Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am mighty curious with this subject as to see whether you guys do math the same way that I do.

More than often I hardly ever pay attention to the professor telling me how to do it. Instead, I take the initiative to read the chapter, analyze the steps taken, and then proceed with the examples to use what I analyzed and see if the steps in my head work the same way as they perform on paper.

Once I actually start on the work, I hardly ever reference back to the chapter and go on with how I learned it. In most cases, many steps are omitted from when I do the math. Not only that, but in some problems I would simply stare at the problem until the answer clicks in my head and makes sense. It is as though it just comes out of nowhere and is provided to me by some amazing cheese god sitting on the moon trying to help me along in life.

Is this the same with you guys?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
My old math prof told there were three ways of learning math.
1. Practice using the exercises.
2. Practice using the exercises.
3. Practice using the exercises.

He was right. Insight matters though, but that normally comes after practice. I don't have an intuition on a subject until I have properly mastered it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I also generally ignore the teacher's way of getting answers... it's usually a waste of time and I can find much faster ways that are in tune with my thinking habits and strengths rather than their drawn-out process which is intended to purge simple mistakes, yet after all those steps mistakes tend to arise as a result of too much handling.

I'm usually done with the exercises right when they finish explaining the assignment, then I'm bored for the rest of the class.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I suggest higher-level math.
Seconded.

I think math should be mandatory until Calc III & Linear Algebra.
(Set Theory & Differential is fun too, but optional)

Anyway, what I will usually do is:

1. Go to class (do NOT read materials ahead)

2. Try to predict what professor is going to teach

3. If your intuition is right, do some exercises to solidify the "predicted" concepts that you would have formed in absence of professor anyway. (very little motivation. just do it.)

4. If your intuition is wrong, hmm, it's interesting that your intuition betrayed you, so it will intrigue you to explore deeper into the topic, do some exercises (very easy since you are intrigued how.)

5. If you were faithful to steps 1-4, you only need 3~6 hours of study before midterm/final. (Just try to solidify important theorems, and do memorize them perfectly.)

·
Registered
131 Posts
You sure you don't mean *über*useful?
given it is THE foundation and all, lol

·
Registered
532 Posts
If I told you how much I make with essentially just first-year math, your ears would fall off. Math is *super*useful.
Seems to be this way with many jobs. I studied for four years and use basically zero of it. :dry:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Funny thing is, all the stuff I think I'd never use (advanced calculus, advanced linear algebra, some details of the properties of steel) are stuff that was very useful. Things I thought would be useful: not so much.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bleh, anything that you learn in math is a new tools that can be used in science therefore the immediate applicable technology.
Your intuition in problem-solving also gets better studying math, so if anything, that's a plus.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Okay you math nerds: can you explain this "mathfiti"?

[you may have to enlarge it]

·
Registered
131 Posts
That mathfiti is high school level calculus.
humorous in that the author exerts authority words like "bitch" which does not proportionally relate to the difficulty of the problem.

·
Registered
601 Posts
That mathfiti is high school level calculus.
humorous in that the author exerts authority words like "bitch" which does not proportionally relate to the difficulty of the problem.
Hm, still don't get how it was funny. INTP humor.:dry:

·
Registered
131 Posts
The joke is it's wrong. The minus sign at the sine is spurious.

INTPs. Always second best.
Oh, missed the negative there. :D
sinx cosx is another neat ans for that one.

(Disregard my previous analysis. Filo has the right one here.)

·
Registered
601 Posts
The joke is it's wrong. The minus sign at the sine is spurious.

INTPs. Always second best.
Thank you! I am not a math person. Foreign language is my "thing" [Russian/Arabic].

Reactions: Snowguard

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm starting to warm up to that. Love Russian novels, unfortunately, I have to read them in translation. Which one should I do next, War and Peace or Anna Karenina?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Funny thing is, all the stuff I think I'd never use (advanced calculus, advanced linear algebra, some details of the properties of steel) are stuff that was very useful. Things I thought would be useful: not so much.
Heh, this is very true. The bits I actually use are the things I thought I wouldn't need, or hoped I wouldn't need - now those things help, lol.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Doing mathematics is like someone speaking Greek to me...I don't understand
I usually understand the concept but can't apply myself in math and yes, I can do the basics but once you start giving me equations from Calculus to do, forget it
Math is trivial to me.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm starting to warm up to that. Love Russian novels, unfortunately, I have to read them in translation. Which one should I do next, War and Peace or Anna Karenina?
Oh woops I never responded to that did I? I thought you were being rhetorical. Hm, if you were a girl [which you are obviously not] I would say Anna Karenina. Actually, I would recomment Bulgakov's "Master and Margarita" [very Soviet era novel] or "The Brothers Karamazov" or "Crime and Punishment". Those are my three favorites. War and Peace is looooooong, even in English! :laughing: They are just as good in translation too, by the way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts