Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose I'm just curious as to whether other people feel this way as well.

There are very few things that I do consistently. I have a few TV shows that I watch, and have always liked watching, but pretty much all my other interests come and go in phases. For instance, for a while, all that i listened to was classical music, and i enjoyed it. One day, i suddenly decided to listen to country music, didn't miss classical, and enjoyed the country music. This time around, I went from country music to hip hop / general pop music. Quite a jump, but once again, I really enjoy it, and don't miss country music at all. It also applies to video games, normally the changes come and go more often than the music. I have gotten into and dropped several hobbies. Recently, I think that it has even started getting to my personality as well. I remember that I used to over analyze and over think everything, and I used to be very introverted. Now, I find myself analyzing and thinking only when I need to, and I really wish that I was more social and extroverted, but because of force of habit, i guess, I am so used to being an introvert that I don't know how to be social.
Edit: As far as I can tell, there is little to no foreshadowing of these changes

anyone else have that problem?
ps. sorry if that dragged on too much

·
Banned
1,244 Posts
I can relate to this completely. It's impossible to tell someone my hobbies/favorite things/etc because they change so often.

I'm also going through something similar. I'm used to spending a lot of time alone but I'm discovering that I don't need it. Start by talking to people more?

I don't think it's a problem per say, just how we function. (I wonder if it's an SP thing?)

·
Registered
423 Posts
I always listened to the same music and watched the same shoes but I've jumped from so many different things. I once got obsessed with paintball and one day just up and stopped, did the same thing with comics for awhile and even sports. I find a lot of things really interesting and stick with them for months even years but I have these weird phases when I get super into something only to drop it two weeks later.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Interesting, because I was just thinking about this... my ISTP behaves quite differently depending on who he's with. Not black and white different, but like a color: being against a different background brings out a richer shade of some aspect of his personality, like a chameleon.

As far as his interests, he definitely has flavors of the day -- though he always has his old favorites as standbys -- but that could be a Perceiver thing. I myself go through interests as quickly as my mood changes.

He SEEMS fickle (at times cold, inattentive, distracted, careless), but there's a big old Reset button too that gets pushed every morning, and I like to believe that that person is who he really is (warm, receptive, loving, committed). In large part, that Reset button is why we're still together, despite some NF-ST turbulence.

In other words, I think his true opinion (i.e. his default settings), once formed on something (for instance, on our relationship), stays very, very, very consistent and is unlikely to be modified greatly unless some paradigm-shift occurs (highly unlikely).

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think we bounce around because we have a constant need to learn, to understand how things work. Once we've learned or understand it, we become restless and begin looking for new adventure. I'm sure that's part of the reason why I hate routines so much. But I've come to realize in some ways routines are a necessarily evil.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good to know that I'm not the only one. I made the first post at like 3:30 in the morning where I live, and when I get tired, my judgement lets up a bit, and i didn't feel as whiny posting that, aside from apologizing at the end.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Interesting, because I was just thinking about this... my ISTP behaves quite differently depending on who he's with. Not black and white different, but like a color: being against a different background brings out a richer shade of some aspect of his personality, like a chameleon.

As far as his interests, he definitely has flavors of the day -- though he always has his old favorites as standbys -- but that could be a Perceiver thing. I myself go through interests as quickly as my mood changes.

He SEEMS fickle (at times cold, inattentive, distracted, careless), but there's a big old Reset button too that gets pushed every morning, and I like to believe that that person is who he really is (warm, receptive, loving, committed). In large part, that Reset button is why we're still together, despite some NF-ST turbulence.

In other words, I think his true opinion (i.e. his default settings), once formed on something (for instance, on our relationship), stays very, very, very consistent and is unlikely to be modified greatly unless some paradigm-shift occurs (highly unlikely).
I love that...."reset button".... that's so true! Sometimes I get so frustrated with my NF husband because he doesn't seem to get that even though I want him to leave me alone right NOW....tomorrow everything will be totally back to normal!

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
The reset button is a curse and a blessing. It doesn't carry over anything to the next day, which is great if you been down, angry, upset, or plainly demotived / depressed the day before. Likewise however it also kills all happiness, fun, empathy, courage etc. we may have had prior to going to bed.

Though, I take it for what it is, and given that my natural state of mind isn't made of sunshine, rainbows and unicorns it's a good thing :tongue:

·
Registered
640 Posts
It's impossible to tell someone my hobbies/favorite things/etc because they change so often.
I'm the same way. There's so many things to enjoy, so why limit myself to just one? I get bored if I stick with the same thing for too long. I don't see it as a problem, either, just a way to keep myself enthusiastic about whatever I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
i agree, the morning reset is a blessing and a curse. Can go to sleep being overjoyed and ecstatic and wake up in perpetual neutral state.

Also @Seamaid The chameleon thing is rather being able to meld in with the 'flow' of the situation (people, place, whatever) and being more at ease and doing things which come more naturally. I can just let loose and meld in with almost any situation if i want to. It is automatic even. I questioned if i was an istp, since i could very easily do that and take on other peoples voices/styles etc.

As for inconsistency?

I have had 3 major hobbies all my life and some others which jump around. But the major ones have stuck it through. Same goes for a few tv shows which i used to watch and still do. However, i have a tendency to lose all interest in something once i figure it out 100% or it becomes dull.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm the same way. There's so many things to enjoy, so why limit myself to just one? I get bored if I stick with the same thing for too long. I don't see it as a problem, either, just a way to keep myself enthusiastic about whatever I'm doing.
I guess i normally don't see it as a problem, but I'm currently in school, and the fact that I can't find a solid hobby / interest makes it hard to pick a club, activity group, whatever you will call them. To be fair, that is more related to the whole introvert thing, but interests come in to play as well.

also, it's keeping me from picking a major, so I'm having the school career help people dissect my briain for me to figure out what I'm interested in. It's actually a very interesting process. According to person I'm working with, I'm one of the most interesting people who they helped because of my self awareness, or whatever they said.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've taught myself how do everything from decoupage to hanging drywall. It drives my husband nuts. We bought a fixer upper and it's like a playground for me until Mr. Rules comes along. He won't let me move from one thing to another until I finish the first one. I guess that's a good thing because we would be living in a perpetual construction zone.

My hobby de jour is gardening. I can't even say it's a hobby anymore because half my plants are dead because it got boring haha

·
Registered
640 Posts
I guess i normally don't see it as a problem, but I'm currently in school, and the fact that I can't find a solid hobby / interest makes it hard to pick a club, activity group, whatever you will call them. To be fair, that is more related to the whole introvert thing, but interests come in to play as well.
I know what you mean, I jumped around from one club to the next in school. I just avoided ones that required huge commitments of money and time.

Recreational swimming club and science club worked well for me. So did sailing and outrigger canoe paddling. . . they were offered at cheap prices to students, and it was completely recreational. No obligations as you find in team sport clubs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts