Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey! :)

i'm really interested in other INFPs' opinion on perfection and if you think anything can be or be made perfect :p
what are your thoughts? i'd just like a little discussion here :)

i absolutely don't believe in perfection, because it's something subjective and for me perfection means 'flawless in every way', so there's no way that everyone would think the same. i could write lots of passages complaining about perfection, but.. i just don't believe in it. does anyone of you do? maybe you have a different point of view?

i rather think most INFPs don't believe in perfection as well, but i might be wrong!

thanks for your comments! :)
sparkle9

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Everyone has a different idea of perfection, so, IMO, there's not really such a thing as perfection.

·
Registered
17,219 Posts
That perfectionistic tendency is my insecurity of wanting something to be the best and not feeling its ever good enough much to the delay of it happening. Like if I had to perform a song for people with my guitar and theres no way i could avoid it, you can bet id practice the hell out of it and still not feel like its any good even if it might be.
It comes from an insecurity of things i feel are important not being as good as i want them to be, always needing to be better.
But im not that perfectionistic about much i dont think.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think that we are all the same, we're born with an empty slate and the world just fucks us up :) So I try my best not to be judgemental of anyone - because I have no idea what it is like to be that person, to grow up under THEIR circumstances.

My idea of perfection I guess is when people embrace their imperfections and learn to love themselves for their ugly parts as well as their good parts, because when I'm looking for the most ideal, perfect person FOR ME - I want the ugly parts for myself :D what a more lovely gift than someone sharing their horrible truths?

okay, I'm probably going off topic and being irrelevant - im sleepy okay?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hmm.. Does Tom Hiddleston count?

But seriously, I don't believe in perfect. YOu can always continue to progress, become better. But I do believe in being happy. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes I do believe in the concept of perfection. But when I internalize it and try to realize it (aka perfectionist) it's very damaging to my pysche. So I just keep it in the back of my mind... like other's have said: "It's just something to work towards"

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have an idea of perfection, an idea of things that I imagine would approach perfection. But I also believe that there are things better than I could ever imagine...

I think it would also take a herculean effort for anyone to approach perfection (I keep saying approach because I don't believe that it's enough to reach your personal idea of perfection, you must keep going. The green light's always just out of reach, so you can't stop).

I'm going to use math to explain myself! My idea of perfection is like infinity in an equation involving limits. The limit as x (humanity) approaches infinity (perfection) does not exist.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I guess my view is influenced by Buddhist philosophy, in that I believe that perfection as humans tend to define it doesn't really exist, and seeking perfection leads to disappointment and suffering when we realise, time and time again, that no matter what we do we will never attain the state of perfection that we are aiming for since all things are fleeting and transitory.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The concept of perfection is an illusion created by the human mind that only leads to disappointment & distracts from what you should be focused on: betterment for betterment's sake.

Honestly, seeking perfection isn't necessarily a bad goal, as long as you fully understand that it is impossible.

I guess my view is influenced by Buddhist philosophy, in that I believe that perfection as humans tend to define it doesn't really exist, and seeking perfection leads to disappointment and suffering when we realise, time and time again, that no matter what we do we will never attain the state of perfection that we are aiming for since all things are fleeting and transitory.

Precisely, couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
510 Posts
For me, my idea of perfection isn't a goal ... it's more of a north star to let me know when I'm off track. If I'm heading away from it, something's wrong.

I actually think the achievement of perfection would be a form of death. There's nowhere else to go. It's pristine and stagnant, like some heaven I wouldn't actually want to live in.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
For me, perfection is subtractive not additive. People tend to think that if you can do just one more thing or add that final brilliant touch, then something would be perfect. You can add to things forever.

For me, perfect is when something is it's essential self, when you can no longer take away anything from it or else it ceases to be what it is. And with anything, a project, your life, there's only so much you can remove until it ceases to be what it is and becomes something else instead.

Reactions: sparkle9
1 - 13 of 13 Posts