Votes: 0 0.0%
  • inaccurate

Votes: 1 100.0%
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A person using extraverted thinking "endeavour ... to make all activities dependent on
intellectual conclusions, which in the last resort are always oriented by objective data, whether these
be external facts or generally accepted ideas" (Jung, 1971, pp. 346-347). Interacting with the
environment and using information from it, the individual comes to logical conclusions and brings
clarity to the situation.
In order to develop extraverted thinking, your goals are to get more in tune with your
environment and to see the logical order that exists around you. Some or all of the following
strategies may be helpful, depending on your natural preferences.
Temporarily suspending your values and feelings, but using your perceptive function (either
sensing or intuition), spend a short time each day looking for the cause-and-effect relationships or
ordered things in your environment. Select either your home environment or your work
environment, whichever is most comfortable for you. You may want to keep a list or a log of these
things, discuss them with a friend or colleague, or simply think about and mentally note them. Start
with simple relationships and put them into "if-then" statements. If I don't water my houseplants,
then they will die. If I eat too much, then I will gain weight. If I do not speak clearly, then my
students will not understand me. If I treat my staff with respect, then they will respect me.
Select a problem you face in your personal or professional life. This could be a
disagreement with your spouse, a gardening or home problem, or a project gone wrong at work.
Temporarily suspending your values and feelings, go through this problem in a systematic way.
Discuss this process with someone who is not involved with the problem. What are the symptoms
of the problem (how do you know you have one)? What exactly is the problem? Who is a part of
the problem? How did it become a problem? At this point, do not look for solutions, but rather
come to a logical understanding of the problem itself. Most importantly, stay objective. Ask the
person with whom you discuss this issue, to let you know when you are not objective.
Find a person who has a clearly differentiated extraverted thinking function among your
friends or colleagues. Arrange an interview in which you ask the person open-ended questions ofyour choice. For example, you might ask: "How do you solve problems?"; "How do you deal with
conflict?"; "How do you relate to your staff (students, supervisors, spouse, children)?"; "What does
friendship mean to you?". During the interview, suspend your own reactions. Remember that each
way of being is valid. Ask further probing questions, but do not argue against what the person says.
If possible, tape record the interview or take notes. Then think of that person as a model when you
are involved in your own context and try to think and act as that person would.
Choose one situation from your life, either personal or professional, and decide that
whenever you are in that situation, you will be logical, objective, and oriented to your environment.
Select a situation in which this will not be threatening; for example, do not start out with a deep
conflict with a spouse or family member! Next, plan in your mind or on paper what kinds of things
you might look for, what you might say, and how you might act. Rehearse some scenarios with a
friend or in your mind. After you have been in the situation, review what you said and did. Note
any parts of the encounter where you were not logical and objective and plan how you would do
those differently next time. Keep practicing. When you are comfortable, move to another situation.
To summarize, your goal is to be oriented by objective data and to come to logical
conclusions. You are looking in your environment for logic and reasons. You are asking "Why are
things this way?". You are filtering out the influences that you may have from your values,
intuitions, or previous experiences. Think of yourself as a "well-oiled machine," one that functions
rationally, objectively, and consistently

1 - 1 of 1 Posts