telling her something embarrassing about yourself, like stinky feet, or bad B.O. lol. Just don't make it too serious or dance around it, a little honesty smothered in alot of humor goes along way.

Good luck!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have had problems with bad breath my entire life so I really feel for this girl. I usually can tell when it is bad because I get this funny taste in my mouth. If I can't get to a toothbrush, I try to find some hard candy to suck on or a stick of a gum.

My mom used to always point it out to me. At first, I would get offended but then I realized I would rather hear it from someone who was nice to me about it than hear it from strangers who would make fun of me or run away from me :)

Does she wear retainers? That has been the major source of my bad breath. I have worn retainers almost my entire life. If she soaks them on a regular basis (which I personally don't do as much as I should) that should help with that problem.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
"You are pretty much 9/10 in ever way, except you have really bad breath."

<shrug> Say it directly, it'll hurt, be sure to let her know it's not the end of the world?
And hope to God after pulling out the numerics that she isn't a romantic :p

Just offer her a stick of gum every time you're with her. If she says no, say 'you sure?'

If she has any intelligence at all, she'll get the hint.
Get some fresh breath gum and this strategy will work.

·
Registered
710 Posts
blame it on something she ate and give her mint/gum, whatever you do...
you probably shouldn't imply that it's always like that.....
depending on her sensitivity, that could be a stab for her...especially if shes never noticed it herself...

pointing it out once should make her more conscious of it in the future....she'll probably check herself before interacting with you from then on...
(especially if she didn't really eat anything out of the usual)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts