Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hard time in college with planning how I will study. I try to be extremely thorough with my studying and can't move on until I have mastered a certain section of the class. I end up behind, and it just causes me stress. How do I know how thorough is too thorough, and are there any general tips on balancing all my classes? I'm an engineering student undergrad.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd employ you over a slap dash engineer any day! Engineering near enough is not always close enough.

sometimes no amount of questioning or looking at something from every angle will make it clear till all the other pieces of the puzzle has been presented. And then it all falls together like magic with no effort.

Perhaps ask yourself if what you are being thorough on, still needs other aspects to be learnt in order to understand or if it is something that needs to be thoroughly understood now.

One way to know /test how well you understand something, is to explain it or teach it to someone else. If you can't, you still need to work on it. If you can, then the lesson is thoroughly understood enough to move on to the next. Yeah?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I have a hard time in college with planning how I will study. I try to be extremely thorough with my studying and can't move on until I have mastered a certain section of the class. I end up behind, and it just causes me stress. How do I know how thorough is too thorough, and are there any general tips on balancing all my classes? I'm an engineering student undergrad.
You'll get used to it.
I was once an extremely perfectionist but I changed. I'm not a mess or anything, just more chill.
At first, I had to underline everything with the ruler and perfectly highlight etc
It took me 2 semesters to figure out my way of rewriting my notes and well MY way.
I guess it's that practice makes perfect thingy^^ but yeah you'll get used to it the more you face things.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Pacing, timing, what have you. That is your VERY REAL social clue. The pace of the course is the proper pace.

YOU are going to slow if you fall behind. So ... When they move on, you move on. They may drag you kicking and screaming into the next chapter, but, so be it. What you got so far is what you got.

Use your perfection against itself within a different dimension. There is width and breadth of knowledge, true. There is also speed of acquisition. That can be trained as well.

Anecdotal: Ever seen M*A*S*H? The 4077th offers great insight into this issue. Charles Emerson Winchester III is a perfectionist. If he has all the time he needs you want him doing the work. BUT ...

If you come in with 27 other guys and you are in the 4th tier you had better hope you're in line for Hawkeye.

Here is the video and the relevant clip is at 2:04

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have the same problem, but I always try a slightly new way to do things every semester until I get it just right. I think next semester will be the one where it all falls into place (I say that every time though..)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts