Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say you had the money to constantly move around the world, never staying in one spot for too long. For years on end.

Would you do it?

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
We had this discussion before... it was along the lines of which path would you choose...

For the life of me, I cannot find the topic thread...

But I do recall that I chose Yes for the scenario you described above.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yes, I think I would. At least I wouldn't get bored.

·
Banned
2,728 Posts
Lets say you had the money to constantly move around the world, never staying in one spot for too long. For years on end.

Would you do it?
I did this, I joined the Navy when I was younger. 70+ countries in 5 years.

And I got paid to do it.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
For awhile I would love to do that, but then I would want to settle down and spend time with my kids & grand kids. What do you want to be remembered for when you die? Who will even remember you if you just spent all your life traveling around seeing the world, not making any real connections?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
been there, done that...

and every time those nagging pressures to settle or get on with a mature, responsible life came around... it massively backfired.

so... yeah.

Though I'd likely develop a pattern between a few set positions... rather than the touristy bit.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
For awhile I would love to do that, but then I would want to settle down and spend time with my kids & grand kids. What do you want to be remembered for when you die? Who will even remember you if you just spent all your life traveling around seeing the world, not making any real connections?
meh... there's wifi or at least some way to get a message out.

And really who is going to remember me anyway?

let alone.. faithfully honor my memory.

And why would you really want to be remembered in the long run?

And for what really?

If I look at the majority of things people want to be remembered for... it's just sad, mindless, inspirational fapping material for socially disconnected and morally void post on a social network that people are hiding behind as proof they aren't narcissistic, vapid, sociopaths.

It's compiled list of their living regrets that they're unwilling to change or compromise... to which on the slim chance they recognize it then push it off onto the legacy of their halfwitted children that never got the time to actually learn anything about them because both we're hiding behind superficial sentiments of what makes a family, friends, relationships... always striving to one up the jonses in their secret wars and false niceties.

They never, rarely, want to be remembered for how they truly were rather than how they'd like to be... an unattainable idealistic fantasy as flawed as their dream lovers, families, and future aspirations...

(so let's drift between everything but the girl's "one place" and "the night I heard Caruso sing" or maybe apron strings...)

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Add another one under the "been there, done that, still doing it" column. In the last 14 years, the longest I have lived in one place is 3 years. My longest stretch overseas was about 4-5 years. I've visited about 60 countries so far, and worked or studied in 5 of those.

You really don't need a lot of money to do the backpacking thing, especially if you pick up work along the way. Stop dreaming and start doing ;)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Add another one under the "been there, done that, still doing it" column. In the last 14 years, the longest I have lived in one place is 3 years. My longest stretch overseas was about 4-5 years. I've visited about 60 countries so far, and worked or studied in 5 of those.

You really don't need a lot of money to do the backpacking thing, especially if you pick up work along the way. Stop dreaming and start doing ;)
I'm saving to go backpacking overseas right now. Not a clue how much I'll need though.... Any advice for the best ways to do it?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I'm saving to go backpacking overseas right now. Not a clue how much I'll need though.... Any advice for the best ways to do it?
Your biggest expense will be airfare and transportation. There's not much you can do to get around that. Cost will really depend on where you're going and for how long.

To cover food, lodging and entertainment, I usually tell people to aim for $100 per day as a very rough starting point. You'll live like royalty on that in places like India or SE Asia. It might be a bit tight in some first world countries. You can adjust that up or down depending on how much you plan on partying. You'll need to budget more if you plan on doing a lot of big adventure activities. If you cook your own meals instead of eating out, it will cost you less. If you do any WWOOFing or couchsurfing, that will cut your daily costs as well.

To give you a ballpark, you're looking at about $30-40 per night for a hostel dorm room (in Europe, N America and Australia). If you stuck with the $100 per day figure, that leaves you $60-70 per day for food and activities. Random factoid - most hostels offer a weekly and/or monthly rate that is slightly cheaper than paying by the night. Great option if you know you're going to be staying somewhere for a while. In SE Asia you can get a private room in a nice guesthouse for $15 per night (or less).

If you're under 30 and plan on working while you're on the road, check out Working Holiday Visas. US citizens don't have quite as many options as other nationalities, but they're still a good place to start. If you think there's any chance you would want to teach English overseas, look into TESOL/TEFL courses.

If you're not comfortable doing the independent travel thing your first time out, look into organized bus tours. Companies like Contiki and Topdeck cater to the under 35 crowd. In Europe, something like Busabout is halfway in between. It gives you the safety net of an organized tour, but you can follow your own schedule and stay as long as you want at each stop.

Anyway, that should be enough to get you started :p Sorry for the long post. Travel is my passion. I could go on for hours about this stuff. Lol!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
if you're in college/uni... skip the exchange programs and head for the international students directly... generally the starving student crowd, so you can build up a database on how to survive on pocket change ...

for food / shopping: focusing on street vendors, roadside sellers/independent farmers, discount cafes, back alley shops and freegan opportunities... those that might be off the tourist radar... also getting a better idea of what the local prices actually are vs marked up bleeding heart tourist prices.

health: the free clinics... actually leaning towards the sti clinics (wider than just hiv) as they're generally more "free" and anonymous and can usually still provide a general checkup or a referral to more affordable local resources.

building up social contacts before you go... the obvious through expat support or online, but also dealing with international students and recent immigrants that might have a cool friend willing to play guide...

similar note... (general) tutoring or english exchange programs... or just teaching english in general... the less formal groups than the socially focused -- yeah they're usually ripping you off on pay but provide more than a few options for housing and food with a small stipend ... potential conflicts tho, other than a bad situation, even as loose based teacher, you're expected to adhere to a certain (often higher) social standards and be more familiar with local customs more by your students than the operating businesses... like in one situation where I was expected to everything hang out in the public baths with no reservation but wear a three piece suit to the beach. -- also to be noted some groups are a bit more desperate for experience with certain skills than english skills alone... so that might ease up on some requirements.

in general, more general temp and seasonal jobs also can help round out your budget and travel opportunities... difficult to apply for or check out from a distance but you can at least get your foot in the door ahead of time. If you can manage a bit of physical labor then wwoof'ing (willing workers on organic farms) guides might be beneficial... albeit you should probably have a high tolerance for shitty living conditions.

as a chick... you also have more opportunities for becoming a temporary au pair... an easier time dealing with tourists or expats from your local area or wider region... being able to check out them out, have them check you out and negotiating on a contract / your responsibilities, expectations and limitations ahead of time. If you've got enough stored away for an emergency get out of dodge fund and to otherwise survive on your own... but just looking for a situation to extend your budget then that will get you a bit further. (common, base options, lacking experience, whether dealing with tourists/expats/international... if lacking a formal stipend or pay, two meals and housing... part time hours or days... if shared room/facilities then only with children of the same gender. And much of that is handled under the table, so it's not as if you actually need a working visa... although it certainly helps and offers some additional security)

but meh, the best way is to know what your limits are (housing/food, etc) ahead of time... think of it like moving to another location or essentially being homeless -- how low (from your current standards/expectations) will you go to survive... that rounds out a fair bit of how much you'll need to travel... and to always have at least enough that you can travel back home at the drop of a hat (at least double of whatever the rates are before you leave) ... and for the more security concerned, at least half of it in a separate account, that a trusted friend or family member has access to... leaving them with some legal power to make arrangements for you in case of a personal emergency or a more widespread issue (political turmoil / disasters / other events)

but meh, if possible getting a working visa or contacts in the region does round out a few things more...

(if you've got a of your own flat... housing exchanges are also good. Sometimes works out for roommate situations or even if you're living at home... going through formal informal channels of other "social" exchange programs.)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Your biggest expense will be airfare and transportation. There's not much you can do to get around that. Cost will really depend on where you're going and for how long.

To cover food, lodging and entertainment, I usually tell people to aim for $100 per day as a very rough starting point. You'll live like royalty on that in places like India or SE Asia. It might be a bit tight in some first world countries. You can adjust that up or down depending on how much you plan on partying. You'll need to budget more if you plan on doing a lot of big adventure activities. If you cook your own meals instead of eating out, it will cost you less. If you do any WWOOFing or couchsurfing, that will cut your daily costs as well.

To give you a ballpark, you're looking at about $30-40 per night for a hostel dorm room (in Europe, N America and Australia). If you stuck with the $100 per day figure, that leaves you $60-70 per day for food and activities. Random factoid - most hostels offer a weekly and/or monthly rate that is slightly cheaper than paying by the night. Great option if you know you're going to be staying somewhere for a while. In SE Asia you can get a private room in a nice guesthouse for $15 per night (or less).

If you're under 30 and plan on working while you're on the road, check out Working Holiday Visas. US citizens don't have quite as many options as other nationalities, but they're still a good place to start. If you think there's any chance you would want to teach English overseas, look into TESOL/TEFL courses.

If you're not comfortable doing the independent travel thing your first time out, look into organized bus tours. Companies like Contiki and Topdeck cater to the under 35 crowd. In Europe, something like Busabout is halfway in between. It gives you the safety net of an organized tour, but you can follow your own schedule and stay as long as you want at each stop.

Anyway, that should be enough to get you started :p Sorry for the long post. Travel is my passion. I could go on for hours about this stuff. Lol!
Thanks. That's a great post. :happy: That helps me a lot.

·
Registered
745 Posts
My history teacher told my class the other day that when he was in high school, he didn't want to go to college or start working and that his only goal was to go travel Europe for years after graduation. He went alone and bounced around countries for a year or two, so that leads me to believe he's definitely an introvert. The overwhelming response in my class was "I could never do that alone, I'd need another person to go with me". I personally thought the story was pretty inspiring, and I started to wonder whether I'd maintain my sanity if I did something like that. I mean he said that it's not a problem going alone because you meet people during your stay and that actually does sound interesting, even with a language/culture barrier. I feel like something similar to this would be good for INTPs.

I just thought this was relevant to the topic.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I mean he said that it's not a problem going alone because you meet people during your stay and that actually does sound interesting, even with a language/culture barrier. I feel like something similar to this would be good for INTPs.

I just thought this was relevant to the topic.
In my experiences... it was much easier to go alone.Other than visiting or crashing a friend's pad during my travels. Or the one mate that we entered and left a country together but otherwise went on our separate ways, just meeting up at set points. I found group travel to be the worst with my mates... they weren't particularly high maintenance or cultural snobs individually but as a group they just couldn't break out of the bad tourist trope.

Though on the other side... myself... another benefit.. as american and *constantly* being confronted with identity and culture politics... much of it was stripped away to just being an american ... most people didn't hold it against me. So it was kind of a relief in getting away from all the other labeling. And over time, even that was slowly stripped away.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
The concentration of psychic semen does not memories make.

Personally, I don't need much to qualify a connection as real. If I help somebody, that's good enough. If I affect them in some way, I'll be doing them a service. The want to have a family and all that would come from a different place. I'll be cliche and just say I would settle down for the sake of love, and nothing else, except money shortages.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts